Author Topic: Sunsoft 5B Question  (Read 12341 times)

Offline SnoopKatt

• View Profile
Sunsoft 5B Question
« on: January 26, 2014, 01:28 PM »
Hi,
So I got an Everdrive N8 a couple weeks ago, and I love it! Plays just about everything I throw at it. I also have the expansion audio going, as the Japanese Castlevania III sounds like it should, but the Japanese Gimmick! doesn't sound like the expansion audio is working. Is Sunsoft 5B supported on the Everdrive N8?
Thanks!

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Sunsoft 5B Question
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 02:10 PM »
expansion sound does not implemented for Gimmick

Offline SnoopKatt

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2014, 07:24 PM »
Gotcha, thanks for the quick response! Will it be implemented in the future?

Offline babayaga

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 09:27 PM »
I want to know if this will be implemented too :)

Offline The_Atomik_Punk!

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2014, 12:52 AM »
Thirdsies! Seriously though,  Proper implementation of all famicom/FDS expansion audio for the N8 Everdrive is my top feature request for Krikzz's line of flash carts- and I own them all. Realistically, I understand Krikzz is working on completing the GB/GBC Everdrive (can't wait), so this may have to wait a while, but I'm sure it will be implemented eventually, there's just too many phenomenal games that utilize expansion sound.

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2014, 02:42 PM »
Gotcha, thanks for the quick response! Will it be implemented in the future?
Yep, i have plans to implement sound

Offline raverrevolution

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2014, 09:29 PM »
Awesome to hear on that!!  :D

I friggen love this thing.  Completely worth every penny.

Offline SnoopKatt

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2014, 10:07 PM »
Looking forward to it!

Offline mikejmoffitt

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2014, 02:55 AM »
Has there been any progress on this? I was about to sell my Gimmick! cartridge when I got the N8 but when I tried it I was upset that Sunsoft 5B audio did not work. I guess I'll have to hang on to it for a bit longer.

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2014, 04:53 AM »
You will see it in changelist, if there will be some progress

Offline JonIIDX

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2014, 09:54 AM »
Awesome!

It would be great if Save States could be supported too for speedrunning purposes.  Any idea if that is a possibility?

Offline MP2E

• Famicom Fiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2014, 11:15 AM »
Awesome!

It would be great if Save States could be supported too for speedrunning purposes.  Any idea if that is a possibility?
The FPGA in the Everdrive N8 should be strong enough to simulate every mapper there has ever been for NES with save state support. *Actually doing so* is another story, from reading around, krikzz has to simulate every mapper twice in Verilog, once to get the game to work without savestates, and once with savestates. It's quite a lot of work. The only thing for it is either patience, or reading up on technical details about the Sunsoft 5B and learning Verilog in an attempt to simulate it yourself!

Thankfully, Sunsoft 5B is well documented and is a superset of FME-7, which is already implemented, plus a variant of the AY-3-8910. Nestopia has implemented the Sunsoft 5B as well, or at least the parts that Gimmick! uses. I've researched into this area a bit myself, with the hopes that one day I might be able to contribute a mapper or two, but that's a long way off :) I know a bit about programming software, but not so much hardware...

For now, if anyone wants an inexpensive alternative to buying Gimmick! (JPN) with expansion sound, you can purchase a full NES cartridge PCB populated with a new Sunsoft 5B MMC and CHR/PRG ROM chips, plus programmer for ~47$. I haven't purchased it myself, but it looks legitimate.

Sorry for the thread derail! Just wanted to share some information I've accumulated about this gem.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 11:48 AM by MP2E »

Offline keropi

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2014, 12:19 PM »
^ heh
reminds me of the Mr. Gimmick! repro I made long before EDN8 was released:

uses a FME-7 donor cart and a real 38910 interfaced to the bus , works fine , even the cart shell closes nicely  ;D

Offline TheRetromancer

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2014, 07:46 PM »
Awesome!

The FPGA in the Everdrive N8 should be strong enough to simulate every mapper there has ever been for NES with save state support. *Actually doing so* is another story, from reading around, krikzz has to simulate every mapper twice in Verilog, once to get the game to work without savestates, and once with savestates. It's quite a lot of work. The only thing for it is either patience, or reading up on technical details about the Sunsoft 5B and learning Verilog in an attempt to simulate it yourself!

Thankfully, Sunsoft 5B is well documented and is a superset of FME-7, which is already implemented, plus a variant of the AY-3-8910. Nestopia has implemented the Sunsoft 5B as well, or at least the parts that Gimmick! uses. I've researched into this area a bit myself, with the hopes that one day I might be able to contribute a mapper or two, but that's a long way off :) I know a bit about programming software, but not so much hardware...

For now, if anyone wants an inexpensive alternative to buying Gimmick! (JPN) with expansion sound, you can purchase a full NES cartridge PCB populated with a new Sunsoft 5B MMC and CHR/PRG ROM chips, plus programmer for ~47$. I haven't purchased it myself, but it looks legitimate.

Sorry for the thread derail! Just wanted to share some information I've accumulated about this gem.

I have both the regular (non-expansion audio enabled) and expansion audio versions of the InfiniteNesLives Gimmick board, and it is phenomenal.  I already have a couple of different IC programmers, so I didn't need his flash programmer and instead used 27C010 and 27C020 chips, and it sounds absolutely dead on through my modded NES and my modded AV Famicom with a modded NES-to-FC adapter.  If you have a programmer or know someone with one, you can drop about $25 to make yourself a copy, and you will never regret it.
Code is sacred to programmers - Krikzz' stuff is the holy grail.  It's literally like asking if you can stick your finger up the Pope's arse.

The best way to learn is to ask questions.  Remember, there are no stupid questions - only stupid people, and stupid people DON'T ASK QUESTIONS.

Offline narshe

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2014, 05:10 AM »
I would love to have save state capabilities for Gimmick! also. It's a game I want to learn to speedrun.