Author Topic: New FXPAK PRO Commercial 2020 Long Version.  (Read 1853 times)

Offline The Unboxing Authority

• View Profile
    • ChristianCourts.com
New FXPAK PRO Commercial 2020 Long Version.
« on: November 02, 2020, 07:27 PM »
This video took a week to record and produce.
YOUTUBE  https://youtu.be/JMU05pi0UpI 
LBRY https://lbry.tv/@theunboxingauthority:b/what-is-the-best-game-console-in-the:e

Thanks to all of you on the forum for your support and helping me get everything figured out, so I could make this video, and I anticipate there will be more videos to come in the future.

Now the story
:

Sometime back in July Everdrive.ME sent me an FXPAK PRO so that I would make videos about it, and talk about it in all my SNES Videos.
Emustation.Store also sent me a 256GB MicroSD Card that worked in the FXPAK PRO out of the box, although I updated the firmware so it can do the save states, super gameboy 2, and enhancement chips in one firmware. If the MSU-1 is supported in Super Mario Kart that also uses an enhancement chip, then I suppose in the future save states should work with enhancement chips and MSU-1 as well?

At first I ran into problems, and I wanted to make sure I made a quality video. My power adapters made noise on the screen, so I switched to a lead acid battery I had, and then a Lithium battery I had from a previous sponsored video. I also had to install the SaveState firmware, since emustation.store sent the super gameboy 2 firmware installed as I requested. My HDMI capture devices didn't work right, so I got the Avermedia 4K Ultra, and in ReCentral it works almost perfectly. It seems like it works right after it has time to adjust to the frequency. For the first few moments it doesn't seem to sync with transparent 60hz objects. I got the retroscaler2x to double the frames and apply a smoothing filter, and the smoothing filter did great things for most games. There still seemed to be some faint noise on the screen prior to using the AverMedia 4K Ultra and prior to building my new Video Editing Workstation, but my old computer put out a lot of RF that interfered with WiFi and all kinds of devices. Once I built my new computer, I didn't see any noise going across the screen in the SNES capture. The picture on my computer screen seems better than on the CRT TV. The latency with the AverMedia 4K Ultra seems to be non-existant, well almost. I haven't put it side by side with the CRT yet, because I don't think my monitor cable will reach that far, but I'll see later. The audio from the SNES was perfect, no noise in the audio I captured using my analogue to digital input on my PC to avoid latency. There still was some faintly noticeable latency in my headphones, so I try not to listen to the headphones and the direct stereo sound at the same time.

As for the FXPAK PRO, the only hiccups I noticed were minimal. There is a flash in the lower part of the screen on super Mario kart between levels when using the MSU-1 enhanced version (is that normal in the original game?). In the game Confront on Super Scope 6, there is movement in the background on pause in some of the later levels, but only on pause and only in that game on those levels. In Home Improvement and other games, the save states don't always work, sometimes they seem to freeze or lock up in the game. Once in Intercept on Super Scope 6, the screen zoomed in to part of the screen after doing a save state, thankfully I had other save states saved so going to a previous save state fixed the issue without a game reset. Some pre-loaded videos from Emustation.Store didn't play, I suppose they weren't set up correctly.

One thing that will be fun, when I know how, is to install a media player on the FXPAK PRO that can play a selection of SNES audio files, like people play on their SNES DACs.

Offline HansHintersee20

• View Profile
Re: New FXPAK PRO Commercial 2020 Long Version.
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2020, 06:01 PM »
Hi,

first it is nice to see more and more videos with footage of the FXPak Pro (sd2snes) going around.

There are some points which could be improved.
- Show your exact setup. It looks like you have used an cheap analog to HDMI converter like linked on your page "HDMI to 3RCA AV CVBS Composite S-Video Audio Converter Adapter Upscaler". These devices are well known to produce a lot of lag and they don't handle the 240p RGB pretty well.

- Here you call the video a commercial for the FXPAK Pro, but in the videotitle it is not named any more. People who search for FXPAK videos will not find it.

