Author Topic: Force video mode  (Read 208 times)

Offline lllsondowlll

• View Profile
Force video mode
« on: October 18, 2020, 05:36 AM »
I am coming from a ED64P with altra64 firmware and just received my official ED64 X7

I am attempting to play a PAL game on my NTSC N64 but it loads to a black screen. Before, on Altra64 firmware, I could force the video mode to NTSC but I can't find this option in the latest official firmware anywhere. Is this not possible with the X7?

Offline jonesalmighty

• View Profile
    • GitHub
Re: Force video mode
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2020, 03:52 PM »
You will need to use the new features in save_db.txt file to force the region
Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth...

Offline lllsondowlll

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2020, 08:46 PM »
Could you present an example of the output to force NTSC? Do I just force =02 on the game ID? Or do I need to know the save type as well? I.e. =32. How would I identify what ROM requires what save type? Is there not a way to force this globally? Please advise. This seems like a regression from what custom firmware is offering.

Code: [Select]
This configuration file is for changing default game settings.
First number for save type, second number for game config. Game config options can be mixed using addition (1+2=3 for rtc+region).
ROM ID or CRC HI can be used for game detection. (check "ROM Info" menu for details). Identificators should be entered without space.
Upper records has priority over records below.
Also there is specific ID reserved for developers 'ED' With this ID cart will load config from ROM header (one byte at offset 0x3F)
Few samples below.
------------------save type
0 - OFF
1 - EEPROM 4k
2 - EEPROM 16K
3 - SRAM
4 - SRAM 768K
5 - FLASHRAM
6 - SRAM 128K
------------------game config
0 - OFF
1 - Force RTC
2 - Regio free ROM. Use native system region for game launch. For applications without region lock
------------------------------------------------------ CRC detection
0xCE84793D=30 Donkey Kong [f2]. CRC detection. SRAM
0x4CBC3B56=31 64DD DMTJ SRAM+RTC
0xABA51D09=12 40 Winks EEP4K+region-free
0xFA5A3DFF=02 Clay Fighter
0xbcb1f89f=10 kirby-1.3
0x46039FB4=20 kirby-U
0x0D93BA11=20 kirby-U
0x068B1271=60 Neon64 2.0 beta 1. SRAM128K
------------------------------------------------------ ID detection
N6=10 Dr. Mario. ROM ID detection EEP4K
AF=51 Doubutsu no Mori FLASHRAM+RTC
DD=31 All 64DD games SRAM+RTC

UPDATE:
Figured it out. Need to get the ROM info from the ED64 game menu, then disconnect the SD card plug in the save type, RTC, and force region free in the save_db.txt in the text editor on a computer, then place the SD card back into the everdrive.

I have to say, after spending more money on the official Everdrive X7 and coming from ED64P running altra64, I was expecting more. Pretty disappointed this is not an option flag that can be set on the main menu. I guess I will just need to buy a PAL to NTSC video converter in the meantime if I want to avoid hours manually setting each PAL game to region free...
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 09:55 PM by lllsondowlll »

Offline CrashOveride

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2020, 01:53 AM »
I guess I will just need to buy a PAL to NTSC video converter in the meantime if I want to avoid hours manually setting each PAL game to region free...

If you have NTSC hardware, why not just play the NTSC version? Unless you're trying to play pal-only games

I have to say, after spending more money on the official Everdrive X7 and coming from ED64P running altra64, I was expecting more. Pretty disappointed this is not an option flag that can be set on the main menu.

The ED64 OS was literally just rewritten, and altera is unofficial. Of course it's going to have features that the mainline OS may not have yet

Offline IRL Random Hajile

• Bounty Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2020, 02:45 AM »
That seems like it would be a handy feature to be able to force a video mode on a ROM! There have been some PAL only games I've been curious about, or games that were multi region releases, but the PAL version had exclusive things the NTSC variants didn't have and such. There was one game in particular that I really wanted to try the PAL version of, and that was International Superstar Soccer 2000. It actually has this RPG mode (also in the Japanese release, but removed in the North American version sadly) where you start off as a beginner and work your way up becoming a professional to compete in the World Cup Finals, but has a lot of varying events that happen along the way and branching paths that make it a memorable mode. Interestingly enough, it even allows you to have a love interest, and even gives you the option to seduce other women. :o

It's one of those things that really peaks my curiosity at just how unusual the concept is for a N64 Soccer game. But yesssss, I have a ED64 V3 and NTSC hardware and decided to test out forcing a ROM to be Region Free on the V3 using V3.05 X7 OS. Though by doing all sorts of tests this doesn't seem to work well on my end, and some games like ISS 2000 PAL says a message that the game isn't designed for the system I play on with Region Free enabled possibly due to the game being region locked (though I kept my expectations at a realistic level so I wasn't disappointed by the outcome of that). Don't have a PAL to NTSC converter with me atm, and my CRT that I play my retro games on with those charming scanlines is 60Hz signal only, so naturally playing PAL games on NTSC gives out a wonky display.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 02:55 AM by IRL Random Hajile »
"BH75001, Random Hajile... that's
R-A-N-D-O-M H-A-J-I-L-E."

Offline lllsondowlll

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2020, 02:58 AM »
I realized that my Super 64 will not pass the PAL signal so I ended up not going with the converter and put my expensive Everdrive 64 X7 away and I'm now using the Altra64 firmware on ED64P since it has more features and forced NTSC video while bypassing region lock. I will be waiting for the official firmware to "catch up" to the features the open source firmware has and check back in a few months...

Offline IRL Random Hajile

• Bounty Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2020, 03:27 AM »
Definitely would love to see this happen in a future OS update for sure! Being able to force NTSC video signal on PAL games and bypass region locking would make things far more convenient for ED64 users.
"BH75001, Random Hajile... that's
R-A-N-D-O-M H-A-J-I-L-E."