Author Topic: Super Mario 64 Ultimate Edition(s)  (Read 2975 times)

Offline Sogun

• View Profile
Re: Super Mario 64 Ultimate Edition(s)
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2021, 09:40 PM »
Very good work, jonesalmighty!

I have patched an US rom and played a little with it to spot and experience the differences with the base rom. I have some comments on it.

1) When talking to Yoshi it still says "It that really you???". I actually never noticed that until I saw your patch description, hehe. I'm not an english native speaker but I think the correct way to say is: "Is that really you???" or maybe "It's that really you???". I'm not sure.

2) After talking to Yoshi and getting the upgraded triple jump it no longer does the small 4th jump at the end. You are still invulnerable to great falls and now you can even wall jump with it (unlike the original game). Was there a reason to remove the extra jump? It never added anything to gameplay. You could say it even made things worse since you couldn't land with precision. So I'm OK with how it is now.

3) Is there a chance to regain the original Jolly Roger's Bay look when selecting the first star (the one with the foggier environment and alternative skybox). Same with Dire Dire Docks and Bowser's Submarine. It's a same we can't revert those back. I can't think of other cases. 

Thank you for working on a definitive way to play Super Mario 64. It feels better than the Shindou Edition.

Offline Immorpher

• View Profile
    • YouTube Page
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2021, 05:02 AM »
Here's more of my play through! I think I fixed my recording device so no out of sync issues yet: https://youtu.be/t59O4q-oRUA

The video ends with me bugging out the camera on that "Four Pillars" star haha. I think I remember speed runners saying that it is a known bug with the original Mario 64.

Offline jonesalmighty

• View Profile
    • GitHub
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2021, 11:44 AM »

1) When talking to Yoshi it still says "It that really you???". I actually never noticed that until I saw your patch description, hehe. I'm not an english native speaker but I think the correct way to say is: "Is that really you???" or maybe "It's that really you???". I'm not sure.

2) After talking to Yoshi and getting the upgraded triple jump it no longer does the small 4th jump at the end. You are still invulnerable to great falls and now you can even wall jump with it (unlike the original game). Was there a reason to remove the extra jump? It never added anything to gameplay. You could say it even made things worse since you couldn't land with precision. So I'm OK with how it is now.

3) Is there a chance to regain the original Jolly Roger's Bay look when selecting the first star (the one with the foggier environment and alternative skybox). Same with Dire Dire Docks and Bowser's Submarine. It's a same we can't revert those back. I can't think of other cases. 

Thank you for working on a definitive way to play Super Mario 64. It feels better than the Shindou Edition.

Interesting, The fix to change "it" to "is" should be working. I will look into it.
I will need to check to see if it is possible to still have the forth jump.
I haven't changed anything to do with fog or skybox... can you post a picture?

The video ends with me bugging out the camera on that "Four Pillars" star haha. I think I remember speed runners saying that it is a known bug with the original Mario 64.

That is interesting as well, I thought I had accounted for that. I will have to see what I can do there as well.
Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth...

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2021, 04:11 PM »
The missing fog, skybox and submarine is in the original SM64 after taking those stars. I think he is asking if you can make the original atmosphere change back when selecting the first star again instead of it permanently missing for the rest of the game.
https://mariomystery.fandom.com/wiki/Jolly_Roger_Bay_atmosphere

I didn't know about the four pillars bug. I remember playing that 2-player splitscreen hack released some years ago on my ED64 and the game crashed when running on those pillars. There was even a crash screen unique for this hack. I guess the crash was related to this bug.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 04:13 PM by nuu »

Offline jonesalmighty

• View Profile
    • GitHub
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2021, 04:27 PM »
The missing fog, skybox and submarine is in the original SM64 after taking those stars. I think he is asking if you can make the original atmosphere change back when selecting the first star again instead of it permanently missing for the rest of the game.

Ah, Ok, I will look into it, but not at the top of the list.

I didn't know about the four pillars bug. I remember playing that 2-player splitscreen hack released some years ago on my ED64 and the game crashed when running on those pillars. There was even a crash screen unique for this hack. I guess the crash was related to this bug.
Aparantly it is only an issue due to re-adding the pyramid explosion cutscene. I thought I had handled that issue, but obviously not... For the moment, I might disable the feature in new builds until I have an answer.
Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth...

