Author Topic: Which SNES hacks work on the Super Everdrive  (Read 11894 times)

Offline kwakzalf

• View Profile
Which SNES hacks work on the Super Everdrive
« on: April 02, 2014, 01:48 AM »
Hi all

So lately, a friend of mine lent me his SNES and a Superufo pro8 cartridge. He couldn't save his games and since he's not very good with computers, so he asked me to look into it. So I'm messing around with it for about a week now and sorted his problems. Now I'm looking into some hacks and whether they work on the real hardware. Specifically, Zelda hacks and Super Metroid hacks. Since I am a proud owner of an ED64, I am thinking of adding a Super Everdrive to my own collection (after I've found an affordable SNES ofcourse). So, are any of you into hacks?

The ones I couldn't get to boot (with my friends Superufo):
Metroid Super Zero Mission
Ice Metal
Super Metroid Phazon

The ones which booted:
Super Metroid Redesign
Zelda hacks (Parallel worlds + Parallel Remodel tested)

So what I want to know, do the ones mentioned work on the Super Everdrive? I'd like to know, as they are be a main reason for purchasing one.
I patched all the roms myself, starting from the SM rom from the No-intro set. Also, all hacked roms work perfectly on an emulator (snes9xtyl on my PSP)
Thanks in advance
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 01:59 AM by kwakzalf »

Offline kwakzalf

• View Profile
Re: Which SNES hacks work on the Super Everdrive
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 04:12 AM »
Come on guys, no replies? Someone must have tried this.

Offline Taz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 02:24 AM »
The same as here.
I tried the super metroids hacks and the zelda, It works, like yours, the others don't work...

Offline Missingno255

• hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2014, 02:01 AM »
Now I don't have Super Everdrive or an SNES, but I know from experience from playing hacks on my Sega Genesis and my Famicom with Mega Everdrive and Everdrive N8, that it REALLY depends (I can't stress this enough) if the hack was tested on an emulator or on the real hardware. A good tip with hacks is ALWAYS assume that it will not work on real hardware, since you won't really know how it was tested. It's a total crapshoot, but it's the only way you'll find out. :D
Owned Everdrives: Everdrive MD, Mega Everdrive, Everdrive N8, Everdrive GB X5, Turbo Everdrive, Super Everdrive, Everdrive GBA

Misc Flashcarts: SD2SNES

Offline kwakzalf

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2014, 02:48 PM »
Now I don't have Super Everdrive or an SNES, but I know from experience from playing hacks on my Sega Genesis and my Famicom with Mega Everdrive and Everdrive N8, that it REALLY depends (I can't stress this enough) if the hack was tested on an emulator or on the real hardware. A good tip with hacks is ALWAYS assume that it will not work on real hardware, since you won't really know how it was tested. It's a total crapshoot, but it's the only way you'll find out. :D

Hey thanks for the reply. I do assume that they don't work on real hardware, but judging from my short time with my friends superufo cart, I couldn't really get consistent results with it. Sometimes something booted, other times it didn't. I also assume that Krik's Super ED is more reliable, and generally a better product.
What I found weird is Metroid Super Zero Mission. I couldn' get it to boot, no matter what I tried. Later, I found a (homemade?) MSZM cart on a dutch website, so I know someone got it to work. The cart looked very professional, and I would have bought it if it didn't cost €60. For that kind of money I can buy a Super ED. Here is a link to the seller's storefront. MSZM isn't listed anymore, but you can see other carts with hacks like parallel worlds (all very pricy though..).
http://www.marktplaats.nl/verkopers/18023986.html

Edit: fixed some typos
Edit 2: found the MSZM cart: http://www.marktplaats.nl/a/spelcomputers-en-games/games-nintendo-super-nes/m783887292-metroid-super-zero-mission-met-engels-schermtext-snes.html?c=3c1f5dcc18d02a99040ca8de656940d2&previousPage=lr
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 09:57 PM by kwakzalf »

Offline BolinCaker

• View Profile
    • CakerBaby
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2014, 02:44 AM »
Not a hack, but does starfox 2 work?

Offline Paulweeze

• Video Game Connoisseur
  • Music and Games are good for the soul.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2014, 02:51 AM »
Not a hack, but does starfox 2 work?
Unfortunatly no, because both the snes everdrive and sdtosnes do not have a super fx chip and cannot emulate that chip. Starfox wont work either. Repros of starfox 2 do exist though. http://www.lostclassicvgs.com/collections/all
Everdrives I own: ED64, Mega Everdrive, EDGB, EDGG, N8, Master Everdrive

Other Flashcarts: SD2SNES

Offline Juhani1982

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2014, 12:56 PM »
I can confirm Metroid Super Zero Mission works on Super Everdrive, i have tried it.

Offline kwakzalf

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2014, 03:34 AM »
I can confirm Metroid Super Zero Mission works on Super Everdrive, i have tried it.

Thanks a lot for confirming! I will be getting the Super Everdrive or maybe SD2SNES in the following month.

Offline kwakzalf

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2014, 10:00 PM »
So, I have my Super Everdrive now and I've messed around with it a little. So I thought that, kinda as a follow-up (for other PAL users), I'd share some experiences with rom hacks:
  • Most hacks and translations seem to work just fine, as long as the roms are patched correctly. Check if the patch requires a headered or an unheadered rom! Sometimes the readme doesn't state whether you need a headered or an unheadered rom, start from an unheadered rom, copy it, add a header to one of them and patch both. One of the two roms should work (always worked for me). I tend to add the headers myself using a HEX editor, although SNESTool can be used also.
  • "THIS GAME PAK IS NOT DESIGNED FOR USE ON YOUR SUPER FAMICOM / SUPER NES"-message: This message means your rom is region protected, and you're playing an NTSC rom on a PAL system or vice versa. Use SNESTool to fix this region protection. Some rom hacks, like most Super Metroid hacks use the US/JP rom. Use SNESTool to fix the region protection before applying the patch and it will run fine.
Using these methods, all rom hacks and translations I have tried (40+), work perfectly. I mainly bought my Super Everdrive to play those games on real hardware and I can say that for this, it really is perfect. A big THANK YOU to Krik, for making such an awesome piece of hardware.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 05:21 PM by kwakzalf »

Offline RockeyDA

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2014, 01:24 AM »
I just got my super everdrive today, but i have had a MegaDrive Everdrive for almost a year and 99% of my rom hacks work in it. i ran into a few roms that were made for a specific emulator that had problems. funny thing is if i put the flash cart in a knock of console(retron 3... and no its not mine) the working games changed. also the sega 32x affects what roms and rom hacks i can play. there always some that start and some that stop depending on the hard were. ps, i dont like knock off hardware but it is kinda fun testing how they affect games. pss i just got my everdrive, im testing it, havent even carved a cart case for it yet, since i made my snes a wooden shell im making my everdrive a wooden shell.

Offline Fmamarksman

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2014, 07:28 AM »
Good wood m8
"Father of the four winds fill my sails, cross the sea of years. With no provision, but an open face along the straits of fear."

Offline Muro

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2019, 07:02 PM »
HI, I borrow a Super Everdrive from my friend and I put the SD inside of Everdrive and put it into the SNES, and it's not functional. I download the SNES ROMs save them on the SD card and the same procedure put in the Everdrive and cant load the games. Is it possible that I save 3-4 games on the SD card or I need to save only one game per time? 
« Last Edit: October 27, 2019, 08:27 PM by Muro »