Author Topic: How does Save State Work? And FDS games not saving...  (Read 16474 times)

Offline gauer

• View Profile
How does Save State Work? And FDS games not saving...
« on: July 20, 2015, 05:52 AM »
Hello there!

I'm a happy owner of a Everdrive N8.

BUT I still haven't understand how the "save states"  exactly works. It asks to press two buttons (to either save or load).

When I power up my NES Toploader, the Everdrive boots up - Then I have my game list. Cool, I can scroll up and down.

Pressing B on the NES controller will ask to launch the game, ok, let's say Contra. Boom. Game loads

Now I'm there, playing the game. But of course, there's no sub menus when you pause or press select, it's not an emulator, so I'm not sure how to perform the save/load state trick...

Can someone help me?

Also, I have been playing doki doki panic on the N8 using the FDS disk image, every time I press reset button on the NES there's a  message "SAVING DISC IMAGE 08", but when I load the game again, nothing is saved... And I don't know how to load this image, or continue the game... Every time I load the game I have to start from the beginning...   :-[

Offline gauer

• View Profile
Re: How does Save State Work? And FDS games not saving...
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2015, 05:51 PM »
Ok, I watched a video on youtube that made me figure out how to perform the save state stunt, start + up saves, start + down loads, cool  :D

BUT

Can someone please explain how to load FDS image? Saves?

Doki Doki panic always starts from the beginning, even though I get the "saving image" message when I press reset. Come on, help a brother out.

Offline gauer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2015, 09:49 PM »
Is this forum of any help? Geez...

Made some tests (talking about doki doki panic):

Completed 1st chapter, then I've killed myself to get game over on 2nd chapter, and chose the "save" option instead of continuing the game. Turned the NES off, on again, loaded the doki doki rom again, but it didn't save anything, even though I got the message on the screen saying it was.

Another try, completed 1st chapter, then, when at second chapter, pressed reset on the NES, got the "saving disk image" message. Loaded doki doki rom again and same results, nothing is saved...

Non FDS games saves normally, already tested, I think that FDS games doesn't save on the everdrive, only way to beat doki doki panic is at one go.

Also, the save state function doesn't work on FDS games, only on normal NES games.

Offline Aether Knight

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2015, 03:45 PM »
...IIRC I couldn't get Doki Doki Panic to save until I cleared a world without warping. I just tested it an beat the game as Imajin and the game saved up until world 6 & 7 (I used warps to get to world 6 but I beat 6-1,6-2 and 6-3 so it saved as well as world 7) Also keep in mind that there are two versions of Doki floating about. You want to look for the one without the "b" in its rom name. (at least thats the one I'm using) and it should work/save.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 03:47 PM by Aether Knight »

Offline Mister Xiado

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2015, 09:22 AM »
Most of the "goodset" is trash headers and crap dumps. I've had the best luck with the NoIntro set, when it came to proper header data, so games could actually save. Dunno about FDS games, because I rarely played them more than once, and I haven't modified my NES beyond breaking the 10NES's leg.

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2015, 02:07 AM »
I'm all for no-intro but when it comes to FDS probably the tosec set is better. All sets includes files with old save data and are missing many games.

Offline kmksoulja

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2015, 11:51 PM »
you have to push reset for the fds games to save.

Offline subord99

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2015, 12:49 PM »
Seems like FDS only have ram save .