Author Topic: Dimensions  (Read 8908 times)

Offline Mickkn

• View Profile
Dimensions
« on: March 30, 2014, 06:57 PM »
Will it be possible to fit the EDGB in a normal shell without making a hole for microSD ?

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Dimensions
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 08:02 PM »
should fit

Offline spoonTRex

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2014, 03:23 PM »
should fit

Are you both talking about the standard grey cartridge? The one not for GB color games, but the one that's top scoops into itself? I'm really curious about that, too. :)

(Just want to be clear, as that's the type of shell I'd like to use, too.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 03:27 PM by spoonTRex »

Offline Mickkn

• View Profile
Dimensions
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2014, 03:35 PM »
I consider most shells except the gbc clear ones and rumble/camera normal shells :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Offline pon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2014, 09:16 PM »
should fit

Are you both talking about the standard grey cartridge? The one not for GB color games, but the one that's top scoops into itself? I'm really curious about that, too. :)

(Just want to be clear, as that's the type of shell I'd like to use, too.

They do not make a good fit. The corner with the battery holder will be sticking out. i got about 20 shells to use as donors but they all have this problem. Game Boy Color carts work fine though.

microSD fits fine in an unmodified shell. You can just close it up.

I have mine in one of the kitsch-bent shells with the top that sticks out as they are the same shape (top sticks out) as a Game Boy Color shell, except with a hole cut out for microSD access.

The cut on this cart is a bit rough, i was impatient and cut it very quickly and wanted rapid sd card access. I may eventually put it in a shell with the slot covered up once everything is as I like it.
I took a photo to show how even on the GB Color style ones, the battery holder fits fine, but I broke a tab on the side of this cart so it doesn't close completely on that corner...

Hopefully EDGB v2 will have a slimmer battery holder so they can fit nice in all shells, but I know this may not be possible ;)
Even though the corner with the battery holder will still bulge in a normal size cart, it will not be a problem inserting into a game boy.

Here's some pics of EDGB inside a normal grey shell (inverted top) and a pirate GBC shell (same dimensions as real GBC shell, just different text), you can see the old style shell bulges where the GBC fits fine.

It will still fit in the GB and play fine... it is just not as nice looking.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 09:38 PM by pon »

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2014, 11:56 PM »
cartridge in gray shell should look much better than yours

Offline goombakid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2014, 06:46 AM »
I think it was Mickkn that mentioned the battery stuck out so it wouldn't fit in a gray shell without some modification. I'm thinking that's what happened there.

Offline spoonTRex

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2014, 07:45 AM »
I think it was Mickkn that mentioned the battery stuck out so it wouldn't fit in a gray shell without some modification. I'm thinking that's what happened there.

I read that, too. I was already planning on dremmeling mine, looks like I definitely will need to. :)

Offline pon

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2014, 09:34 AM »

I read that, too. I was already planning on dremmeling mine, looks like I definitely will need to. :)

you can dremel it away from the inside? i will give it a shot, but at least GBC shell works without modification.

Offline ollidab

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2014, 09:50 AM »

you can dremel it away from the inside? i will give it a shot, but at least GBC shell works without modification.

Is this an issue of not being able to slide the case close? If it is you can apply pressure on the case and it will snap closed if there is space (did a proof-of-concept with an empty case). worst case scenario would be to remove the battery holder and solder a battery with tabs.
Consoles:
Own-> NES/SNES/N64/GC/Wii/Sega Genesis/Saturn/Dreamcast/PS1/PS2/PS3/XBox 360/(My PC :D)
Want ->TurboGrafx/Sega 32x/Sega CD/Sega Master System/Atari 7800/Atari XEGS/Atari Jaguar

Everdrives:
Own ->GB
Want -> EverDrive 64 v3/Mega EverDrive/EverDrive N8/SD2SNES/

Offline goombakid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2014, 12:38 PM »
You know, come to think of it, the Doctor GB had that sort of issue with its battery if you wanted to add RAM to it (info HERE). The mod itself mentions cutting a notch on the inner lip.

Offline spoonTRex

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2014, 03:41 PM »

Not having an EDGB in front of me (yet) to see how it fits inside the standard case, I am under the impression that just a little bit of modification should make it fit inside. I don't want a clear case, and I want to start with the default medium grey color of cart. (All my everdrives I've dyed to a dark grey color, so I want this to match, and I'm unsure how a clear case will respond to the dye.)

Offline pon

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2014, 11:40 PM »
Is this an issue of not being able to slide the case close? If it is you can apply pressure on the case and it will snap closed if there is space (did a proof-of-concept with an empty case). worst case scenario would be to remove the battery holder and solder a battery with tabs.
Not having an EDGB in front of me (yet) to see how it fits inside the standard case, I am under the impression that just a little bit of modification should make it fit inside. I don't want a clear case, and I want to start with the default medium grey color of cart. (All my everdrives I've dyed to a dark grey color, so I want this to match, and I'm unsure how a clear case will respond to the dye.)

I don't want to sound rude but it isn't much help if you guys don't have EDGBs. I have 26 here and a big pile of empty pre-GBC style shells. I know very well how they are -supposed- to close but you can't just put more pressure on it and make it close. Even if you could it would pop back open. There is physically not enough room for it.

That said I finally got around to dremeling it. I took off a little plastic on the inside and the fit is acceptable now.

Offline Link83

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2014, 05:43 PM »
Would it be possible to use a low profile coin cell retainer on a future Everdrive GB revision?:-
http://uk.farnell.com/keystone/3001/retainer-coin-cell-12mm-pk5/dp/908642
This should make it thin enough to fit inside a standard grey/black Game Boy case without dremelling the inside, whilst still allowing the user to replace the CR1220 battery when required (It just slides out the side of the retainer)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 05:50 PM by Link83 »

Offline JohnnyPhantom

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2014, 09:33 PM »
I wonder if one could desolder the battery and holder and solder a typical GB cart battery with tabs in it's place, if that will slim it enough.. hmm..