Author Topic: River City Ransom Freezes in AV Famicom  (Read 4222 times)

Offline tris

• View Profile
River City Ransom Freezes in AV Famicom
« on: November 28, 2016, 05:38 PM »
This summer I bought an AV Famicom and also ordered an Everdrive N8 from everdrive.de (the famicom translucent red version). I didn't have any problems for months: I have tried FDS images, translations, hacks and even the VC exclusive Donkey Kong Original Edition works perfectly. Two weeks ago I tried River City Ransom, and even if the game boots, it freezes seconds after the actual game starts (after intro + settings, when you actually start to move your character). I thought that it may just be a bad dump, so I looked for the recommended No-Intro release and tried again with same results. Yesterday I noticed that a new version of the OS had been released, so I backed up the ROMs directory to my PC, formated the micro SD card and copied the new OS files + the ROMs, but the problem persists. Strangely, I tried also the Japanese version "Downtown - Nekketsu Monogatari" and works perfectly, but I don't understand a word of Japanese and I can't find any translation patches for this game.

In the unofficial compatibility list this game is completely supported, so I imagine that the problem must be the combination of the Everdrive N8 with the AV Famicom. I found another thread on this forum with a user that seems to have the same problem when using the everdrive with an Analogue NT

So is this a known problem? Could some other AV Famicom user try this game?

By the way, thank you Krikzz, I'm very satisfied with the overall quality of the product and I plan to purchase other Everdrives (MD, SNES and N64) in the future.

Offline Aether Knight

• View Profile
Re: River City Ransom Freezes in AV Famicom
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2016, 07:47 PM »
OK. I had time and loaded up "River City Ransom (U)" on my unmodded AV Famicom. Seems to run alright. Can move, scroll to next screen etc. without any problems.

Offline Johnny23b

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2016, 11:29 PM »
Bucky O'Hare keeps freezing with OS v15 on AV Famicom too

Offline BarbieOnWeed

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2016, 10:54 AM »
Bucky O'Hare keeps freezing with OS v15 on AV Famicom too
Works great here. Got to level 2 with OS v15.

Offline tris

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2016, 12:08 AM »
I tried again today various times and keeps freezing, sometimes in the first fighting screen and others after the first comercial area, but always while fighting. I even tried to format the microsd card in FAT 16, but it didn't help. Next time I will try with an older OS version.

Offline protheanbeacon

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2016, 07:46 AM »
Did you try with a different brand of SD card?

How about with a different power supply??

I own an AV Famicom as well that I had RGB modded by retrofixes and I tested River City Ransom on my system to see if I'd have the same problem as you with it but I didn't.

I also have the same red transluscent Everdrive Famicom version as you with the latest firmware update.

So I don't know what else to tell you other than I watched a video of GameTechUS's a while back and he was talking about Kevtris's Hi Def NES mod that they are apparently selling together as business partners and what GameTechUS noticed about some of the AV Famicom's that he was working on or just had opened up is that they had a different laser etched appearing chip than was usual to be found inside said consoles and I believe GameTechUS told his audience that those rare models for whatever reason don't work with the Hi Def NES kit or something to that effect.

Not saying you have the Hi Def NES kit yourself personally but I almost wonder if maybe you have a unit with one of these different chips inside of it and it's for whatever reason interacting with the Everdrive badly for this one game?

I dunno its just a possibility I'm bringing up for you...some more knowledgeable programmer type or krikzz himself is going to have to let you know if there's any potential validity to that.

I'm really just trying to help you cover all possible ground here in attempting to find a solution to your problem.  :P

P.S: My gut instinct is telling me that your problem is most likely power supply related or your SD card went bad and you just need to test out a different brand.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 07:49 AM by protheanbeacon »
krikzz products I own: SD2SNES, Joyzz, Everdrive GB X7, Everdrive GBA X5, Mega Everdrive X7, Everdrive 64 v3, Everdrive N8, Turbo Everdrive v2, Master Everdrive X7.

Offline tris

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2017, 10:32 PM »
P.S: My gut instinct is telling me that your problem is most likely power supply related or your SD card went bad and you just need to test out a different brand.

You may be right: after reading your post I checked my power supply and the output power is DC 9V 850mA when it should be 10V! I will try to find a propper dc adapter and retest.

Thank you for your post!

Edit: So as suggested I tried with different micro SD card brands and OS versions and the game keeps freezing. Already ordered a  new power supply that I hope may solve the problem:

https://www.amazon.com/AC-adapter-Famicom-SFC-Super-Japan/dp/B004IWS1RA

In my case it won't come from Amazon but from an ebay reseller from Japan. I just got the confirmation that it has been shipped some hours ago, so I will edit this post as soon as I receive it. If the game keeps freezing, I will just use my Wii to play it, as this is the only game from a very long list of games (even hacks and translations) that doesn't want to work with my Everdrive N8 / AV Famicom combo.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 11:00 AM by tris »

Offline PersianImm0rtal

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2020, 10:36 PM »
Hey guys, this game keeps freezing for me on my Sharp Famicom NES RGB. Is there a fix?