Author Topic: Everdrive 64 Compatibility  (Read 238715 times)

Offline Rexnus

• View Profile
Re: Everdrive 64 Compatibility
« Reply #135 on: October 31, 2015, 09:24 AM »
Well my question would be this. I really don't know how any of this stuff works, I'm just an avid nintendo 64 collector, and I'm interested in purchasing one just so I can play my games but don't have to worry about damaging my carts with normal wear and tear. When you play on an emulator, they have the games that save to the cart and all that works fine and dandy, but there's also an option to save as and make a file where when opened loads up from that exact moment. I was wondering if in the future this would be possible to do? This would fix compatibility with donkey kong as you can just make a separate file that saves directly to the SD card and you don't have to worry about it auto deleting because it loads up from the same point, also with games that use a controller pak it completely removed the need for one as you just create a save file. Is this something that's only possible because of the emulation only being on a computer or would this be possible. Apologies in advance for me not having and understanding of how this stuff works

Offline saturnu

• ヽ(^o^)丿
    • View Profile
    • :D
« Reply #136 on: October 31, 2015, 10:03 AM »
i doubt it. ^^

Offline Gh0st

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 11, 2015, 04:46 PM »
Question regarding Pokemon Stadium 2's incompatibility:

If space is the issue here, could a patch be made that removes some unnecessary information?

If you look on this page (https://tcrf.net/Pok%C3%A9mon_Stadium_2_%28International%29), there are a number of unused elements in the game that could be potentially removed without affecting any gameplay. It looks like the code for the debug menu should be pretty sizable in itself, and there's at least one character model that can be removed.

The only issue that I could foresee is some bits of program at the end of the rom not executing properly due to being in different memory locations than before... But since other patches work, I feel like there's a way around this.

Offline saturnu

• ヽ(^o^)丿
    • View Profile
    • :D
« Reply #138 on: November 11, 2015, 05:33 PM »
in theory it should be possible to shrink the game and relocate the data at the end of the memory.
normally the data section is located at the end of the game and the code section is located at beginning of the cartspace.

but i think, the way to go is to relocate the sram position with a special mapper. it would be the much easier solution, 'cause you don't have to hassle with rompatching at all.
btw. this concept is already approved  by another flashcart. ^^

here are my two cents about the compatibility of the usual suspects

after a bit forum search, i'm not sure if "star wars episode 1 - racer" has a problem at all.
maybe some guys are just using a bad dump.
there is no special feature in the 6102 cic you could check for and epprom access is done through pif commands. ^^
the eeprom chip isn't transparent nor special in any way in respect to the game.

the problem with dk64 was never an inaccurate eeprom simulation and it is simply a random cic 6105 test, 'cause RARE is using a cic test in JFG and BT, too.
i don't think it's just a coincidence that it's a 6105 game. there is a good chance it's fixed with an UltraCIC II (it should work ^^).

some note about "battle tanx"
the previous fix for that was to manually set the timing within the cic simulation.
the new cic simulation, that was introduced with parasytes game shark core, is working more accurate.
it's reading out that information in the header of every game and "battle tanx" is running fine for me, too.

about "pokemon stadium 2"
as many of you know, this is just a problem of the sram location at the end of the sdram.
technically it is possible to get this running on a v2/2.5 with an fpga update and a splitted mapper.
but there is "animal forest" too so you will only gain full compatibility on a v3 anyway,
even if krikzz would decide to go through this crude implementation. ^^

Dezaemon 3D is already fixed with >OS2.10
Jet Fore Gemini should now work with UltraCIC II
Banjo Tooie should now work with UltraCIC II

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 16, 2015, 12:09 AM »
I updated the first post with the latest info.
It just occurred to me that technically if you have an Everdrive V3, latest OS and an UltraCIC II installed, the only known incompatible game is Mario no Photopi! :D

Offline welfnm

• View Profile
« Reply #140 on: December 03, 2015, 02:19 PM »
I thought of starting a new thread but this should be the best place.
I've working with patches for the last two months and few days ago when news about the CIC II arrived I was helped by other users to clear some issues regarding patches/fixes

THIS POST IS TO TRY TO EXPLAIN THE NEED FOR PATCH FIXES FOR THOSE WHO DONT HAVE ULTRACIC II

I posted a zip with some roms and here is the original txt file. At that time I thought that MANY roms need patches/fixes in order to work (save fixes, protection removers etc)
This has changed. Read the following:

Code: [Select]
*1080 Snowboarding (JU) (M2) [f5] (SRAM)
*Banjo-Kazooie (U) (V1.0) [f1].z64
*Banjo-Kazooie (USA) (Rev A).n64
*Banjo-Tooie (U) [!].z64
*Donkey Kong 64 (U) [f2].z64
*Excitebike 64 (U) [!] [f1] patched.z64
*HSV Adventure Racing (A) [f1] (NTSC).z64
*Jet Force Gemini (U) [!].z64
*Mickey's Speedway USA (U) [f1].z64
*Mini Racers (Patched).v64
*notes.txt
*Resident Evil 2 (U) (V1.1) [!].z64
*Sin and Punishment -  PATCHED.z64
*Star Wars - Rogue Squadron (U) [f1].z64
*Star Wars - Shadows of the Empire (U) (V1.2) [!].z64
*Star Wars Episode I - Racer (U) [f1] (Save).z64
*Turok 2 - Seeds of Evil (U) (V1.1).z64
*WCW vs. nWo - World Tour (U) (V1.1) [!].z64
*WWF No Mercy (U) (V1.1) [!].z64

