Author Topic: Is goomba the only emu option on GBA X5 for running gb/gbc?  (Read 296 times)

Offline rlstine

• View Profile
Hello everyone, quick question regarding emu on the GBA X5. I find that goomba works well for all gb/gbc with the exception of Pokemon G/S/C rom hacks. For some reason, goomba won't access the X5's battery to allow these games to utilize RTC features. Luckily there are patches for the original games in order to change the clock manually in-game but these unfortunately do not work for rom hacks. I'm wondering if there are any alternatives to goomba that run on the X5, perhaps especially any that would allow use of the battery for RTC feature? Thanks very much in advance!

Offline Richardragon87

• SNESAdvance Revival Coder
    • View Profile
Re: Is goomba the only emu option on GBA X5 for running gb/gbc?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2021, 10:01 PM »
I don't think goomba ever did that for G/S/C though I remember playing C on the Super Card SD and it was all garbled up... am not sure if Goomba ever fixed that issue but some garbled games on Pocketnes got corrected however corrupted games that used to work on it so its a mix and match it seems.

Speaking of C it's unusual why Pokémon Prism worked fine as it was basically C all along?
[quote Random dating spambotJ

Post changed:

Great, the photo didn't load! Does anyone know how to fix this?
In any case, my other photos can be viewed here, I will be glad to meet you, I love flirt))

P.S Richardragon87! Don't write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!

Offline Localhorst86

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2021, 11:21 PM »
There is no other gb/gbc emulator available for the gba hardware.

Offline rlstine

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2021, 01:06 AM »
I don't think goomba ever did that for G/S/C though I remember playing C on the Super Card SD and it was all garbled up... am not sure if Goomba ever fixed that issue but some garbled games on Pocketnes got corrected however corrupted games that used to work on it so its a mix and match it seems.

Speaking of C it's unusual why Pokémon Prism worked fine as it was basically C all along?

Yes, you're right that goomba doesn't utilize the X5's battery for RTC for G/S/C. The latest version of goomba color does seems to run all three of them, including most rom hacks, quite well. The only issue is the "stuck" RTC.

I see, thank you.

Offline Shadow666

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2021, 10:33 AM »

Yes, you're right that goomba doesn't utilize the X5's battery for RTC for G/S/C. The latest version of goomba color does seems to run all three of them, including most rom hacks, quite well. The only issue is the "stuck" RTC.

I see, thank you.

Pokemon Crystal will not never run on goomba

Offline Richardragon87

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2021, 03:28 PM »

Nice to know the X5 now runs all 3 of them, I guess that is the recent Smokemonster pack that incorporated into the system to run it... I haven't really been checking many GB roms on the X5 but I did notice some of the midway arcade games that had the boarders didn't run or boot up when played in the boarders section like the boarder would show but the game wouldn't like millipede and centipede I think and some others...

Oh wow I just noticed replying to a quoted post made it part of their own one, unlike the PC Engine post I cant fathom how to separate it so I'll likely leave it as is... seems like a bug on the board which wont end the / quote so you can reply under it.

Post changed:

In any case, my other photos can be viewed here, I will be glad to meet you, I love flirt))

Offline rlstine

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2021, 06:07 PM »
Nice to know the X5 now runs all 3 of them, I guess that is the recent Smokemonster pack that incorporated into the system to run it... I haven't really been checking many GB roms on the X5 but I did notice some of the midway arcade games that had the boarders didn't run or boot up when played in the boarders section like the boarder would show but the game wouldn't like millipede and centipede I think and some others...

I originally installed standard goomba as the emu and ditched it in favor of goomba color. The latest version of goomba color was released in May of 2019. Apprently the folks who made the original goomba are different than Dwedit, who created the superior color version. Might be worth trying it for yourself. The issues you mentioned might be corrected now.

Here's the link: https://www.dwedit.org/gba/goombacolor.php

Yeah I haven't run into any issues with Crystal so far.

Offline Richardragon87

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2021, 06:14 PM »

I originally installed standard goomba as the emu and ditched it in favor of goomba color. The latest version of goomba color was released in May of 2019. Apprently the folks who made the original goomba are different than Dwedit, who created the superior color version. Might be worth trying it for yourself. The issues you mentioned might be corrected now.

Here's the link: https://www.dwedit.org/gba/goombacolor.php

Yeah I haven't run into any issues with Crystal so far.

I think the recent one was the 2019 smoke monster one as his last ever rom pack physically was dated back in 10.31.2019, I haven't been keeping tabs on how to add them to the GBASYS folder as it tended to be premade in advance so you just pasted it and it worked... wouldn't want to ruin it if the device already embedded the emulator in advance and mess it up.

Post changed:

Offline rlstine

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2021, 09:16 PM »
I think the recent one was the 2019 smoke monster one as his last ever rom pack physically was dated back in 10.31.2019, I haven't been keeping tabs on how to add them to the GBASYS folder as it tended to be premade in advance so you just pasted it and it worked... wouldn't want to ruin it if the device already embedded the emulator in advance and mess it up.

The version of the X5 OS I downloaded didn't come with any emulators preinstalled. But it was pretty easy to add it. I just downloaded goomba color from the Dwedit link, renamed it gbc.gba (and then created a second one and named it gb.gba) and slapped it into the "emu" folder in GBASYS.

No pressure to try it of course if you're happy with your set up, but you could always create a backup of what you have now and revert if it doesn't work for you.

Offline Richardragon87

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2021, 01:36 AM »

The version of the X5 OS I downloaded didn't come with any emulators preinstalled. But it was pretty easy to add it. I just downloaded goomba color from the Dwedit link, renamed it gbc.gba (and then created a second one and named it gb.gba) and slapped it into the "emu" folder in GBASYS.

No pressure to try it of course if you're happy with your set up, but you could always create a backup of what you have now and revert if it doesn't work for you.

Kind of sounds like SNESAdvance and SMS advance well I'll give it a try in the future, have saved the link for further reference.

Post changed: