Author Topic: UK user - is it worth me getting a Turbografx?  (Read 24839 times)

Offline drivethis

• View Profile
Re: UK user - is it worth me getting a Turbografx?
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2013, 01:06 AM »
Cool. I just picked up a Core Grafx II from ebay... next stop, Retrogate for a Turbo Everdrive. ;D

Offline Majestic_Lizard

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2013, 04:48 PM »
If you are only going to play Hucard games, the best version to get is the standard PC Engine Core system.

Yes, it is worth it. The PC Engine surpassed the Genesis and SNES in many ways. It was just not supported in the United States with enough software. It Japan there was plenty of software.

Offline tomaitheous

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 25, 2013, 07:00 AM »
Why would anyone mod a real PAL TurboGrafx for 60hz!? Pal TG's are for one thing only: collecting. Yes, they are official - kind of. But the PAL board is a total hack job. Get it for what it is, and get the real NTSC systems for the games.

TG16, original PCE, Core, Core 2, SGX, etc that have the external bus - all have AV output on the back plane. A very simple cable can be made. No chips or soldering on the console needed. The Booster (minus the Plus version that has BRAM for saving your games) is nothing more than a pass through with the RCA connectors on the other side. Looks great when paired with a TG16, but a DIY cable set is much cheaper.

Offline gladders

• View Profile

Offline Fidde_se

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2014, 12:40 AM »
Yes, all of the ones that has the EXT connector does.

Which is Turbografx-16, TurboGrafx PAL, PC-Engine (White), CoreGrafx, CoreGrafx II, SuperGrafx, PC-Engine LT, Vistar-16.

And then there's those that don't have EXT, like Shuttle, Duo, Duo-R, Duo-RX, TurboDuo (US), and a few special monitor and laserdisc versions too, and GT & TE of coarse.

http://www.retrosampling.se/Temp/TG16.jpg

Offline goombakid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2014, 05:51 AM »
So does the TG-16 send RGB signal without modding?

Kinda. The signal coming off the EXT pins are need to be amplified to get to a usable state. If you try to do straight RGB from the EXT port, you won't get much of a decent signal.

Offline Fidde_se

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2014, 08:00 AM »
Yeah that's true all PCE/TG16 variants has to have it's RGB amped, it doesn't have to be made inside the console though.

Of coarse the cable has it built in.

Offline wilykat

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2014, 08:14 AM »
UK TurboGrafx is not called TurboGrafx-16 is it?  US TG-16 is most definitely RF-only.

In Europe, they are called TurboGrafx.  No 16 at all.  Yes yes USA TG-16 is RF only without mod or very expensive and HTF TurboBooster.  (TurboBooster Plus add save RAM for a few HuCard that supports it like Neutopia)

Is the Coregrafx compatible with the US Turbo-CD?

No.  The pinout is the same but the shape of connector are different.  PC Engine and CoreGrafx has rectangular connector while USA TG-16 has trapezoid shaped connector.  You'd need to hack the connector but USA CD system is stupidly rare and expensive, a Duo is much cheaper.

Offline Fidde_se

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2014, 10:52 AM »

Offline Chilly Willy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2014, 08:39 PM »
My SGX has the top style connector, which makes sense since the SGX are all Japanese models.

The US loved their DB connectors! It was the only thing used on consoles and computers for a couple decades.

Offline turboboy

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2014, 01:57 PM »
does an unmodded PAL turbografx work with an everdrive

anyone confirm please?

Offline wilykat

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 28, 2014, 12:34 PM »
Yes it will work.  NTSC roms might not play right though. 

Offline Merdalor

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2014, 04:49 PM »
Actually there's no such thing as a PAL TG ROM. So all ROMs were made to run at 60Hz and therefore all roms run too slow (and with borders) on the PAL Turbografx (at the default 50Hz).

I bought a 60Hz/region/RGB modded PAL Turbografx but I don't have a clue how they did it. You can find schematics for the region mod and the RGB mod, but the 60Hz mod eludes me. It's the only console I didn't mod myself, since I can't find any instructions for it.

It might be a better idea however to buy an RGB modded PCE, which is what I'm probably going to do as well since my Turbografx doesn't play nice with an SLG-in-a-box.

And the question if it's worth it: yes, absolutely. Especially with an everdrive. Collecting actual games is pretty expensive though.