Author Topic: Worth holding out?  (Read 8232 times)

Offline moobs

• View Profile
Worth holding out?
« on: October 31, 2014, 07:10 PM »
I've just been looking at the SD2snes and seen the superFX chip support isn't yet implemented
the card is one of the more expensive cards out there BUT I'd say it's probably the best

my snes is a 50/60hz PAL with a ntsc switch

I'm assuming I wouldn't need a multiregion type? (as seen on retrogate)

is it worth waiting for the superFX support or do I bite the bullet and buy one as it's been a long time in the making and might never happen?
and if it does the card could be upgraded? or would that mean buy a new card?

Retrotowers is the most probable place I'd be buying from but they have REV E1 cards (F is the latest?)
Own: Mega Everdrive v1.0 - Turbo ED v2.0 - EDN8

Offline Paulweeze

• Video Game Connoisseur
  • Music and Games are good for the soul.
    • View Profile
Re: Worth holding out?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2014, 07:21 PM »
IIRC, the super fx chip support can be added to current SD2SNES's but is a matter of someone sitting down and implementing it (which aint easy). So an os update can add more support without buying another cart. Its up to you as to what you want to buy, but the SD2SNES is the most complete compatibility and you can buy the super fx chip games to play almost every snes game at that point.
Everdrives I own: ED64, Mega Everdrive, EDGB, EDGG, N8, Master Everdrive

Other Flashcarts: SD2SNES

Offline Mattroid

• Deluxe Edition
  • So many games, too little time
    • View Profile
    • Arcade Crusade
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2014, 07:35 PM »
The hardware is finalized, according to ikari (the creator). If/when SuperFX is added, it'll be a software update, not hardware. If that ever happens, don't be surprised if the price of the cart goes up, so I'd get one now (and I did) ;)
2600-Harmony Encore; NES-PowerPak, EverDrive N8; GB-EverDrive GB v1; SNES-Super ED v1, SD2SNES; GEN-Mega ED v1; N64-ED64 v2; NGPC-Bung 32Mb, NeoFlashMasta, NeoFlashMasta USB, NGP SD; GBA-EZ-Flash II 256Mb, EZ-Flash IV Redux, ED GBA X5; NDS-R4

Offline moobs

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2014, 08:25 PM »
IIRC, the super fx chip support can be added to current SD2SNES's but is a matter of someone sitting down and implementing it (which aint easy). So an os update can add more support without buying another cart. Its up to you as to what you want to buy, but the SD2SNES is the most complete compatibility and you can buy the super fx chip games to play almost every snes game at that point.
very true well I'll have a cart of SMW2 and that's the most important game I want to play

The hardware is finalized, according to ikari (the creator). If/when SuperFX is added, it'll be a software update, not hardware. If that ever happens, don't be surprised if the price of the cart goes up, so I'd get one now (and I did) ;)
I'm going for a PCB for crimbo then shame retrotowers is out of stock atm

whats the deal with multi-region like I saw on retrogate? ($10 extra) also because my system is PAL & NTSC I'm assuming I wouldn't need that?

I really appreciate the quick replies here ^_^

Offline Paulweeze

• Video Game Connoisseur
  • Music and Games are good for the soul.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2014, 08:34 PM »
That is a shell that can fit into any snes, so it aint a big deal if planning to use your own shell.
Everdrives I own: ED64, Mega Everdrive, EDGB, EDGG, N8, Master Everdrive

Other Flashcarts: SD2SNES

Offline Mattroid

• Deluxe Edition
    • View Profile
    • Arcade Crusade
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2014, 08:40 PM »
I'm going for a PCB for crimbo then shame retrotowers is out of stock atm

whats the deal with multi-region like I saw on retrogate? ($10 extra) also because my system is PAL & NTSC I'm assuming I wouldn't need that?

I really appreciate the quick replies here ^_^
That's just cartridge shell type. "Multi-region" are similar to the Super Famicom style shells which will fit any region console. Other stores sell US shell versions which will only fit US SNES systems as far as I know.

So basically...below is a SFC cart on bottom, US on top. Multi Region carts look like the SFC carts but have little notches on the back so they fit in a US SNES correctly (like the notches you see on the back of the US cart there):

Stone Age Gamer seems to have them in stock right now if you want something right away:
http://www.stoneagegamer.com/flash-carts/super-everdrive-snes-sfc/north-america/
http://www.stoneagegamer.com/flash-carts/super-everdrive-snes-sfc/japan-europe/
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 08:48 PM by Mattroid »
2600-Harmony Encore; NES-PowerPak, EverDrive N8; GB-EverDrive GB v1; SNES-Super ED v1, SD2SNES; GEN-Mega ED v1; N64-ED64 v2; NGPC-Bung 32Mb, NeoFlashMasta, NeoFlashMasta USB, NGP SD; GBA-EZ-Flash II 256Mb, EZ-Flash IV Redux, ED GBA X5; NDS-R4

Offline moobs

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2014, 08:44 PM »
ok I understand now thanks
seeing I'm in the UK I guess I'll be using a a PAL cart... ::)

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2014, 08:51 PM »
You can file away on your PAL shell so that it has those notches and you'll have a multi-region shell.

Offline moobs

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2014, 08:59 PM »
You can file away on your PAL shell so that it has those notches and you'll have a multi-region shell.
I'm aware of being able to do this but I think it looks messy
plus I don't want to wreck this snes as it's been nicely modded

but I do have a back up system that has been totally hammered so I could chop that thing up

just to note: I did not do this to the system I bought it like that for £5 ($8ish)
yes it has been painted with a paintbrush, it's yellow under it & the corner is smashed off
it was packed with tissue paper also lol

Offline Mattroid

• Deluxe Edition
    • View Profile
    • Arcade Crusade
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2014, 09:11 PM »
Ugh. I'd probably remove the shell and soak it in paint thinner or something. Reminds me of the kids that would sit and paint anything and everything with White Out back in middle school :P

Offline moobs

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2014, 09:42 PM »
Ugh. I'd probably remove the shell and soak it in paint thinner or something. Reminds me of the kids that would sit and paint anything and everything with White Out back in middle school :P

if I'm being honest the shell is destroyed it's yellowed and totally brittle it fell apart just picking it up
I was thinking of making my own shell or something but I'm not sure what to do with the system it'll probably be a backup/spares unit

Offline Mattroid

• Deluxe Edition
    • View Profile
    • Arcade Crusade
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2014, 10:08 PM »
if I'm being honest the shell is destroyed it's yellowed and totally brittle it fell apart just picking it up
I was thinking of making my own shell or something but I'm not sure what to do with the system it'll probably be a backup/spares unit
I dunno, could be fun to see what finally makes the shell completely fall apart. A treatment of Retr0bright will either get rid of the yellow or completely dissolve it into nothingness. It's a win-win! Either way, you should do it and make a time lapse video of the process :D

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2014, 09:00 PM »
I'm aware of being able to do this but I think it looks messy
plus I don't want to wreck this snes as it's been nicely modded
I meant make two notches in the shell you are using for your SD2SNES so that it will become truly universal. But that could also get messy.