Author Topic: save data (.fla) not working after X5 internal battery died  (Read 778 times)

Offline jd213

• View Profile
save data (.fla) not working after X5 internal battery died
« on: November 26, 2020, 11:58 AM »
Turned on my GBA the other night, but it came up with the "Internal battery has run dry" message.

Don't need the RTC for any game I'm currently playing, but when I tried to continue in an RPG (Super Robot Taisen R, .fla format save data), it wouldn't recognize my save data.

So I installed a new battery, but was still getting the "Internal battery has run dry" message, so I updated the firmware.  That seemed to fix the battery message issue, but my save data still won't load.

Backed up the save data file to my PC, started a new game, and confirmed that the new save data works.  Copied the old save data back to the ED, selected the old data in the GBASYS>Save folder then used "Copy file to RAM", but the game still doesn't recognize it. So did my save data file get corrupted somehow?  Will attach the save file if anyone wants to check it out.

Thank you in advance to anyone who can help.

Offline Shadow666

• View Profile
Re: save data (.fla) not working after X5 internal battery died
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2020, 05:04 PM »
Turned on my GBA the other night, but it came up with the "Internal battery has run dry" message.

Don't need the RTC for any game I'm currently playing, but when I tried to continue in an RPG (Super Robot Taisen R, .fla format save data), it wouldn't recognize my save data.

So I installed a new battery, but was still getting the "Internal battery has run dry" message, so I updated the firmware.  That seemed to fix the battery message issue, but my save data still won't load.

Backed up the save data file to my PC, started a new game, and confirmed that the new save data works.  Copied the old save data back to the ED, selected the old data in the GBASYS>Save folder then used "Copy file to RAM", but the game still doesn't recognize it. So did my save data file get corrupted somehow?  Will attach the save file if anyone wants to check it out.

Thank you in advance to anyone who can help.

if save was in ram then battery died its gone for good

Offline jd213

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2020, 05:24 PM »
But the save is backed up to the above .fla file, is it not?

Offline James Cree

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2020, 10:55 PM »
But the save is backed up to the above .fla file, is it not?

It was likely overwritten by the blank save that occurred when the battery died.

Offline jd213

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2020, 04:51 AM »
Great, so 100+ hours lost because the Everdrive overwrote a save file without asking me...

Offline Shadow666

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2020, 05:04 AM »
Great, so 100+ hours lost because the Everdrive overwrote a save file without asking me...

Yea the flashcart took revenge on u for pirating

Offline jd213

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2020, 05:13 AM »
I actually own the original cart, but was playing on the Everdrive because I thought my save data would be safer, ironically enough...

Offline Shadow666

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2020, 05:17 AM »
I actually own the original cart, but was playing on the Everdrive because I thought my save data would be safer, ironically enough...

thats still pirating

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2020, 12:15 AM »
If RAM corrupted the save file on the SD card should still be safe as long as you don't update the file with the RAM by starting up another game.
But this is a .fla file, which means FLASH, not SRAM, so it shouldn't be affected by the battery in the first place.
Does the save file work in an emulator?

Anyway, it's important to make backups regularly of all your save files on your computer so you won't loose it all if something happens.

Offline jd213

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2020, 05:32 AM »
If RAM corrupted the save file on the SD card should still be safe as long as you don't update the file with the RAM by starting up another game.
But this is a .fla file, which means FLASH, not SRAM, so it shouldn't be affected by the battery in the first place.

That was what I thought as well, but I guess it still got overwritten.  It would be nice if there could at least be a warning about not starting a game when the battery runs dry, you would think more people would be affected by that than the small number of games that use the RTC.

Does the save file work in an emulator?

Tried it in mGBA by changing .fla to .sav, but no luck.

Anyway, it's important to make backups regularly of all your save files on your computer so you won't loose it all if something happens.

Yeah, did that once a long while ago but didn't think I'd have much reason to worry because I thought the save data was always being backed up to the SD card.

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2020, 09:43 PM »
Ok seems it's corrupt. I have no idea why flash save files are affected by the battery.

Creating backups is the most important thing, preferably on multiple devices. The SD card or the HDD won't last forever and the data is never 100% safe.

Offline Localhorst86

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2020, 11:11 PM »
Ok seems it's corrupt. I have no idea why flash save files are affected by the battery.

Because the everdrive - like pretty much all other gba flashcards - only has an SRAM chip, it doesn't just come with all the different memory variants equipped. Whatever the game itself is addressing doesn't matter here, because the flashcards reroute the calls to/from save memory to the SRAM chipe everytime.

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2020, 10:56 AM »
Ok now I understand. Thanks!