- In the video description there are a lot of links to things people should buy, but nearly nothing has anything to do with the SNES. LTE antennas, VPN services, ...

- There are no information how to setup the FXPAK, the technical details would be important to show what it can do. It is more like a let's play, combined with a lot of advertising for your own stuff.

- How does it work with the games on the SD card? You have THE solution! Through your site you can buy memory cards with all the beautiful pirate copies. Excellent move! For me and I think all of us the FXPAK is not a pirate device! I use it to protect my own games for the future, I don't need to stand up to exchange my games, make it easy to copy savegames to my PC etc. Based on the notes in your video and description - what would Jesus do? Do you really think he wants you to sell pirated game copies? I have the feeling, your intention to create the video is some kind of fishy...

Regards

• View Profile
    • ChristianCourts.com
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2020, 12:31 AM »
Hi,

first it is nice to see more and more videos with footage of the FXPak Pro (sd2snes) going around.

There are some points which could be improved.
- Show your exact setup. It looks like you have used an cheap analog to HDMI converter like linked on your page "HDMI to 3RCA AV CVBS Composite S-Video Audio Converter Adapter Upscaler". These devices are well known to produce a lot of lag and they don't handle the 240p RGB pretty well.

- Here you call the video a commercial for the FXPAK Pro, but in the videotitle it is not named any more. People who search for FXPAK videos will not find it.

- In the video description there are a lot of links to things people should buy, but nearly nothing has anything to do with the SNES. LTE antennas, VPN services, ...

- There are no information how to setup the FXPAK, the technical details would be important to show what it can do. It is more like a let's play, combined with a lot of advertising for your own stuff.

- How does it work with the games on the SD card? You have THE solution! Through your site you can buy memory cards with all the beautiful pirate copies. Excellent move! For me and I think all of us the FXPAK is not a pirate device! I use it to protect my own games for the future, I don't need to stand up to exchange my games, make it easy to copy savegames to my PC etc. Based on the notes in your video and description - what would Jesus do? Do you really think he wants you to sell pirated game copies? I have the feeling, your intention to create the video is some kind of fishy...

Regards

I used the RetroScaler2x without any lag. I had to use S-Video input, because I don't have an RGB to Component converter, or an RGB to HDMI upscaler yet. I have decided to run the SNES off of a Lithium 30 Amp Hour battery someone sent me to review, to eliminate noise from AC. Yes I showed the cheap SCART to HDMI converter in the video ;) I sent that SCART cable back, because I was unable to extract audio from it and thought it was bad. They said it's good, so I guess I need a different SCART cable or another way to extract the audio from it. In order to play Super Scope 6, I have to convert the signal into S-Video so my TV will accept it. It's a Mitsubishi CS-3103R and I don't know how to discharge it, or if an RGB conversion can be done. It doesn't seem to have a dedicated menu, just text overlays.

That's right, it's aimed at people looking to buy a console or games this year for Christmas or streaming or whatever. It's designed to get their attention. I want to make a separate review for the FXPAK PRO. The idea is to advertise the SNES as if it's a new product.

You don't need to setup the FXPAK PRO if you buy the MicroSD card from emustation.store using the link in the description.

Emustation.Store is not my site, they just sent me the pre-loaded 256GB MicroSD card. It had a few minor issues that I told them they need to correct. In 2014 someone stole all my games and gave them to a drug dealer, so I was unable to back them up before they were stolen. I didn't have a cartridge capture device or anything like that. They also stole my console and everything that was with it. Another SNES mysteriously showed up at my youth center in the past, so that's the one I'm using. I bought a new Super Scope 6. If the FXPAK PRO came with instructions on how to set it up, or came with something to put on a MicroSD Card, that would probably be great. Emustation.Store could sell the MicroSD Card blank, with only the firmware installed if they wanted to. Each one is customized for each user based on requests.

I believe that if Nintendo wanted to make money selling games, they would continue an online service to sell the ROMS for the SNES games, or sell cartridges, instead of putting a few games on new consoles. The Video Game industry is suppose to be all about selling games, but even though they have tons of games from older systems, they don't continue to sell them, or make them available on newer systems. I think Nintendo should have an emustation.store and sell the product instead. Would you have any objection if Nintendo sold the MicroSD Card for the FXPAK PRO?

