Author Topic: Everdrive 64 Compatibility  (Read 238689 times)

Offline welfnm

• View Profile
Re: Everdrive 64 Compatibility
« Reply #150 on: December 04, 2015, 01:11 PM »
welfnm what are you trying to achieve with this? You are just trying out random patches that was created long ago for ancient copiers without having a clue what the patches do.

The only thing I gather from you list list that DK64, JFG, Banjo Tooie, Star Wars Episode I and Sin and Punishment needs patches. And all but Sin and Punishment are already in the incompatibility list. And Sin and Punishment doesn't need any patches, I've played it from start to finish several times, you are probably using a bad rom.

There are only three 6105-games and they are the only ones that are fixed by the ultra CIC II. JFG isn't auto-patched by the ED64 by default, only Banjo Tooie is. Look in the auto-patch folder in the OS.

DK64 uses EEPROM save type by default, the patch changes the rom to use SRAM instead, it doesn't have anything to do with auto-forcing the save type in the ED64.

I also believe like Saturnu that Star Wars Episode I needs a patch is bogus, but I'll leave it in the list until I bother testing it myself or someone else tests it properly.

Exactly

Back in August I uploaded a bunch of patches because I wasn't aware of the many games that DIDN'T need patches in the first place

Now I'm correcting this , that's why I posted info about all games that I posted back in August, except now I'm saying "why you should use the [!] and why you don't need the patch" :)

Also, the Sin&P game patch is the english patch of course, nothing to do with the japanese [!]

For me the only way to play S&P in english was to find a third rom after 3 different ones didn't work, I also applied the patch by myself  and and I downloaded already in english a couple of ones.

I know my english is bad, so I apologize for that

P.S: So yes.. the only two games that should be looked upon are DK64 and Star Wars Racing. I'm focusing on playing DK64 [!] at the moment.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 01:16 PM by welfnm »

Offline punio75

• View Profile
« Reply #151 on: December 05, 2015, 07:38 PM »
Hi guys- new to the forum.

:D

Just bought  EverDrive-64 v3   Cart Type: NTSC+PAL(UltraCIC) 

For some reason I can't get a picture. I have a RGB modded pal machine.
It works with standard pal games so I know the machine is ok.

Any help appreciated.

Offline saturnu

• ヽ(^o^)丿
    • View Profile
    • :D
« Reply #152 on: December 05, 2015, 07:40 PM »

Offline punio75

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: December 05, 2015, 07:53 PM »
Doh!  ::)

Thanks!

Newbie to all this- can I play US roms on this machine? I understand they are the superior versions.

Offline saturnu

• ヽ(^o^)丿
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: December 05, 2015, 07:59 PM »
sure, this is working ^^

Offline punio75

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: December 05, 2015, 08:10 PM »
Yes, it works now. Thanks so much.

Offline D4v3WTF

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: December 05, 2015, 11:03 PM »
Yes, it works now. Thanks so much.

I hope you have fun with your ED64, my brother and me are playing every weekend with the ED64  :)
N64 PAL Games Collection: 204/243
N64 PAL Demo Collection: 1/1
N64 Region Free NTSC Games: 1
Everdrive 64 v2.01 modded UltraCIC II
SD2SNES Rev. F modded Rev. H

Offline punio75

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: December 05, 2015, 11:21 PM »
Thanks guys, really looking froward to reliving some classic games.

Sorry for the silly questions- but am I right in thinking I can now play any game from any region?

Offline D4v3WTF

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: December 06, 2015, 12:28 AM »
If you have an RGB modded N64 you won't have any problems! Maybe you have some ED64 menu blinking, but there is a fix for this.
N64 PAL Games Collection: 204/243
N64 PAL Demo Collection: 1/1
N64 Region Free NTSC Games: 1
Everdrive 64 v2.01 modded UltraCIC II
SD2SNES Rev. F modded Rev. H

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: December 06, 2015, 07:01 PM »
welfnm what are you trying to achieve with this? You are just trying out random patches that was created long ago for ancient copiers without having a clue what the patches do.

The only thing I gather from you list list that DK64, JFG, Banjo Tooie, Star Wars Episode I and Sin and Punishment needs patches. And all but Sin and Punishment are already in the incompatibility list. And Sin and Punishment doesn't need any patches, I've played it from start to finish several times, you are probably using a bad rom.

There are only three 6105-games and they are the only ones that are fixed by the ultra CIC II. JFG isn't auto-patched by the ED64 by default, only Banjo Tooie is. Look in the auto-patch folder in the OS.

DK64 uses EEPROM save type by default, the patch changes the rom to use SRAM instead, it doesn't have anything to do with auto-forcing the save type in the ED64.

