Author Topic: How to Play Super Mario 64 Hacks on the ED64!  (Read 54236 times)

Offline Richie

• View Profile
Re: How to Play Super Mario 64 Hacks on the ED64!
« Reply #75 on: May 18, 2015, 05:34 PM »
Is that possible to put an link to download RN64CRC.EXE and ED64.EXE please ?
I don't find them on Google !

Offline miba

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 23, 2015, 12:11 PM »
I'd like to know where to find ed64.exe as well, tried searching for it for a bit couldn't find it anywhere.

Is that possible to put an link to download RN64CRC.EXE and ED64.EXE please ?

you can find rn64crc on smwcentral under the tools section
Flashcarts I own: Super Everdrive v2 (gray), Everdrive N8 Famicom (transparent blue), Everdrive 64 v2.5 (transparent red)

Offline skaman

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 24, 2015, 12:02 AM »
Link to ED64:

This should do the process as cheaterdragon1 explained it. I took your hex values into LibreOffice Calc, rearranged them and got them in a format I could work with. Feel free to try this out. I don't own an ED64.  :(

http://srktt.com/files/ED64.zip

Source: http://srktt.com/files/ED64.txt

I also need the second part explained if there's more to this.

Offline Edvin1314

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 16, 2015, 01:05 AM »
Hi! sorry for bumping such an old thread, but has anyone figured out how to fix the texture problem on sm74,return to retroland etc..?

Offline Paulweeze

• Video Game Connoisseur
  • Music and Games are good for the soul.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 16, 2015, 07:29 AM »
Hi! sorry for bumping such an old thread, but has anyone figured out how to fix the texture problem on sm74,return to retroland etc..?

Quite honestly, besides macN64 finding out how to fix the scanline issue, no one has really dug deep into why some textures are missing. I would love to do some research myself but lack the debugging skills required. And Vertrex has since disapeared from the site since his initial findings.
Everdrives I own: ED64, Mega Everdrive, EDGB, EDGG, N8, Master Everdrive

Other Flashcarts: SD2SNES

Offline macN64

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 18, 2015, 10:00 PM »
I probably owe you guys an update...

First of all, I'm giving the Mario stuff a bit of a rest for now (as real life dictates).

I had been posting over at smwcentral instead of here, as things dried up a bit in this thread (I felt like I was talking to myself after a while). If you haven't seen it already, have a look at this thread on smwcentral, you'll be pretty much up to speed afterwards: http://www.smwcentral.net/?p=viewthread&t=78265

As for the missing textures, it seems to me that the issues are caused when no fog settings are applied when importing your obj into the rom. Kaze thinks  it's not the presence of fog itself that allows textures to display properly, but a flaw in the level importer - when you import a level without fog, the importer misses something out/does something incorrectly which has the effect of causing issues with textures. And Kaze also thinks that adding fog retroactively to hacks already out in the wild is not really an option.

I made a few test levels (which were mostly getting to grips with 3D modelling software) using Toad's Tool 64 and Skelux's Importer (Version 1.9S! Not 1.9.3S!) and got them displaying textures correctly on console. Obligatory video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxU3p_tlOvE

So yeah – SM64 hacks on N64, it CAN be done.
(I've got some other videos of level imports and misc tests, you can find them here if you want: http://www.youtube.com/user/macN64/videos)

Another big development is the release of a new SM64 editor, by Jedi, which uses Unity. It doesn't let you import your own levels yet, but you can change what's already there. This editor aims to be hardware compatible. In my opinion, this is where efforts should now be focused – getting to the point where future hacks will be N64 compliment by default. Once/if that's achieved, then we can go back and try and fix the broken, "legacy" hacks.

I have never used the Unity editor before, I've downloaded it, it's sitting on my hard drive, but I haven't tried it yet. I need to sink some time into it and try out Jedi's editor, but my immediate priorities are elsewhere right now. I do hope to come back to it in the not too distant future though.

So, if you want to help get more SM64 hacks working on console and you don't know where to start, perhaps consider trying out Jedi's new editor and giving him/us some feedback on how you get on. :) You could also use the old tools, as I have done, and see if you too can get your levels displaying correctly on console.

Offline emuman100

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 19, 2020, 04:44 AM »
Has anyone gotten Super Mario Sunshine 64 or Super Mario Odyssey 64 to work with this method?