I do have instructions on my site in the link in the video description with the firmware files and the things I used in my video, along with instructions on how to set up a DC power source like I did.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2020, 02:03 AM by The Unboxing Authority »

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2020, 04:57 PM »
I believe that if Nintendo wanted to make money selling games, they would continue an online service to sell the ROMS for the SNES games, or sell cartridges, instead of putting a few games on new consoles. The Video Game industry is suppose to be all about selling games, but even though they have tons of games from older systems, they don't continue to sell them, or make them available on newer systems. I think Nintendo should have an emustation.store and sell the product instead.
But Nintendo do have an online store where they are selling ROMs. It's called the Virtual Console and is still active on the 3DS and the Wii U. Other companies has similar services, like the Arcade Archives. There are also the minis which are emulator systems containing properly licensed ROMs. On the Switch, it's part of Nintendo's online service instead.

• View Profile
    • ChristianCourts.com
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2020, 06:37 AM »
But Nintendo do have an online store where they are selling ROMs. It's called the Virtual Console and is still active on the 3DS and the Wii U. Other companies has similar services, like the Arcade Archives. There are also the minis which are emulator systems containing properly licensed ROMs. On the Switch, it's part of Nintendo's online service instead.

So in order to buy any or all of the SNES Roms for the SNES, I need to buy a 3DS or Wii U, and get the 3DS or Wii U version, and then port it to the SNES? or are they SNES Rom files running in emulation on the 3DS and Wii U?

If I can find the cartridges that were stolen from me, or buy an entire lot of them that I can afford, then I will be happy to buy them. I don't know why anyone should be required to buy the same game twice for the same console, unless they want to play it on two consoles at once. I wrote my name on all the cartridges as far as I remember, with magic marker, and on the SNES console, controllers... but I do not know where the thief took them to, or perhaps the thief still has them and doesn't want to discuss it, however that is unlikely as the thief usually destroys anything they touch if they have it long enough.

I didn't download the Roms that came on the MicroSD Card from emustation.store, it just came in the mail pre-loaded. I was just asked to tell people about where I got them from so they would buy them from the same guy. I don't know if he will get in trouble or not. I don't have anything against him personally, since as far as I know he's not competing against Nintendo, because as far as I know, Nintendo isn't selling microSD Cards for Super Nintendo Entertainment Systems, because they have abandoned their customers who bought them.

I have sold computers. Even if I it's been so long I don't remember selling the computer, I am still willing to do what I can to help someone with the computer I built them. If I sold someone a flashlight that required proprietary batteries, and then I stopped making those batteries, and didn't give anyone a license to make or sell those batteries, then should I be upset with someone else who provides the flashlight owners with batteries so they can keep using their flashlight they bought in good faith?

If I sold a car that ran on proprietary fuel, and stopped providing the fuel or allowing anyone to sell it, should I be upset with someone for making it, using it, or selling it?

I'm not sure what Nintendo expects people to do. I know that clone consoles were sold illegally all over the world, and the buyers of the clone consoles were not prosecuted, it was the manufacturer of the clone console that was prosecuted. I have one of them, because my parents bought me one of those cloned consoles, pre-loaded with games. It's called the super fun play. Am I in trouble for owning or possessing the super fun play? I didn't make it. I didn't make the MicroSD Card in my SNES or put the pre-loaded roms on it.

If Nintendo wants to sell all the ROMS to owners of the SNES Console, that will play on the original SNES Console, then that would be great, and then emustation.store should stop, or Nintendo should give them a license to do so and charge royalties, but someone should sell the proprietary batteries, fuel, roms...

The excuses I've heard, are that Nintendo doesn't own all the licenses, or that there aren't enough customers. I don't think it should be difficult for Nintendo to get permission to re-distribute the ROMS from the license holders. What will it cost Nintendo to sell MicroSD cards loaded with ROMS that don't cost money to produce, since they are already produced? If others can afford to do it, then Nintendo should be able to as well. It's not like the ROMS need updates, patches, or product support, as long as they are not corrupted and work out of the box.