I'll now try to update the list using the new information I have along with other games

1) 1080 Snowboarding
--- You don't need any patch/fix for it. There are literally more than 8 fixes for it, some alters the save type (to SRAM) others are unclear. Anyway, does not matter, use the [!] and nevermind the [f5] SRAM patch

2) Banjo-Kazooie (USA) (Rev A)
--- .You may use REV A [!] it fixes some bugs by the developer . REV A = v1.1. No patches, nothing. Just plug n' play.

3) Banjo-Tooie
--- Micro-64 explains: "When you add an NTSC Banjo-Tooie ROM to your Everdrive it will be automatically patched for you; just start the game like normal and enjoy. I've played through the fixed version of this game 100% and have had no issues with it."
So you don't need to patch yourself the rom but you could and you may use it the [f1] version but I recommend you apply the patch by yourself

4)Donkey Kong 64
---This game is being tested by me. I'm testing the [!] version, no fixes.
I'm not 100% sure if this feature is still on 2.11 but "Normally the game is EEP16K, but now it's SRAM. If you're running OS 2.09 then the Everdrive will automatically apply this save-type change for you."

So I really don't know if when I'm playing [!] I'm playing it with save type SRAM or 16k.
(I will post eventually my results. People reported to work 100% with [f2] so you may want to use it.)

5) Excitebike 64
-- Patch not needed. Use the [!].

6) HSV Adventure Racing (A) [f1] (This game is in pal originally)
--- I remember reading information about this but I think the only thing that this does is convert the rom to NTSC so you can play in NTSC with no problems. Anyway, it's not something you should worry about, just play Beetle Adventure Racing instead.

7) Jet Force Gemini
-- You'll need the patch. Apply by yourself or get the [f1].
I BELIEVE KRIKZZ ADDED AN AUTO PATCH SO YOU DONT HAVE TO PATCH IT

8) Star Wars Episode I - Racer
-- Use the [!] but watch if your upgrades are not lost. If they do, use the  [f1] and press Start+Z at the intro in order to this game work, otherwise it won't start properly.

9) Sin and Punishment
-- This is the only game I recommend downloading my version of it. I tested 2 other versions that I applied the patch by myself but it was not only on the third rom that it worked. Who knows?
I have no idea if there are a better way to play it other than patching

10) Mickey's Speedway USA
--- Use the [!] not [f1]

11) WCW vs. nWo - World Tour
-- Some users said they lost their files after hours of playing. I have no idea what cause this issue and if this issue is a problem of ED64. My bet is that the games should run normally in the OS2.11. I recommend using the (v.1.1) [!]

12) WWF No Mercy
---Use the (V1.1) [!]
http://www.nesworld.com/n64-wwfnomercyv1.php

That's it. For Star Wars use the latest version (v1.2) and for Rogue Squadron use the normal [!]
Mini racers patch is needed of course, it's not a regular release.
----------------------------------

The Good news for people who ordered the ULTRACIC II version or are installing them is this

seems like patching times are over :D
i'm a bit in a hurry and i'm going to tell you guys later :D

test session:
6105 Banjo Tooie pal/ntsc works
6193 Banjo Kazooie works
6105 Jet Force Gemini works
6103 Diddy Kong Racing works
6106 Yoshi's Story works
6103 1080 Snowboarding pal/ntsc works
6103 Excitebike 64 works
6106 Crusi'n world works
6102 Super Mario 64 works
6103 Pokemon Stadium works
6102 Battle Tanx works
6106 F-Zero X works
RTC Doubutsu no Mori works
64DD Sim City 64 works
Aleck64 Hi Pai Paradise works

Cheers!
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 02:28 PM by welfnm »

Offline rafaelalvesals

• Hue Hue BR BR
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 03, 2015, 02:48 PM »
4)Donkey Kong 64
I'm not 100% sure if this feature is still on 2.11 but "Normally the game is EEP16K, but now it's SRAM. If you're running OS 2.09 then the Everdrive will automatically apply this save-type change for you."

So I really don't know if when I'm playing [!] I'm playing it with save type SRAM or 16k.
(I will post eventually my results. People reported to work 100% with [f2] so you may want to use it.)

Check the ID or CRC HI of your ROM and look your save_db.txt, if it have a entry there and the ID/CRC HI match, you are playing with sram.

Offline welfnm

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 03, 2015, 02:52 PM »
4)Donkey Kong 64

Check the ID or CRC HI of your ROM and look your save_db.txt, if it have a entry there and the ID/CRC HI match, you are playing with sram.

