Author Topic: Dreamcast - GDEMU  (Read 153762 times)

Offline reprep

• View Profile
Re: Dreamcast - GDEMU
« Reply #45 on: August 16, 2014, 10:38 PM »
If anyone has any info about USB-GD ROM Controller, share with us please.
PM me if you want to sell your Everdrive MD.

Offline ZeroWing

• Pump up the Jams
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 16, 2014, 11:11 PM »
I did finally get a hold of MNEMO this morning and I have a unit ordered, it should ship out next week. The only tidbit of info that I can add that isn't already on his website, is that it can be installed into any Dreamcast.
Mega Everdrive v1> EDN8 fami> ED64 v3> sd2snes > Flash2Advance

Offline Mattroid

• Deluxe Edition
  • So many games, too little time
    • View Profile
    • Arcade Crusade
« Reply #47 on: August 17, 2014, 12:26 AM »
I did finally get a hold of MNEMO this morning and I have a unit ordered, it should ship out next week. The only tidbit of info that I can add that isn't already on his website, is that it can be installed into any Dreamcast.
That is definitely excellent news. People have been trying to get a hold of him to purchase one for a while now, I wonder what the odds are that he actually has any left? The quantity on the site has yet to change.

I guess a question for those that have bought the 3DO version would be if MNEMO seems to keep better stock than GDEMU? I mean, how often does he run out and then how quickly does he get more? Are we talking weeks, months, years even? I'd like to get one of these, but will be more interested if the first reviews come back solid (I'm looking at you, ZeroWing ;))

Edit: Just verified that my DC is not a VA1 model, so I guess GDEMU is out for me unless I try to find one, which probably isn't worthwhile.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 12:33 AM by Mattroid »
2600-Harmony Encore; NES-PowerPak, EverDrive N8; GB-EverDrive GB v1; SNES-Super ED v1, SD2SNES; GEN-Mega ED v1; N64-ED64 v2; NGPC-Bung 32Mb, NeoFlashMasta, NeoFlashMasta USB, NGP SD; GBA-EZ-Flash II 256Mb, EZ-Flash IV Redux, ED GBA X5; NDS-R4

Offline Tux

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 17, 2014, 01:48 AM »
Edit: Just verified that my DC is not a VA1 model, so I guess GDEMU is out for me unless I try to find one, which probably isn't worthwhile.

All Dreamcasts I've ever seen are VA1, including the both I have. It should be easy to get one.

Offline Mattroid

• Deluxe Edition
    • View Profile
    • Arcade Crusade
« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2014, 07:20 PM »
Please post back with your impressions, if you would. I'll be much more inclined to order one of these (if any are left - the how to buy page seems to be broken now) after hearing from someone here. I'm interested in both the functionality as well as the physical hardware (as I mentioned in a previous post above).
All Dreamcasts I've ever seen are VA1, including the both I have. It should be easy to get one.
Yeah, I'm sure I could. Not sure I want to bother though if this new solution will work with mine. Never hurts to have a backup system, though.
2600-Harmony Encore; NES-PowerPak, EverDrive N8; GB-EverDrive GB v1; SNES-Super ED v1, SD2SNES; GEN-Mega ED v1; N64-ED64 v2; NGPC-Bung 32Mb, NeoFlashMasta, NeoFlashMasta USB, NGP SD; GBA-EZ-Flash II 256Mb, EZ-Flash IV Redux, ED GBA X5; NDS-R4

Offline ZeroWing

• Pump up the Jams
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2014, 07:47 PM »
Please post back with your impressions, if you would. I'll be much more inclined to order one of these (if any are left - the how to buy page seems to be broken now) after hearing from someone here. I'm interested in both the functionality as well as the physical hardware (as I mentioned in a previous post above).

I do not even have a shipping notification yet, however, others at assembler games have reported theirs to already be in us customs. However, I do have some thoughts on comparing USB controller to GDEMU, based on info on the 2 web pages and videos posted.  First being there is a new picture posted on the details page for usb controller. It shows the unit installed into the metal casing that holds the pcb for the gdrom drive, this ensures a secure installation. I know that somebody here reported that their gdemu felt more like a prototype and wasn't secured properly. Second, for gdemu you must make a folder numbered 01-40 on the root of your SD card, and then rename your gdi images to "disc.gdi" and place them individually into the folders, this means that on top of the 32 gb limitation, there is also a 40 game limitation. From the videos of usb controller, that doesn't look to be the case. Third, I am fairly certain that usb controller does not support disc swapping, while gdemu does. This means you cannot use things like codebreaker or gameshark, and when a game asks you to swap discs you need to save, return to menu and boot the proper disc. I am not certain on that, but I will ask when I get my tracking number. Fourth would be that usb controller does not yet support .cdi, but someone at assembler games reported they asked him and he said he was working on implementing the container. Fifth, updating firmware. Just look at the updating the firmware section on the gdemu page, looks like a pain compared to simply selecting a .bin and running it, which is how you update usb controller. I think either gdemu or usb controller would be great to own, grab which ever you can.