I also believe like Saturnu that Star Wars Episode I needs a patch is bogus, but I'll leave it in the list until I bother testing it myself or someone else tests it properly.

Exactly

Back in August I uploaded a bunch of patches because I wasn't aware of the many games that DIDN'T need patches in the first place

Now I'm correcting this , that's why I posted info about all games that I posted back in August, except now I'm saying "why you should use the [!] and why you don't need the patch" :)

Also, the Sin&P game patch is the english patch of course, nothing to do with the japanese [!]

For me the only way to play S&P in english was to find a third rom after 3 different ones didn't work, I also applied the patch by myself  and and I downloaded already in english a couple of ones.

P.S: So yes.. the only two games that should be looked upon are DK64 and Star Wars Racing. I'm focusing on playing DK64 [!] at the moment.
Fair enough. If people just read the compatibility list though, they would never believe you needed all those unneeded patches.

Offline welfnm

• View Profile
« Reply #160 on: December 06, 2015, 10:02 PM »

Exactly

Fair enough. If people just read the compatibility list though, they would never believe you needed all those unneeded patches.

In August the list was not incomplete but lacked explanations for DK64 and JFG

Back in august it was not only incomplete but inaccurate. Thankfully you did edited and fixed. Thanks!

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #161 on: December 08, 2015, 12:10 AM »
Hopefully it's more clear now. Only Star Wars Episode I - Racer is still a question mark.

Offline Gh0st

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: December 09, 2015, 10:43 AM »
in theory it should be possible to shrink the game and relocate the data at the end of the memory.
normally the data section is located at the end of the game and the code section is located at beginning of the cartspace.

but i think, the way to go is to relocate the sram position with a special mapper. it would be the much easier solution, 'cause you don't have to hassle with rompatching at all.
btw. this concept is already approved  by another flashcart. ^^

here are my two cents about the compatibility of the usual suspects

after a bit forum search, i'm not sure if "star wars episode 1 - racer" has a problem at all.
maybe some guys are just using a bad dump.
there is no special feature in the 6102 cic you could check for and epprom access is done through pif commands. ^^
the eeprom chip isn't transparent nor special in any way in respect to the game.

the problem with dk64 was never an inaccurate eeprom simulation and it is simply a random cic 6105 test, 'cause RARE is using a cic test in JFG and BT, too.
i don't think it's just a coincidence that it's a 6105 game. there is a good chance it's fixed with an UltraCIC II (it should work ^^).

some note about "battle tanx"
the previous fix for that was to manually set the timing within the cic simulation.
the new cic simulation, that was introduced with parasytes game shark core, is working more accurate.
it's reading out that information in the header of every game and "battle tanx" is running fine for me, too.

about "pokemon stadium 2"
as many of you know, this is just a problem of the sram location at the end of the sdram.
technically it is possible to get this running on a v2/2.5 with an fpga update and a splitted mapper.
but there is "animal forest" too so you will only gain full compatibility on a v3 anyway,
even if krikzz would decide to go through this crude implementation. ^^

Dezaemon 3D is already fixed with >OS2.10
Jet Fore Gemini should now work with UltraCIC II
Banjo Tooie should now work with UltraCIC II

Really late reply, but how difficult would it be to implement the split mapper for Pokemon Stadium 2 compatibility? I (and I feel like others feel this way) am fine with having a flashcart compatible with just about every game except Animal Forest (since it got a GC release anyway) and that one game with a modem. I could easily understand no one willing to do it if it's a hard implementation that still would leave the ED64 v2 at 99.9% compatibility, but I feel like it would also make v2 owners happy if the fix was somewhat easy and was implemented in a future OS/FW update.

Offline saturnu

• ヽ(^o^)丿
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: December 09, 2015, 10:54 AM »
it's not that hard, there is another flashcart on the market with this feature. you can do a bindiff of the current cartspace and then you have the useable spots in memory.
after that it's some copy&paste in hdl and the menu source.

it's even possible to get rid of the reset saving on the v2, but why should krikzz do that? that would make the v3 nearly pointless beside the rtc and usb.
i would even sell the ultracic II only with the v3, to differentiate it a better from the v2:>

Offline Aroenai

• Sentient Hunk of Green Cheese
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 06, 2016, 05:31 PM »
Just in case anyone is interested, wareya released a patch for the Legend of Zelda Majora's Mask debug rom to make it NTSC with proper sound: linky
---
Mostly working on Zelda OoT & MM GC patches
Also, breaking region protections
Everdrive 64 v2.01 modified with an UltraCIC II, 64drive HW2