Author Topic: Japanese PCE power supply question.  (Read 12304 times)

Offline drivethis

• View Profile
Japanese PCE power supply question.
« on: November 29, 2013, 03:11 PM »
I know this isn't ED related, but I just bought a Japanese unit and the seller is telling me that I will need a voltage converter. I live in the US.

Is this true?

My Famicom and Mega Drive seem to work just fine plugged into my wall. Are the PCEs different?

Offline drivethis

• View Profile
Re: Japanese PCE power supply question.
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2013, 03:48 PM »
ok... so I just checked the output of my Famicom adapter plugged in and it's around 14V. Since the brick is supposed to be putting out a lot less, I assume it is time for a step down converter. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

I also checked the Mega Drive/Mega CD bricks and they require an input of 100V.

What did I learn?

Japan houshold voltage is 100V
US houshold voltage is 120V
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 03:50 PM by drivethis »

Offline brock2097

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013, 09:20 AM »
I'm in the US and am using a power supply from http://www.retrogamecave.com/ for the Duo-R without any problems. The CDX/32X adapter he makes works great too. They don't have an order form on the site as of right now but you can just email the guy and he'll send a PayPal invoice. If you have a spare 9V, 1.6A center positive adapter that should work. That's about the extent of my power supply knowledge, sorry.

Offline Kyle

• Game Genie Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013, 03:23 PM »
I am using a Japanese power supply with no issues. I do the same on my Mega Drive and Super Famicom.

Offline TeamShake

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2013, 12:48 AM »
did you buy a regular pc engine or a duo-r?  if its are regular pc engine, you can use a supply from a genesis model 1.  if its a duo-r you can use a supply from a genesis model 2 or a ps2 slim.  make sure to verify the specs.  the regular pc engine should be a negative center and duo-r should be postive center on the ac adapter.

Offline The_Atomik_Punk!

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2013, 03:50 AM »
did you buy a regular pc engine or a duo-r?  if its are regular pc engine, you can use a supply from a genesis model 1.  if its a duo-r you can use a supply from a genesis model 2 or a ps2 slim.  make sure to verify the specs.  the regular pc engine should be a negative center and duo-r should be postive center on the ac adapter.

I'll second this, OP. I bought an RGB modded PC Engine Duo-R from Doujindance (I'm in Canada). He advised the use of a Genesis Model 2 AC adapter, and it works flawlessly. To be clear, that's the proper voltage for a Duo-R, can't vouch for other models, hope that helps.

Offline goombakid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2013, 10:03 AM »
I have a standard PCE Duo. I use the stock adapter that came with it with no problems. If you're playing for extended periods (read: 2+ days straight), you may want to consider getting a localized adapter (retrogamecave.com). Otherwise, you should be fine using the stock adapter even rated for 100VAC.

Offline drivethis

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2013, 02:53 PM »
Cool! Thanks everyone.

Offline Majestic_Lizard

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2013, 05:22 PM »
I've never had any problems using Japanese power supplies in the US. The input voltage is very similar for US and Japanese consoles. The output voltage is what you should be concerned about.

Here are some easy rules with AC adapters that can save you money:
(1) The output voltage should be either exactly the same or within about ten percent of the original power supply. If the voltage on the AC Adapter is too high it can damage voltage regulator.
-----------I've run a Genesis on an 8.5 volt power supply, and on an 11 volt power supply.

(2) The output amps need to be either exactly the same or higher than the original AC adapter. You do not want lower amps as that will damage the console over time.
-----------Some consoles are efficient enough to handle lower amps on the AC adapter than the original, but it isn't worth the risk.

(3) The output polarity must be the same. If your console is center negative, your AC adapter must be center negative. However, you can easily switch the polarity of any AC adapter by simply cutting the plug and re-soldering the wires in reverse. After you have changed the polarity, make sure you label the AC adapter accordingly. You can also switch plugs the same way, to make different AC adapters fit different consoles.
-----------I have a 10 volt, 2000 mA AC adapter that I modified (with interchangeable plugs) to power the following consoles:
* Atari 2600
* PC Engine Core
* PC Engine Duo
* Turbo Grafx 16
* Genesis Model I, II, III
* Genesis w/Sega CD attachment (spliced into two plugs)
* Super Nintendo
* Nintendo
* Sega Master System
* FC Twin

It doesn't power the Retron 1, however, as that console uses only 6 volts.

(4) The output voltage should be AC/DC, never AC/AC. Even a console that uses AC/AC voltage will run more safely on an AC/DC adapter (it just has an unused extra voltage regulator bridge rectifier in the circuit).
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 11:08 PM by Majestic_Lizard »

Offline ApolloBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2013, 03:14 AM »
it just has an extra voltage regulator in the circuit
It's actually a bridge rectifier that converts the incoming AC voltage into a DC voltage, a voltage regulator can't do that.

Offline Majestic_Lizard

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2014, 11:06 PM »
it just has an extra voltage regulator in the circuit
It's actually a bridge rectifier that converts the incoming AC voltage into a DC voltage, a voltage regulator can't do that.

Correct. The point is that it as an additional part that will not hurt the NES. It simply does nothing at all when used with the NES. In fact, it is probably SAFER to use with the NES than the original NES power supply.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 11:09 PM by Majestic_Lizard »

Offline DBloke

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2014, 07:15 AM »
I power mine via a Atari Jaguar plug (UK)

For some reason I have two of them
TNOG.ORG - Games nights in Manchester - https://www.youtube.com/user/Darkprinny