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2020, 12:44 PM »

So in order to buy any or all of the SNES Roms for the SNES, I need to buy a 3DS or Wii U, and get the 3DS or Wii U version, and then port it to the SNES? or are they SNES Rom files running in emulation on the 3DS and Wii U?
They are ROM dumps running on emulators on the 3DS, Wii U etc. Sometimes they are modified to remove strongly flashing screens and other things that goes against Nintendo's current policy. Virtual Console doesn't have all games for each system, only the ones that could be licensed for a re-release. They have to contact the people that own the rights for every single game they want to re-release, so it's not so easy to just release all SNES games again.

why anyone should be required to buy the same game twice for the same console, unless they want to play it on two consoles at once.
I agree. The Virtual Console and similar services at least gives people a legal alternative to downloading ROMs. It's great for people that no longer has their old consoles, or never had them to begin with and want to try some of the old masterpieces.

as far as I know he's not competing against Nintendo, because as far as I know, Nintendo isn't selling microSD Cards for Super Nintendo Entertainment Systems
Still, he is selling products that includes commercial copyrighted games that he didn't make himself or have any rights to make money on. It's not just Nintendo's rights, but all other companies that made all those games and still own the rights on them.

• View Profile
    • ChristianCourts.com
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2020, 04:31 AM »

They are ROM dumps running on emulators on the 3DS, Wii U etc. Sometimes they are modified to remove strongly flashing screens and other things that goes against Nintendo's current policy. Virtual Console doesn't have all games for each system, only the ones that could be licensed for a re-release. They have to contact the people that own the rights for every single game they want to re-release, so it's not so easy to just release all SNES games again.

I noticed that Yoshi's Island's main screen isn't CRT friendly, as it alternates between black/white and color. I'm not sure if it damages the CRT.

Well if the ROMS aren't too expensive, maybe someone could help me buy a 3DS or Wii U and buy all the Roms.

• View Profile
    • ChristianCourts.com
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2020, 06:54 AM »
I'm going to be making the FXPAK PRO review video soon, talking about features. I noticed that My Life In Gaming mentioned some features I haven't heard of before at 41:04 into this video https://youtu.be/h4tX7ZoWd44 but for some reason I had an uneasy feeling that something they said was incorrect, so I thought I'd run it past you guys, before taking notes and quoting what they said as fact.

I want to do a more honest review of the FXPAK PRO than what I've seen before on YouTube.
I want to list all it's abilities and features, but also what it hasn't been able to do yet, and the few glitches I've encountered, mostly because I was using savestates.

After listing all the features of the FXPAK PRO, I also want to make a tutorial showing how to install the firmware, games, and use all the features of the FXPAK PRO and what they do. Since people have asked for a unofficial MANUAL for the FXPAK PRO, I also want to put this information into a free to download PDF on my website, along with pictures of button combinations, on screen menus, and the FXPAK PRO itself, nothing I should get in trouble for sharing. I suspect that stone age gamer's manual is out of date now, with the new features. The way the FXPAK PRO is advertised and talked about in YouTube videos I have seen, it seems like it's advertised as a flawless product, that allows roms to play 100% the same as the original cartridges, however I've seen at least one case where I know for a fact that this is not the case. Also the savestate feature (that is great!) can cause bugs from time to time in games, or crashes the game in games it should work in like Home Improvement Power Tool Pursuit. I also once experienced a glitch where when I did a save state while playing the Super Scope 6, it zoomed in to part of the screen, but thankfully since I saved the save states in 4 different saves, I was able to go back to before the glitch happened, and continue playing. I think it's important for people to know that the original SNES games didn't seem to ever be engineered to work with save states, but that the Save States on the FXPAK Pro are great, and help to play through games a lot faster, as long as they don't crash a particular game. I think most of the significant glitches I've experienced are rare, except in the games where save sates don't work correctly, or in the Super Scope 6 came confront on later levels while paused, but I suspect not as many people have a Super Scope 6 and a FXPAK Pro, and probably would never notice unless I pointed it out. I have also seen text animate differently from time to time, but it's been so rare that it's hard to capture and demonstrate.
Now just as the Super Gameboy 2 firmware now supports faster speeds, and the Super FX supports faster speeds, it would also be great if I could disable slow downs in non-enhancement chip games, although I suppose the original hardware can't have slow downs disabled, since it's running stock on stock hardware, and you can't really mess with that unless you want to over clock the SNES somehow, as some have done. I suppose over clocking would cause hardware damage.

