Author Topic: Mysterious cat detected!  (Read 148013 times)

Offline dvd2vcd

• View Profile
Re: Mysterious cat detected!
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2012, 12:42 AM »
thanks KRIKKzz!
I assume the US toploader is a good choice too? it's the same right?
i thought the US toploader was still 72 pin?
ED64 v2.5 - MEGAED X7 - TED v2.4 - SD2SNES rev F - EDN8 fami - EDGB X7 rev B

Offline keropi

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2012, 01:15 AM »
^ it's obviously 72pins, I am asking about the quality of the machine...

Offline dvd2vcd

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2012, 01:19 AM »
RF output only...what do u reckon lol

Offline Drakon

• View Profile
    • 16 Bit Gamer
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2012, 02:45 AM »
Here's what I'm going to be playing it on:

My AV famicom with true rgb and s-video.  The switch at the back switches the console between the default audio circuit and an  upgraded audio circuit.  I hope this cart's going to use ram instead of flash for the game roms but if not I'll buy it anyway.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 02:46 AM by Drakon »

Offline dvd2vcd

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2012, 10:45 AM »
nice modified system!

Offline dvd2vcd

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2012, 10:53 AM »
did you do the rgb and sound mod yourself? these consoles come as RF only

Offline keropi

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2012, 11:09 AM »
^ the japanese system pictured has an av port as the snes and provides at least composite, it's not RF-only

Offline dvd2vcd

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2012, 11:25 AM »
 :o

Offline dvd2vcd

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2012, 11:37 AM »
sorry i got confused with US version  :o those systems are hard to find in the UK  :( i would have to stick to my UK nes..

Offline Drakon

• View Profile
    • 16 Bit Gamer
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2012, 02:37 PM »
did you do the rgb and sound mod yourself? these consoles come as RF only

I did the mods myself.  I found this lovely expensive pcb kit you can order from japan.  The kit is circuits that're custom designed for using a rgb chip in the av famicom, the pcb also contains a custom audio circuit for the av famicom that makes the system sound 10x better.  The reason why I installed the audio switch is because I found 2-3 games that don't sound right with the upgraded audio circuit.  The kit is a lot of soldering and the instructions are all in japanese.  Also I made improvements on the kit I found an upgraded video encoder chip that's pin compatible with the pcb.  I also built a clock dividing circuit so the video encoder colour subcarrier signal is coming from the same clock signal as everything else on the board, this produces better colour in s-video.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 02:43 PM by Drakon »

Offline dvd2vcd

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2012, 04:50 PM »
im a novice solderer, guess il just have to use my PAL nes lol

Offline B00daW

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2012, 04:59 PM »
A couple issues and questions, Mr. KRIKzz...

1.) People should probably know that without a modified NES and modified 60-pin converter to route the expansion audio pins they will not be able to use expansion audio with the Famicom cart in their NES.  You could potentially make profit on selling expansion audio converter carts too.  Should be a simple design.  Are you interested?

2.) Will you support the following formats:  iNES, UNIF, NES 2.0, FDS, NSF, NSFe, and NSF2? 

iNES should be deprecated shortly.  I'm working with No-Intro to convert over their database to supporting NES 2.0.  The current issue is that dumpers, like myself and others, know that iNES has practically run out of mappers for new obscure unlicensed content and potential unreleased prototypes to be assigned mapper numbers.  Not to mention the EverDrive NES/FC could be a very good development platform and NES 2.0 could be used so developers could use Verilog to code new mappers to the FPGA and assign a NES 2.0 number. :)

Even though FDS is a rip format, it should be supported.  Working to start the more accurate disk image format of FDS to be created and supported in the future.

NSF was supported in PowerPak by a hack.  PowerPak at minimum supports 4KB bankswitching.  The NSF mapper needs 2KB bank switching.  The NSF player by loopy was made by mirroring the 2K into 4K; unfortunately doubling the ROM space.  The maximum PRG space in PowerPak is 512K.  This means the largest NSF can only be 256K; even though the maximum spec for NSF is 1MB.  With PCM being a normal occurrence in NSF composing these days, because of SuperNSF, MuseTracker, and DefleMask, we will soon be reaching the 1MB limit and will want the ability to play back on hardware.

NSF as a format is in the process of being deprecated.  The NSFe format was made to give better track description capabilities.  As NSF is also incomplete in capability as there are many commercial games unable to be supported by the NSF format.  NSF2 was developed by the same author of NSF to remedy much of the issues.  To quote the shortcomings of NSF:

Quote from: Wikipedia
There are some audio drivers that have a play call in the NMI as well as audio code in the IRQ. Since the NSF format currently does not support an additional IRQ address setting, those rips will not play either without extensive modification.

There are only approximately about 40 games that require this function to be ripped properly in NSF format. So, it's unknown as to when this format will be finalized. Quietust has implemented some features of this proposal in his emulator Nintendulator which allows both Battletoads and Battletoads & Double Dragon to play with raw PCM drums. There may be other players that support the watch-dog timer and/or non-returning features as well.
Additionally with IRQ being supported we could finally have some truly synthesized NSFs.  Here are some examples of the NES being used at a high refresh rate as a synthesizer.

Which leads to...

3.) Will you work with supporting the ENIO? It adds ethernet, USB, and additional SD bootloading capabilities.  Having USB and ethernet with even more additional hardware expansion means possible MIDI input/output and potential MMO games.

I hope I've provided a lot of food for thought. :)

This may come as a surprise but when I started talking among other hardware communities I was given the impression by other retro console hardware developers that your products are often hastily designed and don't take advantage of their full capabilities.

I give you this knowledge in hope that you can use this all to make a product that not only has good reviews but will keep selling and make others very happy.

Prosperity to you, sir.

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2012, 06:10 PM »
I would like to respond on question about specifications and supported mapper when development will be near to completion. Currently too early stage of development, cart specification may change few times before than final version will be done. Definately can say that cart will allow to use custom mappers, developed by users. Min bank size 1Kbyte

Offline RGB_Gamer

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2012, 07:24 AM »
Here is my RGB modded NES (even has 2 knobs on the back for adjusting the audio) with HES Unidapter, and Famicom Disk System (modded for writing FDS disks - I even have an FDSloadr cable for writing FDS disks).

Offline JimmyMz

• I am a Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2012, 08:10 PM »
removed
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 05:49 AM by jimmyemunoz »
Nothing for sale right now, but more stuff coming soon. Message me on this forum by clicking the envelope icon under my name.