Author Topic: Dreamcast - GDEMU  (Read 153766 times)

Offline Tux

• View Profile
Re: Dreamcast - GDEMU
« Reply #60 on: August 22, 2014, 02:34 AM »
Edit: Just verified that my DC is not a VA1 model, so I guess GDEMU is out for me unless I try to find one, which probably isn't worthwhile.

Have you double checked with the guy if his adapter works for all versions? I'm asking because it looks like the difference in the units are in the conector AND in the pinage.

Second, for gdemu you must make a folder numbered 01-40 on the root of your SD card, and then rename your gdi images to "disc.gdi" and place them individually into the folders, this means that on top of the 32 gb limitation, there is also a 40 game limitation. From the videos of usb controller, that doesn't look to be the case

Although these limits are not really disappointing, the fact of being able to have all dumpcast library in a single USB HD in USB Controller looks REALLY cool.

Fifth, updating firmware. Just look at the updating the firmware section on the gdemu page, looks like a pain compared to simply selecting a .bin and running it, which is how you update usb controller. I think either gdemu or usb controller would be great to own, grab which ever you can.

Upgrading GDEMU is simple enough: put a file in the right place, "lock" the card, turn on, wait until it finishes and you are done. It will try to update when the card is locked, so just put the switch back and you are ready to go.

Quote from: ZeroWing
I know that somebody here reported that their gdemu felt more like a prototype and wasn't secured properly.

That's correct for the first versions without the screw, but I know nothing about the newest.

I have ordered one of this: http://www.dx.com/p/gps-sd-sdhc-card-reader-extension-cable-white-black-blue-48cm-218278 to bypass this problem, but it hasn't arrived yet...

Codebreaker and Bleem are what I would like disc swapping for.

The cracked retail Bleemcasts do not work... AFAIK this is the only incompatibility of GDEMU.

Just off the top of my head: Resident Evil 2, Resident Evil Code Veronica, Alone in the dark, Shenmue II, Grandia 2, D2. I'm pretty sure most of the games allow you to save before they request a disc swap so it isn't much of a problem for retail games.

I think the only Dreamcast game that does not allow saves between disc swap is D2. People that play imports also have problems with this.

RE2, RECV, Shenmue, Grandia 2, Skies of Arcadia, Headhunter: all of them allow saving in disk swap.

Offline ZeroWing

• Pump up the Jams
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 22, 2014, 03:19 AM »
Edit: Just verified that my DC is not a VA1 model, so I guess GDEMU is out for me unless I try to find one, which probably isn't worthwhile.

Have you double checked with the guy if his adapter works for all versions? I'm asking because it looks like the difference in the units are in the conector AND in the pinage

Someone at AG brought up a good point. VA2 models don't even have the port on the mobo that you would plug this into, so obviously you cannot install into any dreamcast. When I was sorting payment on ICQ I asked "Can this be installed into any dreamcast?" his response was "of course". I'm not sure if he doesn't realize va2 models don't have the port on the mobo, or maybe he thought I was referring to region. If I had known about the va2 models I would have dug a little deeper. I suppose I should have been more specific in my question. I do plan on trying to verify, but the guy is swamped with requests, and I can't get much out of him other than my pcb will be shipped tomorrow. Regardless, I am kind of iffy about installing this into my va0. I suppose I should start searching for a va1, but I was trying to avoid adding to my already growing mountain of consoles- 5 x NES, 4 x PS1, 4 x Genesis, 2 x Gamecube, 2 x PS2, etc... 
Mega Everdrive v1> EDN8 fami> ED64 v3> sd2snes > Flash2Advance

Offline butfluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 22, 2014, 05:14 AM »
surely the usb controller guy can add disc swap support for a future firmware update. i mean the lack of disc swap function is the only real drawback for this gd usb controller. every dreamcast game stored on one hd. that has to be as good as it gets.
 is there any reason that the guy would not be able to add disc swap support in the future?

Offline DBloke

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 22, 2014, 02:53 PM »
Im going to have to find out what Dreamcast I have before buying.

Dont think a disc swap thing can be done as usually when the drive door is opened it returns to main menu, but some games lock on the disc swap screen
TNOG.ORG - Games nights in Manchester - https://www.youtube.com/user/Darkprinny

Offline ZeroWing

• Pump up the Jams
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 22, 2014, 03:08 PM »
Im going to have to find out what Dreamcast I have before buying.

