Author Topic: New FXPAK PRO Commercial 2020 Long Version.  (Read 1854 times)

Offline Relikk

• View Profile
Re: New FXPAK PRO Commercial 2020 Long Version.
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2020, 01:34 AM »
So there should be four variants with different names: SD2SNES, FXPAK, SD2SNES Pro and FXPAK Pro.

The original SD2SNES had ceased production by the time the name was forced to change. Only the Pro has had the name FXPak, so only three variants essentially.

Offline Aether Knight

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2020, 03:55 AM »
So there should be four variants with different names: SD2SNES, FXPAK, SD2SNES Pro and FXPAK Pro.

The original SD2SNES had ceased production by the time the name was forced to change. Only the Pro has had the name FXPak, so only three variants essentially.

My SD2SNES, er...."FX Pak" has the Pro name. Probably gonna be the rarest label variant since it had about a year before the change. Shame to. I liked the name SD2SNES, straight and to the point. FX Pak just sounds wrong. SNES cartridges were never "Paks", that was an NES thing and what would've happened if the super F/X chip wasn't developed by Redguy in time? It would be the "Pak Pro"?

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2020, 02:25 PM »
So the label variants are: SD2SNES, SD2SNES Pro and FXPAK Pro. I thought they would slap the FXPAK label on the remaining stock of the original SD2SNES as well.

Did the NES have paks? In Europe they where just using generic words like "cartridge" or "cassette" just like on other systems at the time. The N64 started using pak for all kinds of cartridges: ROM, RAM or rumble. Actually the Satellaview and other slotted SNES games used "8M Memory Pakku" cartridges in Japan.

It's Yoshi's Island on FXPAK PRO,
NTSC Everything,
The CRT is connected via S-Video, however my Avermedia 4K Capture card has no issues with the color.

So the "FXPAK" had a different chip than the "FXPAK PRO" ?
OK I have no idea why your setup doesn't like Yoshi's Island. Maybe the chroma pin in the S-video cable or the TV's connector is dirty or loose. But it's very weird that it only happens on the title screen. Yoshi's Island is doing some wavy motion effect with the title, probably using HDMA. Maybe that's the cause? What about mode 7 games like F-Zero or Pilotwings? The "Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy" level (1-7) in Yoshi's Island also uses wavy effects when you touch a fuzzy. Try that and see if the problem happens there too.

The Pro uses an Altera Cyclone IV while the original SD2SNES used a Xilinx Spartan 3. The Cyclone IV has more space for gates (logic building blocks used to reproduce hardware with). That's why the Pro can fit both the MSU-1 and SA-1 at the same time.
https://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=8578.msg66518#msg66518

Offline The Unboxing Authority

• View Profile
    • ChristianCourts.com
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2020, 05:24 AM »
So the label variants are: SD2SNES, SD2SNES Pro and FXPAK Pro. I thought they would slap the FXPAK label on the remaining stock of the original SD2SNES as well.

Did the NES have paks? In Europe they where just using generic words like "cartridge" or "cassette" just like on other systems at the time. The N64 started using pak for all kinds of cartridges: ROM, RAM or rumble. Actually the Satellaview and other slotted SNES games used "8M Memory Pakku" cartridges in Japan.

It's Yoshi's Island on FXPAK PRO,
NTSC Everything,
The CRT is connected via S-Video, however my Avermedia 4K Capture card has no issues with the color.

So the "FXPAK" had a different chip than the "FXPAK PRO" ?
OK I have no idea why your setup doesn't like Yoshi's Island. Maybe the chroma pin in the S-video cable or the TV's connector is dirty or loose. But it's very weird that it only happens on the title screen. Yoshi's Island is doing some wavy motion effect with the title, probably using HDMA. Maybe that's the cause? What about mode 7 games like F-Zero or Pilotwings? The "Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy" level (1-7) in Yoshi's Island also uses wavy effects when you touch a fuzzy. Try that and see if the problem happens there too.

The Pro uses an Altera Cyclone IV while the original SD2SNES used a Xilinx Spartan 3. The Cyclone IV has more space for gates (logic building blocks used to reproduce hardware with). That's why the Pro can fit both the MSU-1 and SA-1 at the same time.
https://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=8578.msg66518#msg66518

No issues when I touch a fuzzy in the game. No issues with color loss on other games, just on the title screen for Yoshi's Island. I figure it has to do with the Mhz or something.

The only other issues so far are in Super Scope 6 Engage on the later levels with the purple and blue spots on the background, and when paused they move left and right until I unpause it. It's rare when they don't move around. Does not happen with the original cartridge. Also from time to time the text animates differently but rarely.

When playing Intercept on Super Scope 6 with Save States, the game zoomed into a tiny part of the screen on both the CRT and capture card. Going to a previous save state fixed it.

With Super Mario Kart with MSU-1 Patch (didn't test it on the regular version) on the captured video, I see that the track (bottom half of the screen) flashes white right when a track is loaded.

I've seen a little graphical weirdness every once in a while. It makes me wonder if something between the FXPAK PRO and Console aren't quite right, as far as timing, voltage, frequency... or something. I believe I've ran the diagnostic firmware once before and tested it, and it checked out fine.

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2020, 09:37 PM »
Your SNES, game and TV are all NTSC, so I don't think it's frequency related. All those problems are probably fixed if you turn off all the bells and whistles (in-game hooks etc).

You could also try use a composite cable with the CRT and see if the B&W problem is still there.