Author Topic: Comparing save functionality between S EVERDRIVE and SD2SNES  (Read 407 times)

Offline Wormwood

• View Profile
Comparing save functionality between S EVERDRIVE and SD2SNES
« on: December 30, 2020, 03:54 PM »
Hi, I’m in the process of trying to decide whether to get a Super Everdrive and a SD2SNES.  I’m comparing everything I can. I’d like to know how save functionality differs between the hardware.
I assume you can create immediate save states on both? How does it work on each? Thanks!

Offline nuu

• View Profile
Re: Comparing save functionality between S EVERDRIVE and SD2SNES
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2020, 04:15 PM »
As for normal SRAM saving there's only a small difference:
The SD2SNES copies SRAM to the SD card while the game is running, except for MSU-1 games. For MSU-1 games you must press reset after playing to keep the save.
The Super Everdrive doesn't copy the SRAM to the SD card until you play another game. It doesn't support MSU-1 games at all.

Don't assume save states. The Super Everdrive doesn't support save states at all, and the SD2SNES has an unofficial save state feature which has a lot of problems.

The main difference between the two is that the SD2SNES supports many more games using co-processors (Super FX, SA-1 etc), so it has much better compatibility while being more expensive.

Offline Wormwood

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2020, 04:23 PM »
Oh dang, that’s disappointing. I was assuming I could do in game save states as I do with my NES Everdrive. Thanks for your response.

Offline Wormwood

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2020, 04:31 PM »
Does either 2SdSNES or Super Everdrive support game genie codes? Not a physical game genie, but the codes, as my NES Everdrive does?

Offline Wormwood

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2020, 04:38 PM »
I’d also be interested in hearing other people’s experiences using save states for the SD2SNES. Have you had much luck with it. Thanks guys!

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2020, 02:07 AM »
The SD2SNES should support both Action Replay and Game Genie codes.
Look at the product page for the Super Everdrive.

I have never used save states. You should ask that in the FXPAK sub-forum instead of here, and someone might reply.