Author Topic: EverDrive 64 2.5 and Donkey Kong 64  (Read 178 times)

Offline Sarge

• View Profile
EverDrive 64 2.5 and Donkey Kong 64
« on: January 13, 2021, 12:19 AM »
Hi, all, I was just testing out Donkey Kong 64 on my new ED64 2.5, and I get black-screen freezes when starting a new game (doesn't transition to intro). A reset will let you get in-game and past the intro, but entering Cranky's Hut will also freeze the game with a black screen. This is on OS 3.05, using both the No-Intro ROM and the confirmed good GoodN64 ROM (both same CRC).

On a whim, I dropped back to 2.13, and it seems to be working just fine. So I'm guessing something isn't quite right in the current OS version.
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Discuss games ten years old or older! Now with a modern gaming section!

http://hardcoreretrogaming.boards.net/

Offline zaphro72

• View Profile
Re: EverDrive 64 2.5 and Donkey Kong 64
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2021, 01:22 AM »
Hi, all, I was just testing out Donkey Kong 64 on my new ED64 2.5, and I get black-screen freezes when starting a new game (doesn't transition to intro). A reset will let you get in-game and past the intro, but entering Cranky's Hut will also freeze the game with a black screen. This is on OS 3.05, using both the No-Intro ROM and the confirmed good GoodN64 ROM (both same CRC).

On a whim, I dropped back to 2.13, and it seems to be working just fine. So I'm guessing something isn't quite right in the current OS version.

Ya the new series OS doesn't seem to have all the kinks worked out. Most people have stuck with the old one or used the unofficial one made by, I think, JonesAlmighty

Offline rlstine

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2021, 01:44 AM »
Yep. If you were using the latest one (v.3.05), reverting back to v.2.13 would clear up any issues. If you encounter any other issues in the future with 2.13, always good to double check that you are using a no-intro version of the rom.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 01:47 AM by rlstine »

Offline Sarge

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2021, 12:43 AM »
I may check out that unoffical firmware.

And yep, definitely using the no-intro version. Was happy to see it's just a momentary problem - I'm sure once he rolls back around to it, the 3.X firmware will be excellent. (Seriously, KRIKzz is supporting so many carts!)
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Discuss games ten years old or older! Now with a modern gaming section!

http://hardcoreretrogaming.boards.net/