Offline jonesalmighty

• View Profile
    • GitHub
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2021, 12:55 AM »

I have patched an US rom and played a little with it to spot and experience the differences with the base rom. I have some comments on it.

Okay, I have fixed the Yoshi text, and hopefully implemented the fix for replay of JRB first star skybox and fog. I am in two minds over the triple jump (with extra jump), although have (I think) worked out why.

Please test to make sure it has no side effects.

LATEST PATCHES UPLOADED (to the main post) @ 22:50-2021-01:25 UTC.

P.S. Please can using the shell on Shifting Sand Lands 4th pillar bug (i.e. freeze) be verified using the latest patch.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 02:17 AM by jonesalmighty »

Offline IRL Random Hajile

• Bounty Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2021, 07:14 AM »
Alrighty, so there were two bugs I've noticed when playing the latest update for SM64 Ultimate Edition:
- Catching MIPS and collecting the star from him doesn't show the Yellow Star above Mario's head like it normally does.
- Testing out Shifting Sand Lands by riding on the green shell and going on all 4 pillars causes the camera to act all weird and lock up. Honestly thought the game froze for a moment there, but the game does continue playing... just that I can't see where Mario is as the camera's not pointing behind him after the 4 pillars.

The Jolly Roger Bay skybox and fog effect when selecting the first star works correctly though!

EDIT: Okay, so I started a new file for the heck of it. Got 15 stars, and caught MIPS again, but the Yellow Star actually animated correctly above Mario's head this time after collecting it. Weird...
Something to note though is that when I collected the Lil Penguin Lost star in Cool Cool Mountain, a snowflake appeared above Mario's head instead of the Yellow Star. Resetting the game and doing this part again plays the animation normally. Not sure why this visual glitch happens on occasion, but this is maybe something to look into.

Also another weird bug to report is after collecting the first key, going down to the basement doors and unlocking on the rightmost side makes Mario shift farther over to the right and makes him stick the key into the wall instead of the keyhole. This one seems to happen every time I unlock the basement doors on the rightmost side.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 11:49 AM by IRL Random Hajile »
"BH75001, Random Hajile... that's
R-A-N-D-O-M H-A-J-I-L-E."

Offline Sogun

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2021, 12:28 AM »

Ah, Ok, I will look into it, but not at the top of the list.

Sorry for the late answer.
Exactly, I was talking about replaying those levels with the same conditions they had until you get their first star (by selecting the first start). I don't think there are other scenarios we can't replay except for the race with the slim penguin in Cool, Cool Mountain' when you get 120 stars, but I find that one more like a reward than a missing piece like the other two situations. Maybe you can make it so you race against the original penguin when selecting the third star (the one you get when you beat it), but I'm suggesting this change just for completion and not because I think it would be great to have.

I'll try your new updates this weekend and comment about what I find.

Thanks

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2021, 02:24 PM »
I have mixed feelings about restoring the slim penguin. Selecting the penguin star is a way to guarantee that the penguin is there and noticing that he is fat is, as you say, a reward (he also says something about getting out of shape lately if I remember correctly). Players that don't know about it might miss the fat penguin just because they picked the penguin race star before racing him again (which is what you would normally do when replaying a star to make sure all conditions are right). Maybe he should be slim if not selecting that star?

The fog, skybox and Bowser's submarine are also probably not really bugs, but I find being able to see them again is exciting. Then again the main reason that's exciting is because they only show up once per playthrough.

It's a question on how much you want to have the patch differ from the original game. I personally think being able to restore the fog, skybox and submarine are fine, but I'm not sure about the penguin.

Offline jonesalmighty

• View Profile
    • GitHub
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2021, 06:09 PM »
I have mixed feelings about restoring the slim penguin. Selecting the penguin star is a way to guarantee that the penguin is there and noticing that he is fat is, as you say, a reward (he also says something about getting out of shape lately if I remember correctly). Players that don't know about it might miss the fat penguin just because they picked the penguin race star before racing him again (which is what you would normally do when replaying a star to make sure all conditions are right). Maybe he should be slim if not selecting that star?

The fog, skybox and Bowser's submarine are also probably not really bugs, but I find being able to see them again is exciting. Then again the main reason that's exciting is because they only show up once per playthrough.

It's a question on how much you want to have the patch differ from the original game. I personally think being able to restore the fog, skybox and submarine are fine, but I'm not sure about the penguin.