There was the [f2]
It was forcing SRAM on the savedb but I removed :D

So I believe if I play either [!] or [f2] I won't be using SRAM

I'd like to test if the game works by default
The problem is that if I lose 100 bananas

BUT the issue is that maybe the [f2] code forces SRAM regardless ED 64
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 02:57 PM by welfnm »

Offline Bassraupe

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 03, 2015, 04:56 PM »

test session:
6193 Banjo Kazooie works
6106 Yoshi's Story works
6103 Excitebike 64 works
6106 Crusi'n world works
6102 Battle Tanx works
6106 F-Zero X works
64DD Sim City 64 works

Hey

I have an Everdrive v3 and installed the latest OS, but the PAL version of Banjo-Tooie does not work. The NTSC Version is working fine though. What can I do?

thx

Offline rafaelalvesals

• Hue Hue BR BR
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 03, 2015, 05:23 PM »

test session:
6193 Banjo Kazooie works
6106 Yoshi's Story works
6103 Excitebike 64 works
6106 Crusi'n world works
6102 Battle Tanx works
6106 F-Zero X works
64DD Sim City 64 works

Hey

I have an Everdrive v3 and installed the latest OS, but the PAL version of Banjo-Tooie does not work. The NTSC Version is working fine though. What can I do?

thx

You need to change your CIC chip (if you have the version that use a cic from a original cart) or update you CIC (if you have the one with UltraCIC) to the UltraCIC II, you can see how to do this here:

http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=3450.0

Offline welfnm

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: December 03, 2015, 10:56 PM »
Two questions please;

1) DK64 [f2] is on save.db as "force sram". isn't this game already in sram?. (I mean, I thought the [f2] version was modified to force sram already)

2) Jet Force: Auto Patch not working. Perhaps because I'm using No-intro set? the dump is ok, good.
Confirmed: Jet Force Gemini is not patched by the OS if you use the no-intro set. The CRC32 of the no-intro set rom is B5932174

Also it does not work if you patch the no-intro rom. It also does not work if you don't pre patch in your windows/mac/linux

So to play JFG you must have a patched rom :)

« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 12:07 AM by welfnm »

Offline rafaelalvesals

• Hue Hue BR BR
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: December 03, 2015, 11:10 PM »
Two questions please;

1) DK64 [f2] is on save.db as "force sram". isn't this game already in sram?. (I mean, I thought the [f2] version was modified to force sram already)

2) Jet Force: Auto Patch not working. Perhaps because I'm using No-intro set? the dump is ok, good.

1) i think that the patch is to make the rom compatible with this kind of save only, dont know for sure

2)download the last update and substitute the files, mine was from the no-intro set too and worked fine before i change for the UltraCIC II and delete the folder.

Offline welfnm

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: December 04, 2015, 12:08 AM »
Two questions please;

1) i think that the patch is to make the rom compatible with this kind of save only, dont know for sure

2)download the last update and substitute the files, mine was from the no-intro set too and worked fine before i change for the UltraCIC II and delete the folder.

I edited my comment above to include some updates
I've been testing this for the last 1 hour

So far I conclude that only goodset Jet Force Gemini [!] works but you MUST patch it first. The auto patch/IPS/APS does not work, you must manually patch it first in your linux/mac/windows or download already patched rom

p.s: on planet-emu most files are from no-intro.

Now I'm going to thest Banjo Tooie no-intro patched/not patched and goodset patched/not patched

UPDATE:
Banjo Tooie worked using the no-intro rom and with the patch just like the [!] goodset rom also worked with the patch.

Banjo Tooie also works  (just as reported before) using the auto patch feature. Just throw the [!] there and be happy.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 12:28 AM by welfnm »

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: December 04, 2015, 02:10 AM »
welfnm what are you trying to achieve with this? You are just trying out random patches that was created long ago for ancient copiers without having a clue what the patches do.

The only thing I gather from you list list that DK64, JFG, Banjo Tooie, Star Wars Episode I and Sin and Punishment needs patches. And all but Sin and Punishment are already in the incompatibility list. And Sin and Punishment doesn't need any patches, I've played it from start to finish several times, you are probably using a bad rom.

There are only three 6105-games and they are the only ones that are fixed by the ultra CIC II. JFG isn't auto-patched by the ED64 by default, only Banjo Tooie is. Look in the auto-patch folder in the OS.

DK64 uses EEPROM save type by default, the patch changes the rom to use SRAM instead, it doesn't have anything to do with auto-forcing the save type in the ED64.

I also believe like Saturnu that Star Wars Episode I needs a patch is bogus, but I'll leave it in the list until I bother testing it myself or someone else tests it properly.

Offline mrpopsicleman

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: December 04, 2015, 10:07 AM »
11) WCW vs. nWo - World Tour
-- Some users said they lost their files after hours of playing. I have no idea what cause this issue and if this issue is a problem of ED64. My bet is that the games should run normally in the OS2.11. I recommend using the (v.1.1) [!]

World Tour uses the Controller Pak for saving. That could be why some are losing progress after hours of play, maybe they aren't using a Controller Pak or Memory Card.