Author Topic: Super Mario World Hack Collection  (Read 14599 times)

Offline Kyle

• Game Genie Guy
    • View Profile
Super Mario World Hack Collection
« on: January 29, 2014, 03:11 AM »
This is a collection of IPS files for Super Mario World that are known to work on hardware. It comes bundled with a utility that will automagically turn them into roms.

http://srktt.com/files/IPSGuy.7z

Usage:

1. Copy a clean Super Mario World (U) [!].smc rom to the IPSGuy directory
2. Run IPSGuy.exe and watch it do its thing
3. Roms will fill the Hacks directory

More:

I once posted on the SMW Central forum asking about flashcart compatibility. I quickly got the impression that this was not their focus. Most of the rom hacks are developed/tested with an emulator like ZSNES.

Fast forward a good while. A reproduction store called shopflashback.com was posted on NintendoAge. It featured a nice variety of Super Mario World hacks. I figured that he must have vetted them enough to conclude that they work well on hardware and were high quality/complete enough to ask money for.

I've hunted down the original IPS files for what he has available and packaged them with a small tool/ucon64 to create a set of roms for flashcart use. The original readme file (when available) is also included for them.

All that is missing from this archive is a clean copy of Super Mario World (U) [!].smc. Place this in the same directory as IPSGuy.exe. I've added a check to confirm that the file is valid. If your rom is bad you will get an error and the process will hault.

Two additional/optional files are included:

IPSGuy.ips - This adds two cheats to each rom. (1) Infinite lives and (2) press start+select to skip to the next level. If you do not want these then simply rename or delete this file.

IPSGuy.srm - This generates save files for use with a PowerPak. Copy the Saves directory to your CF card. This can also be deleted if you are using an Everdrive.

It is not my intent to undermine shopflashback.com. I do not know if he pays royalties to the rom hackers but I suspect that the majority did not consider charging for their creations.

Until next time,
Kyle

Offline robneal81

• View Profile
Re: Super Mario World Hack Collection
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 03:49 PM »
Thanks so much for sharing these and putting them together in a neat package!  I've passed this page on to everyone I know with a Super Everdrive (or SD2SNES) and I'm sure they'll all give some a try.

I'm most interested to play Super Mario 2D Land.  It's supposedly exactly like "Super Mario 3D Land" for the 3DS, but SMW-style.

Offline edd_jedi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 08:28 PM »
Er, nice try, but for me at least these don't work. The roms seem to have been created OK, but none load in my Super Everdrive. When loading they all think the rom size is 512k, and it says the headers are missing.

Offline Kyle

• Game Genie Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 10:05 PM »
Try applying the IPS files manually with LunarIPS. All this is doing is verifying you have a good base rom and then patching it with the supplied files. There shouldn't really be anything to go wrong. The base rom  should be headered or it will fail verification.

Offline TeamShake

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 10:45 PM »
Try applying the IPS files manually with LunarIPS. All this is doing is verifying you have a good base rom and then patching it with the supplied files. There shouldn't really be anything to go wrong. The base rom  should be headered or it will fail verification.

It did not fail the verication on my pc for not having a header.  The roms did work after I added one though.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 10:51 PM by TeamShake »

Offline Kyle

• Game Genie Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2014, 01:30 AM »
Sorry this is causing so much grief. Here's a page on the SMW Central site that does the same. Upload the file you have. If it doesn't pass then it's not right.

http://www.smwcentral.net/online/clean/

Offline edd_jedi

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2014, 05:42 PM »
Got it working. I used the rom checker URL you gave and it turned out I had a bad one. In fact I downloaded several from 'popular' sites and they all failed too, took a while to find a good one. But now they all work. Really appreciate this, I was stuck on the World 4 Castle on Return to Dinosaur Land, so looking forward to skipping it with the cheat and carrying on.

Offline thepcdude

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2014, 11:45 PM »
Got it working. I used the rom checker URL you gave and it turned out I had a bad one. In fact I downloaded several from 'popular' sites and they all failed too, took a while to find a good one. But now they all work. Really appreciate this, I was stuck on the World 4 Castle on Return to Dinosaur Land, so looking forward to skipping it with the cheat and carrying on.

I'm having a hard time finding a clean rom. Could you name the site or a the very least just hint at where you got it from?
Thanks thepcdude

Offline TeamShake

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2014, 04:11 AM »

I'm having a hard time finding a clean rom. Could you name the site or a the very least just hint at where you got it from?
Thanks thepcdude

Just add a header to your rom using the program nsrt. It probably won't match the crc from the checker, but will still work. The rom from the good set does not have a header.

Offline edd_jedi

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2014, 11:42 AM »
Search for the ROM name in Google, I used the one hosted on Google code. All the ROM site ones weren't clean.

Offline STONEDSTONER

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2014, 06:55 PM »
Thanks, kyle always posts good stuff!