Author Topic: USB 2.0 mini-B port por EverDrive?  (Read 11935 times)

Offline rouken

• View Profile
USB 2.0 mini-B port por EverDrive?
« on: January 21, 2013, 05:41 PM »
Hellow... I'm have a suggestion I want to share to KRIKzz. Every version of Everdrive is a amazing piece of art, and put your ROMs into de SD Card is amazing. But I think the way you store the ROMs can be improved.

Well... For start, I think the SD Card to store the data is a must. It's cheap and easy to find. But, in some way, it's a little strange to have part of the SD Card outside of the cartridge, even if this way makes the work to reamove the SD Card easier.

I have a suggestion. How about to make a way to put the SD Card totally inside the cartridge. So, you can open the cartridge, put the SD Card, close de cartridge, and the SD Card will be safe inside the cartridge. "Ok... And how do you think we can load and delete data from de SD Card without open and close the cartdge again?", you ask. This is where I want to go. If KRIKzz could add a USB 2.0 mini-B port into the cartridge, we can connect the cartridge directly to a USB cable to share data of the SD Card inside the cartridge. And this same port can be used to connect the console with a PC if some kind of option is used, like programming homebrews, or load ROMs from PC, or some other things...

In this way, KRIKzz can put the mini-USB port into the side of the cartridge instead of the upper side (my vote is for the left side of the cartridge, or, in other words, in your right side if you hold a cartridge to your face), and, if a SD Card is too big to put inside the cartridge, he can replace the SD port to a microSD port.

I don't know if there's some issue about changing the Everdrive layout, or some issue about costs, but it's just a suggestion. I do not expect KRIKzz to say "Wow! This is an awesome idea! I will adopt it!". I'll be OK only to read his opinion about this suggestion.

Offline dvd2vcd

• View Profile
Re: USB 2.0 mini-B port por EverDrive?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 09:29 PM »
old news mate...i use a MMC 2gb card (half size sd) for my everdrive MD, i put all english language games on the card (except virtua racing of course) closed cart, job done.

as for USB, i dont use it nor do i mess with homebrew
ED64 v2.5 - MEGAED X7 - TED v2.4 - SD2SNES rev F - EDN8 fami - EDGB X7 rev B

Offline Drakon

• View Profile
    • 16 Bit Gamer
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 07:14 AM »
I prefer the sd card sticking out of mine.  I'm updating a lot with new homebrews and hacks.  Kinda the point of using a flash cart.

Offline rouken

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 08:17 PM »
Ok... I think I don't expressed my idea with the right words. So, I made an (amateur) illustration.

Offline dvd2vcd

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 10:30 PM »
Ok... I think I don't expressed my idea with the right words. So, I made an (amateur) illustration.

ahhh i see :)
ED64 v2.5 - MEGAED X7 - TED v2.4 - SD2SNES rev F - EDN8 fami - EDGB X7 rev B

Offline Grambo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2013, 12:00 AM »
I'm confused. Am I missing something here? Feel free to correct me, but I thought Everdrives with the USB option were already a Mini-B female chassis mount style (I don't have any Everdrives with USB, as I don't really do any software dev work. The SD card does me perfectly fine). Isn't there a USB capable Everdrive for every console already?

This is why I like the prototype Famicom board... I really love the idea of the option to have the (standard sized) SD card either protruding of the cart or hidden from sight.

The half-sized SD cards are called Reduced-Size MultiMediaCards or RS-MMC.

I ordered a Nifty-Minidrive a while back, but those bastards are several months behind on production. Apparently they sold all their stock out, but I have yet to receive mine, even having preordered months ago.

Offline rouken

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2013, 04:12 PM »
Welll... The point here is:

1. We can dispense to make a hole in the cartridges. Like I said, the use of a SD card is amazing and convenient, but create a hole above the cartridge looks... awful? strange? I don't have the right word, so you can name it. So, if the SD card's port was a little bellow, we can put the SD card inside the cartridge without buy a non-standard SD card. And, if there's a miniUSB port, we don't need to open the cartridge just to put/delete new data. The miniUSB port can be used as a bridge to read the SD card data in the same way of like putting the SD card in a reader.

