Author Topic: 32X/SMS Compatibility  (Read 223 times)

Offline chris-red

• View Profile
32X/SMS Compatibility
« on: February 19, 2021, 04:20 PM »
Hi All,

I recently got a Mega EverDrive X5 I'm really pleased with in. I am using it with my full EU Tower of Power (32X,MD,Mega CD) complete with switchless region mods in each. I love that the X5 can act as a Mega CD ROM Cart, that feature was worth the cost of alone.

The only let down is that I can't play SMS games with the 32x connected. Disconnecting it is a hassle as I have decent cables all wired in and the 32x AV does not match my OG Mega Drive. I have read on the forum this is not possible for the same reason the Power Base converter doesn't work with the 32x.

What I am confused by is my old cheapo Chinese rom cart could do this fine, it would play 32x/SMS/and MD games all through the 32x without unplugging anything. Just wondering why the X5 can't do what the £25 cart could?

Cheers,
Chris

PS just edited a typo and I have to redo the questionnaire to get a post out, is this permanent? It's annoying!

PPS Controler Sony Dual*****: this question is out of date now unless you wish to keep Zoomers out :-)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2021, 04:23 PM by chris-red »

Offline Marteicos

• View Profile
Re: 32X/SMS Compatibility
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2021, 05:04 PM »
I would love to see a video of your cheapo romcart running sms games through 32x.

The X5 acts as a real sms cart attached to a powerbase converter and tries to put the Mega Drive into SMS compatibility mode when a SMS game is loaded.
When a 32x is attached the SMS compatibility mode doesn't kick in.

People tried to bypass those issues with mods, but the results were not very good, several mega drives models still failed to load sms games and the ones that did load, had issues.

Offline chris-red

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2021, 03:59 PM »
They all played fine to me, not that I'm an expert or tried lots of games, it was mainly GG games I had as a kid and wanted to see again, Aerial Assault, Jurassic park, probably a few others I recognised. I had not more than 30 mins in each I think but they seemed perfect to me. Unfortunately my old cartridge has stopped working so I can't get footage. No idea why, it still boots and shows the menu and appears to erase and copy the flash but after then it just shows a blank screen.

If it can be done with 'Mods' could it be added? Even has a beta feature if it isn't perfect. I really don't want to disassemble my tower of power and swap cables to play SMS games.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 04:01 PM by chris-red »

Offline zaphro72

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2021, 05:16 PM »
They all played fine to me, not that I'm an expert or tried lots of games, it was mainly GG games I had as a kid and wanted to see again, Aerial Assault, Jurassic park, probably a few others I recognised. I had not more than 30 mins in each I think but they seemed perfect to me. Unfortunately my old cartridge has stopped working so I can't get footage. No idea why, it still boots and shows the menu and appears to erase and copy the flash but after then it just shows a blank screen.

If it can be done with 'Mods' could it be added? Even has a beta feature if it isn't perfect. I really don't want to disassemble my tower of power and swap cables to play SMS games.

No as the mods are physical changes so they can't be done via software

Offline Marteicos

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2021, 04:39 PM »
You definitely played them without a 32x attached.

SMS games will always fail to boot when a 32x is being used.