Author Topic: Any chance on Krikzz version of Terraonion Super SD System 3 ?  (Read 1274 times)

Offline pegoncology

• View Profile
Hello
I would be interested in save states and CD-rom images for my coregrafx. I alreay have the Turbo ED but those options are missing. I got a Ten No Koe but no so easy to use. So I found the Super SD System which seems to be interesting but I would prefer a Krikzz device.
Does anyone know if he is planning to work on such device ?
Thanks

Offline zaphro72

• View Profile
Re: Any chance on Krikzz version of Terraonion Super SD System 3 ?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2020, 10:39 PM »
Hello
I would be interested in save states and CD-rom images for my coregrafx. I alreay have the Turbo ED but those options are missing. I got a Ten No Koe but no so easy to use. So I found the Super SD System which seems to be interesting but I would prefer a Krikzz device.
Does anyone know if he is planning to work on such device ?
Thanks

On Twitter he said it would likely be the next thing he looks into but made no promises.

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2020, 12:45 AM »
The unofficial OS supports storing Backup RAM save files on the SD card. That's better than Ten no Koe Bank.

Offline pegoncology

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2020, 09:55 AM »
The unofficial OS supports storing Backup RAM save files on the SD card. That's better than Ten no Koe Bank.
I didn't know it exists. Does it work with first versions of Turbo ED ?
Thanks

EDIT I found the message in another topic. So it fully replaces the Ten no Koe 2, I don't need it anymore ?
« Last Edit: October 11, 2020, 10:11 AM by pegoncology »

Offline Great Hierophant

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2020, 08:20 PM »
I didn't know it exists. Does it work with first versions of Turbo ED ?
Thanks

EDIT I found the message in another topic. So it fully replaces the Ten no Koe 2, I don't need it anymore ?

You still need the Ten no Koe 2 if you have a CoreGrafx unless you have the CD-ROM add-on.  Even with the unofficial firmware I do not believe the Turbo EverDrive supports the Ten no Koe 2 (the Expansion Port device), only the Ten no Koe Bank (the HuCard device).  HuCard games only support the Ten no Koe 2 or Backup Booster 1/2 in the absence of a CD-ROM unit.  A CD-ROM game can support the Ten no Koe Bank.  If you imagine how these devices physically work, then it makes sense.
Check Out My Vintage Video Game & Computing Blog : http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2020, 08:52 PM »
Exactly, it only replaces the Ten no Koe Bank, not the Ten no Koe 2.
Ten no Koe 2, Backup Booster, Backup Unit and any CD-ROM device all works in the same way for Backup RAM, and you still need one of these to save to. The unofficial TED OS is only used to copy the save data in the 2kB Backup RAM to the SD card or vice versa. It doesn't simulate the Backup RAM or anything like that, if that's what you think.

I believe the unofficial OS only works with TED v2 though.

Offline elmer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2020, 09:01 PM »

No, the replacement OS does not run on the version 1 TurboEverdrive, sorry.

And no, it doesn't replace the Ten no Koe 2, it supports backing up the memory of the Ten no Koe 2 to SD card so that you can have more game saves, and so that buggy games (there are a few) don't wipe out the only copy of your other saved games.

It replaces the functionality of the Ten no Koe Bank HuCard so that you don't need it anymore (except that it can also run the Ten no Koe Bank software and create another 4 banks of saves).

If you imagine how these devices physically work, then it makes sense.

Yes! ;-)

Offline pegoncology

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2020, 09:09 PM »
Thanks all 3 for answering. It is indeed logical.
I tested the Ten No Koe 2 with official firmware and mine worked. I tested Neutopia and I got my save into the "File Cabinet".
I'll try then the unofficial firmware together with the Ten No Koe 2.

Offline Great Hierophant

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2020, 09:19 PM »
I am not aware of any limitation from the PC Engine HuCard's slot which would prohibit the implementation of Ten no Koe 2 device.  The HuCard slot has full access to the address and data bus and the enables needed to implement a 2KiB RAM chip, which is what the Ten no Koe provides.  I do not know if the Turbo EverDrive has the capabilities to implement that RAM while running a HuCard game. 
« Last Edit: October 11, 2020, 10:29 PM by Great Hierophant »
Check Out My Vintage Video Game & Computing Blog : http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/

Offline Greg2600

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2020, 06:08 AM »

On Twitter he said it would likely be the next thing he looks into but made no promises.

Really?  That's interesting.  Beyond obviously AV I/O, the HuCard slot seems to have most of the same data/system bus access.  Maybe the only exception is the CD Detect, which I guess Krikzz could find a workaround.  The SSD3 also has save features, and full system/arcade card support.  The main difference would be that it provides RGB video output without mod, but there's several devices and cables that do that now from the expansion port.

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2020, 11:54 AM »
I think Krikzz will make an expansion port device like the SSD3.

Offline pegoncology

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2020, 09:27 PM »

Really?  That's interesting.  Beyond obviously AV I/O, the HuCard slot seems to have most of the same data/system bus access.  Maybe the only exception is the CD Detect, which I guess Krikzz could find a workaround.  The SSD3 also has save features, and full system/arcade card support.  The main difference would be that it provides RGB video output without mod, but there's several devices and cables that do that now from the expansion port.

I hope we could choose between normal AV out and RGB. The Terraonion team told me their SD system 3 works with AV but no sound with CD games, it was already the case apparently with the original device if linked with AV

Offline zaphro72

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2020, 10:20 PM »
It's not a for sure thing and it sounds like if it can't be done via the hucard port Krikzz might not be interested.

Offline Greg2600

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2020, 07:08 PM »
It's not a for sure thing and it sounds like if it can't be done via the hucard port Krikzz might not be interested.

He didn't quite say that either.  He was asked about a "Pro" and his reply was it may not work.  I would assume like nuu said, if not then he would go the expansion port route.  I'm just saying that's a bit more work/development than Krikzz has done before.  Having to incorporate an AV component in one of his devices.  If he doesn't, who's going to buy it?  Furthermore, fitting a case to the port which fits on the PCE and TG16 is not trivial nor cheap either.  Now you're talking about the potential of having a mold created.  If I'm Krikzz, I investigate the HuCard slot exhaustively. 

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2020, 01:47 PM »
If the device uses the expansion port it blocks the only way to get AV out of an OG PC Engine, so I hope it will have both working AV and RGB, not just RGB.

Krikzz seems to have access to injection moulding technology and advanced PCB manufacturing that he uses for all his products nowdays, so I don't think the manufacturing process is a problem, no matter if it uses the expansion port or not.

The Terraonion team told me their SD system 3 works with AV but no sound with CD games, it was already the case apparently with the original device if linked with AV
Which original device? The original CD system should work fine with AV, and there usually isn't any other option.