Author Topic: Super Mario 64 hacks now work on the EverDrive 64!  (Read 67084 times)

Vertrex

Super Mario 64 hacks now work on the EverDrive 64!
« on: January 22, 2014, 06:08 AM »
An Affiliate and I were discussing how everyone on forums have been going on a rant how "Super Mario 64 hacks can not run on the ED64", well I'm here to prove you wrong.
The Affiliate and I did more research in the 24mb/48mb extended/expanded Mario 64 ROMs and after hours of work to get a single ROM working (Which is my current Mario 64 hack in development, Super Mario Land 64), we did it!
We are not ready to share the information on how we did it just yet; We are still trying to get 64mb ROMs to function.

Here are some clips I recorded off of my camera:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkPli_4Bzn4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WTxi3D66w0

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me on the forums!
Regards, AwesomelukeyProject

Offline Heavyz

• View Profile
Re: Super Mario 64 hacks now work on the EverDrive 64!
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 06:29 AM »
I tip my hat to you good sir. This is something I've always complained about, as I love Mario 64, and a lot of hacks look really awesome. Though I've never brought myself to actually play them because they wouldn't work on my ED64.
Keep up the good work. I would be most excited to have some quality Mario mods to play on hardware

Offline Doom

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 06:50 AM »
Great work! This is going to make tons of people happy, including myself. The best part about this is that the SM64 level-creating community is pretty strong, so there's several hacks that replace all levels, almost making it an expansion for the game. Looking forward to it!

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 11:50 AM »
Good job! What good are all those hacks if they can only be played on crappy emulators? Your hack looks very good too, nice Shyguys!

I wish Zelda's Birthday also was playable on real hardware...

Vertrex

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 03:09 PM »
I would love Zelda's Birthday to work on real hardware too. Unfortunately, I've been hacking Super Mario 64 for the past five years or so..
I never had the time to work more with OoT except for the Multiplayer OoT hack.
By the way, a lot of the people who said "Mario 64 hacks don't work because of VL-Tone" are correct. After seeing what VL-Tone did though, I wouldn't blame him for doing it. There was no cartridge that loaded ROMs on the N64 at the time, so he figured that he could fix the corrupted textures that would only appear in emulators.. If my theory is correct, the ROMs wouldn't load because the graphics data was not aligned properly. If VL-Tone would've known about a cartridge that boots up N64 roms before he disappeared off the face of the internet, he would have probably made a conversion tool. But never-the-less, My Affiliate and I will be the ones making the conversion tool regardless. We will just need some time. If we can't get the tool to function how it should, we will just have to release the notes instead.

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2014, 03:33 PM »
An Affiliate and I were discussing how everyone on forums have been going on a rant how "Super Mario 64 hacks can not run on the ED64", well I'm here to prove you wrong.
The Affiliate and I did more research in the 24mb/48mb extended/expanded Mario 64 ROMs and after hours of work to get a single ROM working (Which is my current Mario 64 hack in development, Super Mario Land 64), we did it!
We are not ready to share the information on how we did it just yet; We are still trying to get 64mb ROMs to function.

Here are some clips I recorded off of my camera:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkPli_4Bzn4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WTxi3D66w0

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me on the forums!
Regards, AwesomelukeyProject

This is fantastic news. When you've done it, will you be releasing a patch that can be applied to any SM64 hack, or will you have to specifically alter each hack yourself to get them to run on the real hardware, please?

Vertrex

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2014, 04:50 PM »
It will not be a patch, because patches do not work with this sort of modification. It will most likely be an executable prompt that a ROM will need to be dragged into. However, if we can't get the program working properly, we will just give out the notes to do it manually. The purpose of the .exe is to make it 100x easier. Doing this modification manually on one ROM takes an hour or so (depending how fast you are). Whereas if there was a program, it could probably get the job done in less than two minutes so that you can quickly get it to your ED64 and play it.
I have only tested a few ROMs so far. Super Mario Land 64's custom levels loaded perfectly fine (as seen in the videos), but there were some other hacks that couldn't load the levels at all. Either because something went wrong the tedious manual way, or the level scripts were pointed at the wrong offsets.
Also, by the looks of everything so far, it seems like 64MB ROMs may not be able to load on the N64 hardware. It seems that Skelux has managed to rig the original so much that it's not even workable with the N64. It might come to the point where people will have to decide to choose Frauber's Importer for ED64 compatible hacks or Skelux's Importer for better quality features that are incapable of running on true N64 format.

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2014, 05:20 PM »
OK, an .exe to cure the problems would be fantastic!

But what are the importers you mention? Sorry, but I know noting about SM64 hacking.

Vertrex

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2014, 06:09 PM »

But what are the importers you mention? Sorry, but I know noting about SM64 hacking.

I'm referring to the Level Importers.

Offline Heavyz

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2014, 08:22 PM »
Skelux's hacks probably don't work because of the custom codes he has put into his hacks. I know for a fact 64MB roms will play on hardware. I'm working on a OoT complex mod myself, and it works on hardware. I haven't changed the size of the rom, though the OoT MQ debug ROM has always been 64MB

Proof! One of the first songs I ported, that I've recently decided I really don't like, and will redo. I'm playing it on hardware in the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxXRiu4PyuI&feature=c4-overview&list=UUHw0plTeIhDLsswTPuVcrdg

Also JSA's Zelda's Birthday could be made to work on hardware if a bunch of stuff was manually fixed in the ROM, but I'm not sure. I haven't played it so maybe not if he has any ported models in the game, or all new custom custom maps. Maps with edited this or that, new actor placements, and ect will work on hardware.

Though you could check out Graidosichs Voyager of Time if you're looking for a hardware compatible OoT mod worth playing. I don't know if it is still hardware compatible because she has updated the mod, but I do know at one point it worked on hardware, and probably still does.

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2014, 08:41 PM »

I'm referring to the Level Importers.

I think I see - so it's sort of like a patcher, but it adds modded levels and whatever to the game rom file?

Offline Heavyz

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2014, 08:47 PM »
A patch wouldn't work because a patch uses a clean unmodified ROM to compare to a new one, and creates the patch that changes only what changes have been made in the modified ROM it was used to be made with. His program will be homing in on whatever textures, ect, and will convert that specific data to the correct format.

Edit:
He is also probably talking about making a .batch file that will be used to drag the rom over and drop it in, then it will convert the specific data that it is written to correct.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 08:52 PM by Heavyz »

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2014, 08:53 PM »
Understood, but from the user's point of view, I think applying the new levels/textures/whatever will be like applying a patch, in that almost everything is done by the program, the user just has to select the patch/importer file, the input rom (SM64) and probably the user has to name the output rom?

The user doesn't have to do anything (or even know anything) technical, the importer software does it all for him?

Offline Heavyz

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2014, 08:58 PM »
Well if he makes a .batch file to do the conversion of the data then all you will have to do is drag the rom over the file, let go of the rom while it is hovered over it, let the program run its course (probably wouldn't take but a few seconds) then wallah the rom is fixed. Just drag and drop, it would be that simple, no command prompts, or enter this or that necessary.

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2014, 09:17 PM »
I see, mate. Thanks.

It's a pity there's been so little N64 homebrew and game hacking, I suppose it's a disadvantage of both the cartridge format (since if the N64 used discs, it could be modded to use copied discs, and so those discs could contain altered/homebrew data), and the fact there have been no very accurate N64 emulators, though at least CEN64 (and maybe MESS) looks like we'll soon be getting a 100% hardware compatible emulator, fortunately.