I agree, there is a fine line here. I was toying with the JRB fix to be applied only once the stars have been collected and you talk to Yoshi, but since it only affects the skybox and fog (it shouldn't affect the submarine), I think it is ok.

Alrighty, so there were two bugs I've noticed when playing the latest update for SM64 Ultimate Edition:
- Catching MIPS and collecting the star from him doesn't show the Yellow Star above Mario's head like it normally does.
- Testing out Shifting Sand Lands by riding on the green shell and going on all 4 pillars causes the camera to act all weird and lock up. Honestly thought the game froze for a moment there, but the game does continue playing... just that I can't see where Mario is as the camera's not pointing behind him after the 4 pillars.

The Jolly Roger Bay skybox and fog effect when selecting the first star works correctly though!

EDIT: Okay, so I started a new file for the heck of it. Got 15 stars, and caught MIPS again, but the Yellow Star actually animated correctly above Mario's head this time after collecting it. Weird...
Something to note though is that when I collected the Lil Penguin Lost star in Cool Cool Mountain, a snowflake appeared above Mario's head instead of the Yellow Star. Resetting the game and doing this part again plays the animation normally. Not sure why this visual glitch happens on occasion, but this is maybe something to look into.

Also another weird bug to report is after collecting the first key, going down to the basement doors and unlocking on the rightmost side makes Mario shift farther over to the right and makes him stick the key into the wall instead of the keyhole. This one seems to happen every time I unlock the basement doors on the rightmost side.

Shame about the SSL pyramid cut scene still glitching out when using a shell on the 4 pillars. I have turned it off for the moment until I find a fix.
I have also turned off the bugfix for doors (which obviously isn't working right)
and turned off the bugfix for "interactObj define" (it seems to be causing that issue with stars being swapped out for the wrong item sometimes).

LATEST PATCHES UPLOADED (to the main post) @ 2021-01-29 16:00 UTC.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 08:08 PM by jonesalmighty »

• Bounty Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2021, 09:45 PM »
Tried using the latest patch (2021-01-29) and strangely enough those glitches I mentioned still persist. (Patched using US NTSC ROM). Maybe the US patch in particular wasn't updated correctly?

Offline jonesalmighty

• View Profile
    • GitHub
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2021, 11:32 PM »
Tried using the latest patch (2021-01-29) and strangely enough those glitches I mentioned still persist. (Patched using US NTSC ROM). Maybe the US patch in particular wasn't updated correctly?

Interesting...

I will have to check uploaded the correct patch in that case. I will test ASAP.

Update: I seemed to have screwed up :-(, fix soon!

Update 2: LATEST PATCHES UPLOADED (to the main post) @ 2021-01-29 22:17 UTC.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2021, 12:54 AM by jonesalmighty »

• Bounty Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2021, 02:34 AM »
Interesting...

I will have to check uploaded the correct patch in that case. I will test ASAP.

Update: I seemed to have screwed up :-(, fix soon!

Update 2: LATEST PATCHES UPLOADED (to the main post) @ 2021-01-29 22:17 UTC.
Downloaded the updated patch again! It's good now, the 4 pillars camera bug doesn't happen anymore, along with the other issues mentioned previously. Hopefully you'll be able to find a better solution to those bug fixes stated in the changelog, because they seem like cool inclusions to Ultimate Edition, providing that they do work as intended.

Offline zaphro72

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2021, 05:12 PM »
Anybody patched the actual rom instead of using the everdrive to patch? I can't seem to get it to patch and work properly. Wondering if I have the wrong source rom for the US version. Anybody know the proper CRC32 for the proper source rom?

Offline jonesalmighty

• View Profile
    • GitHub
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2021, 05:46 PM »
Anybody patched the actual rom instead of using the everdrive to patch? I can't seem to get it to patch and work properly. Wondering if I have the wrong source rom for the US version. Anybody know the proper CRC32 for the proper source rom?

It requires the same baserom set as used by the decomp:

sm64.jp.z64 sha1: 8a20a5c83d6ceb0f0506cfc9fa20d8f438cafe51
sm64.us.z64 sha1: 9bef1128717f958171a4afac3ed78ee2bb4e86ce
sm64.eu.z64 sha1: 4ac5721683d0e0b6bbb561b58a71740845dceea9
sm64.sh.z64 sha1: 3f319ae697533a255a1003d09202379d78d5a2e0