Author Topic: Even faster rom loading for EverDrive?  (Read 6781 times)

Offline pcfreak324

• View Profile
Even faster rom loading for EverDrive?
« on: January 15, 2014, 10:13 PM »
With the EverDrive 2.0x update the rom loading times have already improved but I'm asking myself if there is something that we users can do to improve the loading times even further.

Does the EverDrive benefit from SD cluster sizes greater than 32kb?

I read that EverDrive automatically detects the rom format and converts it on the fly. Does that mean that I can significantly speed up the rom loading process if I convert the roms myself (using tool64 for example) to the correct format? If so, what is the correct format?

Big Endian (*.z64)
Byteswapped (*.v64)
Little Endian (*.n64/*.rom)

Offline Heavyz

• View Profile
Re: Even faster rom loading for EverDrive?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 12:52 AM »
I would say it wouldn't be worth the time even if that was the case. The ED64 V2 with latest OS loads even big roms really fast, not even 50% of the games you could have are half the size of the few biggest ones that come to mind, like Conker. These speeds are very fast, and I see no reason to improve upon them. The only things that really need improving now I think is the GS code feature, and whatever bugs,(if any are left at all) are in OS 2.04

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 10:31 AM »
With the EverDrive 2.0x update the rom loading times have already improved but I'm asking myself if there is something that we users can do to improve the loading times even further.

I read that EverDrive automatically detects the rom format and converts it on the fly. Does that mean that I can significantly speed up the rom loading process if I convert the roms myself (using tool64 for example) to the correct format? If so, what is the correct format?

Big Endian (*.z64)
Byteswapped (*.v64)

Big cluster size is always good, but cluster size is really important for system with slow cpu, for N64 effect will be almost invisible. ROM converting implemented on hardware level and it does not take extra time. If you have used good sd card, ed64 v2 offers transfer speed up to 23MByte/s, it is the top of SDHC bandwidth. Biggest N64 ROM loads in 3 sec (64MB) , typical N64 ROM loads faster than in one sec (8-16MB). I not sure if you really need more speed (:

Offline speedruntrainer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 03:17 PM »
You will need more speed when speedrunning in games :)
Such as the savewarp in OoT Any%.

And games where you need to start the timer on reset.
Needs a good timing when racing people, probably when the Racebot countdown is still at 2 or so load the ROM already if you're sure it takes 2-3 seconds to load.

Offline Arnold101

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 05:12 PM »

Big Endian (*.z64)
Byteswapped (*.v64)

Big cluster size is always good, but cluster size is really important for system with slow cpu, for N64 effect will be almost invisible. ROM converting implemented on hardware level and it does not take extra time. If you have used good sd card, ed64 v2 offers transfer speed up to 23MByte/s, it is the top of SDHC bandwidth. Biggest N64 ROM loads in 3 sec (64MB) , typical N64 ROM loads faster than in one sec (8-16MB). I not sure if you really need more speed (:
right..fantastic speed!

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 07:17 PM »
Time - LoadingTime * Resets

If you are doing some serious competition it would be more fair to use the real cart.

Offline Chilly Willy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2014, 07:29 AM »
Time - LoadingTime * Resets

If you are doing some serious competition it would be more fair to use the real cart.

Not really. You'll waste much more time on the competitors all getting ready to play than on loading the game.

Eisi

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2014, 10:49 AM »
Since you could always use a hacked rom I'd say using the real cart is a must.

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2014, 05:47 PM »
Yeah I would say that too. Not that you couldn't hide a hacked game in a real cart shell as well.

Offline Chilly Willy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2014, 09:42 PM »
Since you could always use a hacked rom I'd say using the real cart is a must.

That would be up to the staff to verify that only the proper games were on the SD cards in the flash carts. As nuu posted, having a "real" cart is no guarantee either unless you open them or something to verify they are real.

Offline Gh0st

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2014, 06:45 AM »
Once the ROM is selected, though, the N64 is only seeing a "Cartridge", and is accessing a piece of memory instead of a ROM chip, right?
That's my understanding of the inner workings, anyway.