Also My Life In Gaming seems to suggest that the sd2snes can't support MSU-1 along with some of the enhancement chips at the same time, but the FXPAK PRO can... now as far as I know the more recent SD2SNES can do everything the FXPAK PRO can do, and is identical inside. So perhaps they got that part wrong.

But again, I just had a feeling that something that was said by My Life In Gaming is incorrect, and that I should check here, before making a video.

Offline Relikk

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2020, 11:09 AM »
Also My Life In Gaming seems to suggest that the sd2snes can't support MSU-1 along with some of the enhancement chips at the same time, but the FXPAK PRO can... now as far as I know the more recent SD2SNES can do everything the FXPAK PRO can do, and is identical inside. So perhaps they got that part wrong.

Coury was correct, as he was talking about the original revisions of the SD2SNES (Rev. E-J) when he mentioned that SA-1 + MSU1 was not possible because when combined they did not fit in to the FPGA. Only the Pro (SD2SNES/FXPak, whatever) with the larger FPGA can do this.

Offline zaphro72

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2020, 05:34 PM »

After listing all the features of the FXPAK PRO, I also want to make a tutorial showing how to install the firmware, games, and use all the features of the FXPAK PRO and what they do. Since people have asked for a unofficial MANUAL for the FXPAK PRO, I also want to put this information into a free to download PDF on my website, along with pictures of button combinations, on screen menus, and the FXPAK PRO itself, nothing I should get in trouble for sharing. I suspect that stone age gamer's manual is out of date now, with the new features.

My SD2SNES is a little older (bought just before the pro came out I think) and I got the Stoneage Gamer manual with it and I was a little disappointed in the manual. I thought it was too basic and had hoped it would have covered more on the unit.

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2020, 06:22 PM »
I noticed that Yoshi's Island's main screen isn't CRT friendly, as it alternates between black/white and color. I'm not sure if it damages the CRT.
Are you talking about an emulator or a real SNES? I don't think a SNES could damage the CRT using software. The TV is probably confused by the color signal for some reason.

the savestate feature (that is great!) can cause bugs from time to time in games, or crashes the game in games it should work in like Home Improvement Power Tool Pursuit. I also once experienced a glitch where when I did a save state while playing the Super Scope 6, it zoomed in to part of the screen, but thankfully since I saved the save states in 4 different saves, I was able to go back to before the glitch happened, and continue playing. I think it's important for people to know that the original SNES games didn't seem to ever be engineered to work with save states, but that the Save States on the FXPAK Pro are great, and help to play through games a lot faster, as long as they don't crash a particular game. I think most of the significant glitches I've experienced are rare, except in the games where save sates don't work correctly, or in the Super Scope 6 came confront on later levels while paused, but I suspect not as many people have a Super Scope 6 and a FXPAK Pro, and probably would never notice unless I pointed it out. I have also seen text animate differently from time to time, but it's been so rare that it's hard to capture and demonstrate.
The save state feature is very experimental. There are reasons it isn't made official. Making save states work on a SNES is very hard since the cartridge doesn't have access to everything in the SNES, especially the sound hardware. It's not just Super Scope 6, many games have problems when you have in-game hooks, save states and sometimes even the region auto-patch enabled, meddling with things that the game doesn't expect. I always play with them all turned off for this reason, and I usually don't want save states anyway. I have a PAL SNES and NTSC Super Famicom so I can play both regions without the region patcher.
If you have in-game hooks, save states or region patching enabled and a game doesn't work as it should, the first thing to try is to disable all intrusive features like these. Overclocking Super FX chip should of course also be disabled in that case.

