Author Topic: SD2SNES now displays gibberish at startup  (Read 1940 times)

Offline IrishNinja

• Half-man, half-amazing
  • The flowers are still standing
    • View Profile
    • Hondo's Bar
SD2SNES now displays gibberish at startup
« on: November 18, 2020, 11:52 PM »
hey all - i recently upgraded my SD card (for all the recent MSU1 stuff) to this right here
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073JYC4XM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_MqzTFbRR724YN?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

and it's been a mess since then, even went back to the old SD, tried rolling back the firmware, still getting the same result.  any ideas? here's pics of it plus the one menu i could get at

Offline Richardragon87

• SNESAdvance Revival Coder
    • View Profile
Re: SD2SNES now displays gibberish at startup
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2020, 12:52 PM »
hey all - i recently upgraded my SD card (for all the recent MSU1 stuff) to this right here
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073JYC4XM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_MqzTFbRR724YN?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

and it's been a mess since then, even went back to the old SD, tried rolling back the firmware, still getting the same result.  any ideas? here's pics of it plus the one menu i could get at

You need to copy all the contents of the update over the older ones meaning the old SDD1 and SA1 ones cant be kept individually, so basically underline all the folders contents of the update and paste them over the old ones. I tried doing what you tried and got gibberish text too... it has something to do with the way the update works where the separate older filers need to be pasted over and not just choosing the 3 common update parts to add to it. 
[quote Random dating spambotJ

Post changed:

Great, the photo didn't load! Does anyone know how to fix this?
In any case, my other photos can be viewed here, I will be glad to meet you, I love flirt))

P.S Richardragon87! Don't write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!

Offline IrishNinja

• Half-man, half-amazing
    • View Profile
    • Hondo's Bar
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2020, 10:17 PM »
damn, not sure i follow - i think i tried the update on the old SD too, so even that just gives gibberish. 

what base files exactly do i need to have on there to not get this, and then can i just update those the old way (pasting them over)?  again, ive tried older firmware versions and still keep getting this result.

Offline IrishNinja

• Half-man, half-amazing
    • View Profile
    • Hondo's Bar
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2020, 11:44 PM »
okay, so by trial & error i figured out my old version was 01.7 - card works fine again with that version, not sure how to upgrade as everytime i try, it gives gibberish again.  gonna try to upgrade to the next one up (instead of jumping to 1.10.3) and see if that helps!

*edit: it did not, anything about 01.7a gives gibbrish again.  what could i be doing wrong here?  most of the features are in that version, but i don't think FX chip stuff or save states will work, and upgrading by copying/pasting over the old files does the exact same thing in those screencaps i posted every time now...
« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 12:13 AM by IrishNinja »

Offline dreimer

• View Profile
    • Reimi's Blog
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2020, 09:37 AM »
Did you try a CLEAN formatted SD card with ONLY the contents of the firmware zip file added?

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2020, 12:44 PM »
Yes, never paste over files. That will just become a mix of old and new files and all sorts of things can happen.
Always delete the old OS and copy over a freshly unzipped copy of the new OS. Just backup any files you want to keep (save files, BIOS files you added yourself, save states etc) before deleting the old OS.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 12:46 PM by nuu »

Offline Richardragon87

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2020, 05:19 PM »
Yes, never paste over files. That will just become a mix of old and new files and all sorts of things can happen.
Always delete the old OS and copy over a freshly unzipped copy of the new OS. Just backup any files you want to keep (save files, BIOS files you added yourself, save states etc) before deleting the old OS.

That makes no sense as they provide you with the same files in every update the SD2SNES folder has,  I tried to not update every file so I just copied the ones called firmware.img and fpga_gsu.bit and menu.bin and I got a gibberish screen it was like trying to update sd2snes_firmware_v1.9.0 as if I recall I used to have an older firmware version which back then didn't support the official SA1 add on and wanted to keep Redguys unofficial versions without replacing the ones I already had so I ignored the files called fpga_base.bit and bsxpage.bin and fpga_cx4.bit and fpga_obc1.bit and lastly fpga_sa1.bit and by just copying the 3 1st ones it caused a garbled menu with nothing working so I just copied and pasted all the content into the SD card that I already had of course creating a back up of my older verison in case It went wrong and to my surprise it all worked again.