2. The USB port is a non-standard piece in some (not all) models of the Everdrive (just the Mega Everdrive have this port by default). This suggestion will allow all Everdrives have an USB (or, in this case, a miniUSB) port. And I don't like ports in the upright position. It's because dust can go into the ports in this position (don't blame me about my worry of dust touch into the contacts). So, with this method I suggested, the cartridges will have a better looking visual, we don't need to worry about dust came from above, and we don't need to take and put the SD card from the cartridge, just plug the miniUSB cable and change the data.

And, like I said, this is not a request. It's just a suggestion, ok? I just want to read the opinions about this idea.

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2013, 05:10 PM »
I personally don't mind the SD card sticking out of the top of the cartridge, and I prefer it for it's functionality in that I can easily remove/insert the SD card, which isn't needed very often, but I have done a few times.

Your point about getting dust in the slot is a good one, however, and I know that some collectors like the way their console/cartridges look (I couldn't care less, to be honest, to me it's about the games not the hardware, but I know others value hardware aesthetics), but personally I'd much rather have easy access to the SD Card than have to use a USB interface, especially since my PC and N64 are in different rooms.

KRIKzz, is dust through the SD Card slot a real problem?

Offline Grambo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2013, 08:09 PM »
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/15/img20130109194941.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/21/img2066xp.jpg/
Like this? (the USB looks like it's in the upper-right back side to me)

rouken, I think you bring up valid points and it's always good to get other people's thoughts and suggestions. It's just that I think Krikzz has already addressed this with the upcoming Famicom Everdrive and it's ability to have the SD card either protruding or contained within the cart. It would be a lot of work to change all the existing Everdrives with, what I personally feel, would be rather limited benefit. The fact is, we're a finicky bunch and it's hard to please all of us. For example, I know Drakkon doesn't like the idea of a side mounted SD card, as opposed to your suggestion.

The "Famicom method" addresses almost all customers:
1) No exposed SD, USB (customers like you)
2) No exposed SD, no USB (customers like me)
3) Exposed SD, USB
4) Exposed SD, no USB

To summarize...
Is it a good idea?
Yes. I think so. I would very much enjoy a cart with no exposed (standard sized) SD card.

Is it practical for Igor to spend all that time redesigning every existing Everdrive?
Probably not. It's probably just better that I go buy an RS-MMC card (which I've done). The only problem here is with my N64... I can only find RS-MMC cards up to 2GB in capacity. This is why I've ordered a Nifty-Minidrive.

(don't blame me about my worry of dust touch into the contacts)
I won't blame you if you tell me you're an NES toaster owner :) (On a related note, blowing into your cartridges to make them work is the biggest false myth in gaming history)

Dust isn't a problem. SD slots inherently make pretty good connectivity. It'd have to get pretty caked up before it would ever become an issue. That, plus your SD slot is probably going to have something in it 99% of the time. Also, there are no other parts inside an Everdrive that dust would really affect. That's the beauty of cartridge-based machines :)

P.S. If you really do in fact want a side mounted Mini-USB, you could always mod your cart... just mount a USB connector with hot glue and run some wires in between the Everdrive PCB and your connector. Be advised that you may void your Krikzz warranty in the process  ;)

Offline MiniDrive

• View Profile
    • www.TheMiniDrive.com
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2013, 07:23 AM »
Yes. I think so. I would very much enjoy a cart with no exposed (standard sized) SD card.

There is no need to re-invent the wheel there are options for "short" SD card adapters ;)

At the risk of appearing to be a spammer... we are selling one on Amazon ;)

Offline stonie

• the red eye'd mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2013, 01:08 AM »
everdrive md will never have the usb port, that is what the mega everdrive is for, thats what you want.
flashcarts- acecard 2i, everdrive md, everdrive n8, cyclo ievolution

Offline rouken

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2013, 12:36 AM »
everdrive md will never have the usb port, that is what the mega everdrive is for, thats what you want.

Like I said before, the idea here is to use the USB... correcting... miniUSB port to work as a bridge to read the data from a SD card sealed inside the cartridge, with no need to open the cartridge again just to get access to the SD Card and extract or update information.

The main thing with the Mega Everdrive is to send homebrew data from PC directly to the Mega Everdrive's flash memory.

But... I don't know if the Mega Everdrive can use the USB port as a bridge to access the SD Card files. Can someone confirm if it's possible or not for the Mega Everdrive?