Now just as the Super Gameboy 2 firmware now supports faster speeds, and the Super FX supports faster speeds, it would also be great if I could disable slow downs in non-enhancement chip games, although I suppose the original hardware can't have slow downs disabled, since it's running stock on stock hardware, and you can't really mess with that unless you want to over clock the SNES somehow, as some have done. I suppose over clocking would cause hardware damage.
You understood that right. The SGB2 and Super FX are reproduced in the FPGA, so the FXPAK can shape them any way it wants. But the SNES hardware is out of its control, and would require a hardware mod, which destroys your SNES.

And the SD2SNES and FXPAK are the exact same thing. Just a name change for legal reasons. SD2SNES/FXPAK Pro has the bigger FPGA which fits more enhancement chips at the same time.

• View Profile
    • ChristianCourts.com
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2020, 09:17 PM »
Are you talking about an emulator or a real SNES? I don't think a SNES could damage the CRT using software. The TV is probably confused by the color signal for some reason.

I'm using an original 2 Chip SNES with the 2 chip graphics smudging. The CRT TV doesn't like the main title screen of Yoshi's Island.

the savestate feature (that is great!) can cause bugs from time to time in games, or crashes the game in games it should work in like Home Improvement Power Tool Pursuit. I also once experienced a glitch where when I did a save state while playing the Super Scope 6, it zoomed in to part of the screen, but thankfully since I saved the save states in 4 different saves, I was able to go back to before the glitch happened, and continue playing. I think it's important for people to know that the original SNES games didn't seem to ever be engineered to work with save states, but that the Save States on the FXPAK Pro are great, and help to play through games a lot faster, as long as they don't crash a particular game. I think most of the significant glitches I've experienced are rare, except in the games where save sates don't work correctly, or in the Super Scope 6 came confront on later levels while paused, but I suspect not as many people have a Super Scope 6 and a FXPAK Pro, and probably would never notice unless I pointed it out. I have also seen text animate differently from time to time, but it's been so rare that it's hard to capture and demonstrate.
The save state feature is very experimental. There are reasons it isn't made official. Making save states work on a SNES is very hard since the cartridge doesn't have access to everything in the SNES, especially the sound hardware. It's not just Super Scope 6, many games have problems when you have in-game hooks, save states and sometimes even the region auto-patch enabled, meddling with things that the game doesn't expect. I always play with them all turned off for this reason, and I usually don't want save states anyway. I have a PAL SNES and NTSC Super Famicom so I can play both regions without the region patcher.
If you have in-game hooks, save states or region patching enabled and a game doesn't work as it should, the first thing to try is to disable all intrusive features like these. Overclocking Super FX chip should of course also be disabled in that case.[/quote]

Right, I haven't enabled overcloking the Super FX Chip. I only left the default settings on as far as I know. Like I said the original ROMS aren't designed to work with save states. Maybe with more work save state tech will work better in the future, but it's sure handy as it is on the FXPAK PRO.

You understood that right. The SGB2 and Super FX are reproduced in the FPGA, so the FXPAK can shape them any way it wants. But the SNES hardware is out of its control, and would require a hardware mod, which destroys your SNES. [/quote]

I thought about that some more, and if the ROMS were modified to use the enhancement chips to make sure the games didn't slow down, the original hardware would not need to be modified. As long as modifying the ROM doesn't cause the game to run too fast. In Engage on Super Scope 6, if you don't shoot the enemies fast enough, too many will get on screen and the game will become unplayable because things seem to skip frames. At that point you can't shoot the missiles before they hit you, because you can't see them coming when it skips frames (at least that's what appears to be happening on later levels). If the ROM was modified to use an enhancement chip, it's possible that it could handle more objects on screen and not slow down, as one example.