Offline DBloke

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2014, 09:33 PM »
So what one would you say is the best to go for?
I really dont want to have a load of folders not named what game they are as its going to be for my games nights and some (read A LOT) of people are idiotic when it comes to such things
TNOG.ORG - Games nights in Manchester - https://www.youtube.com/user/Darkprinny

Offline ZeroWing

• Pump up the Jams
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 20, 2014, 09:53 PM »
I really dont want to have a load of folders not named what game they are as its going to be for my games nights and some (read A LOT) of people are idiotic when it comes to such things

If that's the case I would go for the usb gdrom controller with easy to use menu. My vote is for the usb device, but the disc swap issue (if there is one) is kind of a bummer. Plus Mnemo hints at the top of his page that he is going to start mass production. Unlike Duenan who says he is more interested in other projects.

Offline Mattroid

• Deluxe Edition
    • View Profile
    • Arcade Crusade
« Reply #53 on: August 20, 2014, 09:55 PM »
Hopefully someone who has/will have both can chime in later on to give a good in depth review of both. But from the sound of it, it seems like this USB solution is the better of the two. If ZeroWing's disc swapping concern is correct, that's still a minor hassle to me as I can't think of many multi disc games that I'd care to play so frequently that that would be bothersome. Hell, even if it cannot play them at all right now for some odd reason, that wouldn't turn me off picking one up.

Right now, my major sticking point is if there's enough room to house it inside the DC completely, along with a reasonable size HDD. If not, that won't keep me from getting one, I don't think, but I might put it off for a while and see if another solution comes around or to watch how/where the GDEMU goes with a little more time. I'm not opposed to an external solution, but would much prefer something built in completely, or something that rests just inside the disc door.

In reality, I'm trying to find any excuse I can just to NOT pick one up...I mean, I really really want one and have for a long time...but I also really really don't need to spend the cash on something like that right now!  :P

Offline MockyLock

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 20, 2014, 10:05 PM »
Something i would like to add... Mnemo is kinda impossible to join. So it becomes difficult to order one of his product.
I'm waiting for him to answer me...

Offline ZeroWing

• Pump up the Jams
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 20, 2014, 10:06 PM »
Codebreaker and Bleem are what I would like disc swapping for. Codebreaker is the only way to get some games to play in vga mode, and is still used to get some games online.

Offline Mattroid

• Deluxe Edition
    • View Profile
    • Arcade Crusade
« Reply #56 on: August 20, 2014, 10:09 PM »
Codebreaker and Bleem are what I would like disc swapping for. Codebreaker is the only way to get some games to play in vga mode, and is still used to get some games online.
Yeah - I don't do any of that...yet ;)

Offline DBloke

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 21, 2014, 01:46 AM »

If that's the case I would go for the usb gdrom controller with easy to use menu. My vote is for the usb device, but the disc swap issue (if there is one) is kind of a bummer. Plus Mnemo hints at the top of his page that he is going to start mass production. Unlike Duenan who says he is more interested in other projects.

So what games use the disc swap?
Shenmue? That is not a problem as I have both, only other game id be interested in is Skys of Arcadia (damn it why no bloody modern console download)
TNOG.ORG - Games nights in Manchester - https://www.youtube.com/user/Darkprinny

Offline ZeroWing

• Pump up the Jams
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 21, 2014, 02:06 AM »

So what games use the disc swap?
Shenmue? That is not a problem as I have both, only other game id be interested in is Skys of Arcadia (damn it why no bloody modern console download)

Just off the top of my head: Resident Evil 2, Resident Evil Code Veronica, Alone in the dark, Shenmue II, Grandia 2, D2. I'm pretty sure most of the games allow you to save before they request a disc swap so it isn't much of a problem for retail games.

Offline ZeroWing

• Pump up the Jams
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 22, 2014, 12:49 AM »
Looks like there might be some gdemu available soon http://gdemu.wordpress.com/2014/08/21/any-color-you-like/