Author Topic: Still problems opening some ROMS (Grey Screen)  (Read 3534 times)

Offline Visor

• View Profile
Still problems opening some ROMS (Grey Screen)
« on: July 30, 2015, 09:17 AM »
I wanted to reply to an existing topic, but it was nearly 2 years old and there was a warning in red about replying to anything older than 120 days, so I've decided to start a new thread.  FYI, the original topic can be found here: http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=849.msg8570#msg8570

I've had a frustrating day getting things sorted out with my new EverDrive N8.  Seriously, it's after midnight here and I need to get to bed.  The problem is that certain ROMs get stuck on a grey screen when trying to load them.  Based on the recommendations from the above thread, I downloaded a set of GoodNES v3.14 ROMs.  However, the set was packed in a RAR, and then each game was packed under that in a 7zip file.  While I'm well aware of how to extract these, it would be a long and tedious process of extracting the preferred "(U) [!]" version from each of these files (there are 1800+ of them, although only ~800 would truly be relevant). 

My other option was to manually check each ROM from a set that I had already transferred to the EverDrive itself, which is what I've ultimately decided to do.  I've gone through A-L today, and found about 40 files that I've had to replace with GoodNES versions.  Fortunately, 40 extractions is a whole lot better than 1800+.  That being said, it's a huge pain to have to sit in front of my NES and constantly cycle through selecting a game, potentially writing down a bad ROM, hitting reset, and repeating this process for hundreds of ROMs.

I don't get why the EverDrive N8 is so sensitive to ROMs.  I tested a fair number of these so-called "bad" ROMs on an emulator and they worked just fine.  I just don't see how files between the size of 25 - 512 KB could get corrupted so easily.  When I received my N8 and Super EverDrive the other day, I also had to return my 3rd party SD cards for genuine SanDisk SD cards before anything would save.  Once again, I don't understand why the EverDrives are so sensitive to these when computers and cameras can write to 3rd party cards without any issues.

Anyway, my brain is in a haze from all these repetitive ROM replacements.  Maybe by tomorrow morning someone will suggest a better option for me to try. ;)

Cheers,
Visor
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 09:20 AM by Visor »

Offline Visor

• View Profile
Re: Still problems opening some ROMS (Grey Screen)
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 08:19 PM »
UPDATE: I was PM'ed by someone (I won't mention his name for privacy reasons) with a link to a Powerpack set of ROMs all organized and optimized for the EverDrive N8.  It was originally based on the no-intro pack but apparently all the ROMs with bad headers have been replaced with ROMs from the GoodNES pack.

I don't think I can post the actual link here, but if you search "Everdrive N8 & Powerpak SD Card Setup Pack 4.0" then you should be able to find it.  I'll be trying these out and I'll let you know if I come across any issues.

Cheers,
Visor

Offline Alex

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 12:40 AM »
Thanks for sharing that search. Amazing collection! I'm definitely using this from now on.

Offline stonesfl

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2015, 04:00 PM »
most complete rom pack just finished downloading it hopefully the 25 roms I have that freeze at various points this will fix it. Also includes ultimate frogger been trying to find a download for it for along time a+ for the goggle search terms. :) Just loaded everything up ultimate frogger is just the demo was hopping it included the real rom other than that everything else looks good so far.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 05:20 PM by stonesfl »