Post changed:

In any case, my other photos can be viewed here, I will be glad to meet you, I love flirt))

Offline IrishNinja

• Half-man, half-amazing
    • View Profile
    • Hondo's Bar
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2020, 09:17 PM »
yeah, using the old card, I've wiped it & tried just having the latest firmware on there, same results. i'm mostly experimenting with that one, as the new one has a ton of msu1 files/ROMs so moving it back & forth makes no sense until i resolve this issue.

ill format the old one and try newest firmware on it clean again tonight, here's to hoping for better results

Offline Richardragon87

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2020, 01:33 AM »
yeah, using the old card, I've wiped it & tried just having the latest firmware on there, same results. i'm mostly experimenting with that one, as the new one has a ton of msu1 files/ROMs so moving it back & forth makes no sense until i resolve this issue.

ill format the old one and try newest firmware on it clean again tonight, here's to hoping for better results

Try using my version here is the un-updated one am not sure what it had still missing to it but it's a good start - https://www.sendspace.com/file/1y625i

Post changed:

Offline IrishNinja

• Half-man, half-amazing
    • View Profile
    • Hondo's Bar
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2020, 04:53 AM »
Try using my version here is the un-updated one am not sure what it had still missing to it but it's a good start - https://www.sendspace.com/file/1y625i

appreciate it!
sadly, formatted the old SD (FAT32 still, of course) and unloaded the contents of your link onto it, and...back to gibberish  :-\

since 0.1.7a seems to be the highest working version at the moment, i think next ill just format this old one again and keep trying a clean install of the next versions and see what comes of it.  only change i've noticed is that now the system boots up and shows the root folder sd2snes, i could've sworn it used to boot into the next one with cheats, saves, msu1, roms etc.  anyway, wish me luck!

Offline IrishNinja

• Half-man, half-amazing
    • View Profile
    • Hondo's Bar
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2020, 04:59 AM »
Did you try a CLEAN formatted SD card with ONLY the contents of the firmware zip file added?

okay yeah, just did this with 0.1.7b, and...gibberish again.  i could keep trying with newer versions, but i doubt i'm gonna see much difference here?
should i assume my board is partly borked, or is there any other feasible reason why my sd2snes can only seem to work with 0.1.7a?  again, was hoping to have this sorted before the black friday sale...

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2020, 12:48 PM »
If reformatting the card didn't fix it, there might be a problem with the OS update or your SD2SNES. You might want to try contact Krikzz, ikari_01 or the seller.

Did you format the SD card with "quick format" as option the first time? You should do a full format with the card at least once, and don't trust that the factory has done this for you.

That makes no sense as they provide you with the same files in every update the SD2SNES folder has,  I tried to not update every file so I just copied the ones called firmware.img and fpga_gsu.bit and menu.bin and I got a gibberish screen it was like trying to update sd2snes_firmware_v1.9.0 as if I recall I used to have an older firmware version which back then didn't support the official SA1 add on and wanted to keep Redguys unofficial versions without replacing the ones I already had so I ignored the files called fpga_base.bit and bsxpage.bin and fpga_cx4.bit and fpga_obc1.bit and lastly fpga_sa1.bit and by just copying the 3 1st ones it caused a garbled menu with nothing working so I just copied and pasted all the content into the SD card that I already had of course creating a back up of my older verison in case It went wrong and to my surprise it all worked again.
No, files do change sometimes, and pasting over files like that might also cause fragmentation which the flashcart really doesn't like. I strongly recommend to delete the whole OS folder, reformat if necessary but not needlessly, and copy a new one from the computer. Don't unzip directly to the SD card either as that might also cause more fragmentation. Unzip to computer then copy to SD.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 12:53 PM by nuu »

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2020, 11:11 AM »
You are not placing the rom files in the SD2SNES folder are you? That seems to be a cause for this issue:
https://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=10478.msg78413#msg78413

All rom, spc and such files should go into their own folders in the root of the SD.

Offline Richardragon87

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2020, 11:39 AM »

No, files do change sometimes, and pasting over files like that might also cause fragmentation which the flashcart really doesn't like. I strongly recommend to delete the whole OS folder, reformat if necessary but not needlessly, and copy a new one from the computer. Don't unzip directly to the SD card either as that might also cause more fragmentation. Unzip to computer then copy to SD.

Then how did I manage to come across that error when I updated the OS to the latest one leaving all older files I had gotten from Red Guy back then, nothing even worked until I used their ones provided sadly for me copying only the 3 main ones didn't make the screen un glitch until I just added all of their ones.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2020, 11:43 AM by Richardragon87 »

Post changed:

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2020, 07:22 PM »
I have no idea what files you used, or the cause of your problems. I'm just saying that it's not worth it to try pasting over old files instead of deleting the whole folder and pasting a freshly unzipped one when updating the OS. I don't see any benefits, only potential problems.