And the SD2SNES and FXPAK are the exact same thing. Just a name change for legal reasons. SD2SNES/FXPAK Pro has the bigger FPGA which fits more enhancement chips at the same time.
[/quote] 

Right, the way I recall hearing it in the video I referenced, he made it sound like the original SD2SNES was different than the new SD2SNES, and then the FXPAK PRO had a few additional features... but I think this just had to do with new firmware, not new hardware. Any SD2SNES with the cyclone V should be able to do anything an FXPAK PRO can do. Maybe I heard it wrong.

Offline HansHintersee20

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2020, 10:03 PM »
[1]You don't need to setup the FXPAK PRO if you buy the MicroSD card from emustation.store using the link in the description. [/1]

[2] I think Nintendo should have an emustation.store and sell the product instead. Would you have any objection if Nintendo sold the MicroSD Card for the FXPAK PRO? [/2]

[3] I have decided to run the SNES off of a Lithium 30 Amp Hour battery someone sent me to review, to eliminate noise from AC. [/3]

1] Do you really think this is a great offer? Even if you get the tutorials how to setup a SD Card on the SD2SNES website, here in the forum, on Youtube, etc. There are also ready to use ZIP files around.

2] The question here is not what you or someone else thinks what N* should do. Someone created the content - the games - and someone payed for the right to sell the games and decide how people get the right to play them.
Example, you have your Youtube channel and you try to earn money with the sponsored links.
How would you react if I take your videos, cut out all the ads, reupload them to my channel, earn money with your content? You will not be very happy with this, woudn't you?
If you have a look on the emustation.store website you will notice, there is no impressum anywhere ;)

N* is known to protect their rights. There were websites who gave away games for free and were sued for doing that:
torrentfreak.com/nintendo-rom-fallout-emuparadise-terminates-all-game-downloads-180809

Selling content without permission is even worse.
I personally would stay far away from such offers and I would not promote the FXPAK together with that kind of offers.

3] This sounds like some capacitors are gone bad or you use a bad power supply. Depending on the revision of the SNES there is a linear voltage regulator - 7805 family - installed inside the SNES followed by a big capacitor. The voltage is very clean as long as the capacitor is ok and the input voltage is stable at >= 6.7V, providing enough current for the system.
Often you see people using cheap power supplies which cannot provide enough current. Therefore the voltage drops and you get a noisy output of the internal voltage regulator.

The silver capacitors in the SNES are known to leak and damage the mainboard. It is therefore highly recommended to exchange the capactors.

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2020, 12:05 AM »

I'm using an original 2 Chip SNES with the 2 chip graphics smudging. The CRT TV doesn't like the main title screen of Yoshi's Island.
Is it the real cartridge or the FXPAK Pro?
What about region of your SNES and the TV? And how did you hook up the CRT?

I thought about that some more, and if the ROMS were modified to use the enhancement chips to make sure the games didn't slow down
Yes it might be possible to hack the rom and be able to avoid slowdown. But it's not a trivial job.

Right, the way I recall hearing it in the video I referenced, he made it sound like the original SD2SNES was different than the new SD2SNES, and then the FXPAK PRO had a few additional features... but I think this just had to do with new firmware, not new hardware. Any SD2SNES with the cyclone V should be able to do anything an FXPAK PRO can do. Maybe I heard it wrong.
The name change happened sometime after SD2SNES Pro was released. Nothing internally changed though, only the name. So there should be four variants with different names: SD2SNES, FXPAK, SD2SNES Pro and FXPAK Pro. The board does get smaller changes from time to time as electronic parts often gets phased out of production, but generally the changes shouldn't affect the functionality of the flashcart. That's why Pro is named Pro, so that people know that functionality has changed. It was necessary to change the FPGA chip (the old chip got phased out), and doing that does affect functionality for the better.

• View Profile
    • ChristianCourts.com
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2020, 12:41 AM »
It's Yoshi's Island on FXPAK PRO,
NTSC Everything,
The CRT is connected via S-Video, however my Avermedia 4K Capture card has no issues with the color.

So the "FXPAK" had a different chip than the "FXPAK PRO" ?