Dont think a disc swap thing can be done as usually when the drive door is opened it returns to main menu, but some games lock on the disc swap screen

The sensor that detects whether the drive door is open is on the Gdrom drive pcb, which is removed before installing. I am hoping that some sort of disc swap feature can be implemented though. Maybe a button combination to bring an ingame menu like mega everdrive, although I think that would be difficult.

Offline butfluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 22, 2014, 06:15 PM »
i think i must be missing something and probably have not researched these products enough but how come gdemu can support disc swap and gd usb controller can't when they essentially are both doing the same thing?
 i thought the only difference between the two products was that gdemu used sd card which has file and size limitations and that gd usb controller used usb devices so size and file limitations would not be an issue. it also seems the usb controller is more user friendly.

Offline ZeroWing

• Pump up the Jams
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 22, 2014, 06:28 PM »
i think i must be missing something and probably have not researched these products enough but how come gdemu can support disc swap and gd usb controller can't when they essentially are both doing the same thing?
 i thought the only difference between the two products was that gdemu used sd card which has file and size limitations and that gd usb controller used usb devices so size and file limitations would not be an issue. it also seems the usb controller is more user friendly.

With gdemu for disc swap you can simply swap the sd card and then confirm with the game that you swapped discs, or you can push the button on the pcb to the appropriate disc and then confirm with the game. There is no button on usbgd to select the appropriate disc. You need to return to the menu to load the proper gdi, and doing that would reset your game.

Offline TeamShake

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 22, 2014, 06:28 PM »

There are currently some other differences like the usb device doesn't support CDI rips at the moment (but someone said he is going to add that).  MNEMO really hasn't released much information about his device, so until people start getting them, we probably wont know all the differences.

Offline butfluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 22, 2014, 11:26 PM »
thanks for clearing that up. seems gdemu could be a better investment due to the disc swap thing. the disc swap thing is cool for more than just multi disc games theres codebreaker and other types of cool discs which have been previously mentioned here.
 hopefully gdemu will become more user friendly in time, i don;t like the idea of naming those folders and gdi's a certain way, can't figure out why it has to be that way. maybe that Mnemo guy will figure out some way to make disc swapping possible.

Offline ZeroWing

• Pump up the Jams
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 23, 2014, 12:34 AM »
maybe that Mnemo guy will figure out some way to make disc swapping possible.
Maybe a  physical swap like swapping sd cards, If there was an option to automatically boot a game, like say a single gdi image on a flashdrive, then we could just swap like gdemu. I'm guessing the reason you can swap SD cards with gdemu is beacause it auto loads the game in folder 01.

Offline goombakid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 23, 2014, 06:37 AM »
IDE Alternative...dunno how well it'll work, though.

http://goo.gl/I9uFBn

http://goo.gl/lmoFs6

http://goo.gl/PfAFNJ

Offline DBloke

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 23, 2014, 11:25 AM »
The idea of having loads of 1 gig SD cards with games and labels on them in a folder brings a smile to my face.

Not that practical but a fun idea

All I need now is some kind of massive memory card that can hold all game saves, those 4-1s are annoying with there pages
TNOG.ORG - Games nights in Manchester - https://www.youtube.com/user/Darkprinny

Offline keropi

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 23, 2014, 12:46 PM »

Offline butfluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 23, 2014, 04:17 PM »
i also wonder if it's possible for multi disc games without save option before the swap, d2 for example. if there is a way to rip all the game files and rebuild one big gdi out of it. maybe that way at the point of swap you just hit ok at the swap promp screen and the dreamcast reads the information which it needs from the next disc straight from the gdi.
 i don't know if the above idea is possible and maybe the gd usb controller would need support for larger sized images in gdi format.
 hopefully d2 is the only game which don't have the save option before swap, unfortunately it's one of the games i would love to play with the full gdi images, i have a version ripped to 5 dvdrs on 99 minute cdrs which is ok but i bit of a pain.

Offline Tux

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 23, 2014, 07:39 PM »
if you look here: http://www.assemblergames.com/forums/showthread.php?39733-quot-Let-s-make-GD-ROM-emulation-happen-quot-Facebook-group/page70
neuroacid made a menu system for GDEMU  :)

You cannot select the games through the menu, it only shows which GD is already selected.