Author Topic: Thinking of picking up an X5 — anything I need to know?  (Read 834 times)

Offline rlstine

• View Profile
Thinking of picking up an X5 — anything I need to know?
« on: November 16, 2020, 10:20 PM »
Hey everyone! I have an Everdrive 64 v2.5 and a Super Everdrive x5, and I'm thinking of buying an Everdrive GBA next. I do have a couple of questions though, and was hoping somebody might be able to help. First, does the ED GBA support both GB/C and GBA titles? Will it also run NES or SNES titles? Are there any GBA games the ED can't run? And is there anything else I should be aware of or that I will need to buy before ordering? For reference, I use a GBA SP and I have an ED-tested 16GB microSD card on hand and ready to go. Thanks in advance (no pun intended) for any advice!

Offline Richardragon87

• SNESAdvance Revival Coder
    • View Profile
Re: Thinking of picking up an X5 — anything I need to know?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2020, 01:52 AM »
Hey everyone! I have an Everdrive 64 v2.5 and a Super Everdrive x5, and I'm thinking of buying an Everdrive GBA next. I do have a couple of questions though, and was hoping somebody might be able to help. First, does the ED GBA support both GB/C and GBA titles? Will it also run NES or SNES titles? Are there any GBA games the ED can't run? And is there anything else I should be aware of or that I will need to buy before ordering? For reference, I use a GBA SP and I have an ED-tested 16GB microSD card on hand and ready to go. Thanks in advance (no pun intended) for any advice!

Q: Does the ED GBA support both GB/C and GBA titles?

A: ED GBA supports GBA titles like the real cartages did the GB/C titles are supported by the native emulation of Goomba an add on which emulates GB/C roms with near perfect emulation aside from occasional issues with some mappers in roms.

Q: Will it also run NES or SNES titles?

A: Like GB/C roms the NES roms run on native emulation of PocketNES as before it has near perfect emulation aside from different versions working with certain games and others messing up certain games mappers in order to run other more complex mapper games.

A2: As for SNES titles the device is unable to run them with the pre-added emulators that ED GBA has programmed into itself being Goomba and PocketNES, it can however work if one of two add on called either PocketSNES or SNESAdvance are added to it. These are pre-made emulators come in form of a application instead of being a program you add to your ED GBA folder which has all the emulators added to it, it uses SNES roms that get injected data into them to change them from SMC/SFC to GBA this emulation isn't without it's issues for starters it would require a lot of patience to correct settings in the converter to either have a layer in front of the other or vice versa plus it doesn't contain sound the emulation is what I wouldn't say average but far above it if enough time and effort is done to restore games as it does have quite a few mode 7 features added to it but would need a work around to make stuff appear on the screen without too much garbage left over... it's not all that difficult and I'll DM you how it works when you get your device.

A3: Imgur links below show how it can be corrected game shown in pictures below is Shounin yo, Taishi o Idake!!

https://imgur.com/a/lpxsOam

https://imgur.com/a/EFVLq5l

https://imgur.com/a/KW8jkJP

https://imgur.com/a/j3vH4Jb

Above shows turning a sea with garbage pixels around it into a nice one with a sun reflection glare along with font corrected in text and some minor transparency effects added... it may just be one game but it's a good chance others may work though sadly due to other stuff I only did a few games as a test run likely checking every value of a game would take forever but maybe in the future I'll try it again ^^

Q: Are there any GBA games the ED can't run?

A: Some GBA games the ED can't run are the prototype game Tyrian 2000 plus the GBA Video movie files such as Shrek, Shrek 2 and Shark Tale, I don't think any normal GBA games can't run on it but I do best to usually limit it down to the minimum as I try to avoid it taking up too much SRAM when the device remembers what game you played before and if it auto saves.

Q: And is there anything else I should be aware of or that I will need to buy before ordering?

A: Avoid knock off clones from ebay only get them from actual manufacturers like Krikzz and Retro Towers to name a few

Q: I use a GBA SP and I have an ED-tested 16GB microSD card on hand and ready to go...

A: That cart should work as my one I used on my EDGBA was formatted and worked on the GBA Everdrive too, but for further reference here is what SD card it can support if you want to add every format it supports being Game Gear, Master System, PC Engine, Neo Geo Pocket Color as well as the above mentioned ones it support - SanDisk Ultra 128GB *Red top and grey bottom* (10) A1 Micro SD XC 1 (Formatted to FAT32 with guiformat-x64.exe) which I just left it at the preselected setting and didn't use the highest space the card could do and converted it and that's all their was too it.

Hope this helps ^^
« Last Edit: November 17, 2020, 02:21 AM by Richardragon87 »
[quote Random dating spambotJ

Post changed:

Great, the photo didn't load! Does anyone know how to fix this?
In any case, my other photos can be viewed here, I will be glad to meet you, I love flirt))

P.S Richardragon87! Don't write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!

Offline rlstine

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2020, 03:44 AM »
Wow, thank you so much for these comprehensive answers to my questions! This is very helpful, and I hope others who have the same questions as I did will be helped by reading it also. Looks like I'll be picking up a Everdrive GBA X5 very soon :)

Offline Richardragon87

• SNESAdvance Revival Coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2020, 04:04 AM »
Wow, thank you so much for these comprehensive answers to my questions! This is very helpful, and I hope others who have the same questions as I did will be helped by reading it also. Looks like I'll be picking up a Everdrive GBA X5 very soon :)

No probs hope it helps and hope you enjoy it. Seeing SNES games run on it was a sight to behold even with limitations its one of the main reasons I got one after all those years, playing games with hacks to bypass glitched boundaries of the SNES emulation on it really helps your enjoyment on it. Also some of the best fighting games like Sailor Moon, to even Gundam Wing look amazing on the 101 screen but as said it really needs a lot of setting fixes to be the best it could be on a GBA, things like correcting layers so stuff appears kind of ruins the magic on how the SNES showed stuff on the screen it's like 1 setting will make the background go into the back of the screen while the sprites appear on the front while other settings make stuff that isn't there appear like solid objects to even a HUD.

As each and every time I changed values I started realizing how the GBA could process so many backgrounds and stuff at once, it was a fun experience to say the least even though the premade ED GBA pack provided years ago had an emulator section of SNES roms converted to GBA they had multiple flaws like backgrounds having garbage in them to even grid lines going all over the screen these things ironically can be corrected as are backgrounds over the front of the screen making it impossible to see where the sprites are.

Also just noticed the image date was November 22 2018 I think I put correcting stuff on hold on January 2019 after beginning on 11th June 2018 wow how time has passed it's almost been 3 years now xD I still play them once in a while on my GBA but only the ones I did improvements on them if they were fixed graphics or just better camera follow games based on how a real GBA game does it.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2020, 04:16 AM by Richardragon87 »
[quote Random dating spambotJ

Post changed:

Great, the photo didn't load! Does anyone know how to fix this?
In any case, my other photos can be viewed here, I will be glad to meet you, I love flirt))

P.S Richardragon87! Don't write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!