Author Topic: Dreamcast - GDEMU  (Read 141658 times)

Offline butfluffy

• View Profile
Re: Dreamcast - GDEMU
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2014, 05:07 PM »
From the website:

- Region free (You can launch any GDI images at your console)

yeah it does state that on the website. don't know how i missed it lol. sounds great tbh, i would really like one.

Offline Tux

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2014, 07:09 PM »
i don't mind having the usb port out the back. just wondering if the region problems are still a problem like with the other adapter.
 does anyone know if a hard modded region free dreamcast would allow booting of all region gdi images?

In GDEMU you just need to put a region unlocker disk (CodeBreaker, GameShark, DC-X, Utopia, Dreamshell, and those are only the ones I know), boot it, switch to your game image and you are ready to go.

I've been using Gameshark + VGA-Box without problems so far.

Offline magnus87

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2014, 07:35 PM »
Excelent News

Maybe someday we´ll have a Jaguar CDEMU   ;)

Offline butfluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2014, 08:57 PM »
i don't mind having the usb port out the back. just wondering if the region problems are still a problem like with the other adapter.
 does anyone know if a hard modded region free dreamcast would allow booting of all region gdi images?

In GDEMU you just need to put a region unlocker disk (CodeBreaker, GameShark, DC-X, Utopia, Dreamshell, and those are only the ones I know), boot it, switch to your game image and you are ready to go.

I've been using Gameshark + VGA-Box without problems so far.

that sounds simple enough. i didn't realize you would be able to boot from a iso of a region unlocker and then switch another iso like you can cd swap with the optical gd drive. i figured once an iso was loaded there would be no way to access the menu to swap. thinking about it though the designer would need to have included the iso swap possibility to be able to play multi disk games like D2.

Excelent News

Maybe someday we´ll have a Jaguar CDEMU   ;)

apparently the way the jaguar has access to the jag cd addon is simple and a jag cd emu would be easy to make for someone with the know how. a flashcart for jaguar could be used to boot isos. it's just a shame the console didn't do that well commercially and there is not a massive user base like sega, nintendo consoles. maybe if we are lucky we will get something awesome for our jags in the future.

Offline KalessinDB

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2014, 03:28 PM »
USB-GDROM Controller better than GDEMU.
http://renovation-3do.narod.ru/USB-GDROM_Controller.htm

DAMN YOU, Mnemo!

I already have a GDEMU, but I also have your 3do USB adapter so I want to buy this one too!

... I can probably flip the GDEMU easy enough.
Attempting a complete NTSC-U NES set.  Sell me your games!
What I've Got.  253/677 licensed games, 39/95 unlicensed games (drawing # from NA's "semi-official" list

Offline fille1976

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2014, 03:46 PM »
2 weeks ago i received my atari jag cd,but to be honest,with maybe 12 games on the system,its maybe why there is nothing for it.
also the atari jaguar have not a big library,and there are good games on,but the library is to small.
its not like nes-snes-sms-megadrive,they have a huge library.

Offline Mattroid

• Deluxe Edition
  • So many games, too little time
    • View Profile
    • Arcade Crusade
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2014, 04:20 PM »
What are the differences, how is this better, exactly? Are there any limitations to it like the GDEMU (boot loader required, VA-1 models only, etc)? I don't care much for having to have a flash drive stick out the back, but I'm also not really opposed to it, either.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 04:40 PM by Mattroid »
2600-Harmony Encore; NES-PowerPak, EverDrive N8; GB-EverDrive GB v1; SNES-Super ED v1, SD2SNES; GEN-Mega ED v1; N64-ED64 v2; NGPC-Bung 32Mb, NeoFlashMasta, NeoFlashMasta USB, NGP SD; GBA-EZ-Flash II 256Mb, EZ-Flash IV Redux, ED GBA X5; NDS-R4

Offline DBloke

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2014, 04:53 PM »
Suppose one alt for not having something sticking out the back is to use an exention cable and feed it back inside.

Was looking into the 3DO one, as per usual price puts me off.
TNOG.ORG - Games nights in Manchester - https://www.youtube.com/user/Darkprinny

Offline Mattroid

• Deluxe Edition
    • View Profile
    • Arcade Crusade
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2014, 05:46 PM »
Suppose one alt for not having something sticking out the back is to use an exention cable and feed it back inside.

Was looking into the 3DO one, as per usual price puts me off.
Price point is definitely a factor, but I'd be more likely to play my DC with one of these than I would my 3DO. I definitely think the DC one is worth it so long as it's easy to use and will play everything I care about with little to no trouble.

I wonder if there's enough room to have the board and port fit completely inside without any need to mod the case? A 1 or 2TB USB HDD isn't terribly expensive and would cover just about all you could want this setup for.

So far the only thing I don't care for from the videos of this thing is the file list showing all file extensions. I assume there's only one file you really need to know about to run each game, so it'd be nice if there's a way to hide necessary file types. That's a minor gripe, though, to be sure. The functionality is the important thing.
2600-Harmony Encore; NES-PowerPak, EverDrive N8; GB-EverDrive GB v1; SNES-Super ED v1, SD2SNES; GEN-Mega ED v1; N64-ED64 v2; NGPC-Bung 32Mb, NeoFlashMasta, NeoFlashMasta USB, NGP SD; GBA-EZ-Flash II 256Mb, EZ-Flash IV Redux, ED GBA X5; NDS-R4

Offline DBloke

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2014, 11:24 PM »
Someone work on a NeoGeo CD one.....................
Bloody loading times

Anyway, I am looking at the pCB for the recently posted one, I dont see who it connects

Offline Paulweeze

• Video Game Connoisseur
  • Music and Games are good for the soul.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2014, 11:31 PM »
What are the differences, how is this better, exactly? Are there any limitations to it like the GDEMU (boot loader required, VA-1 models only, etc)? I don't care much for having to have a flash drive stick out the back, but I'm also not really opposed to it, either.

He probably wont tell you, for he will post this again ::)...

You'll have to ask someone who actually has it or wait for him to post more info on his site before truely making those determinations. Otherwise, go off of the info on the site currently to make a educated guess. I am glad however that there is now more than one option for GD emulation for Dreamcast, my late friend would have loved a device like this for it was his favorite system (and he was a techie).
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 11:34 PM by Paulweeze »
Everdrives I own: ED64, Mega Everdrive, EDGB, EDGG, N8, Master Everdrive

Other Flashcarts: SD2SNES

Offline Mattroid

• Deluxe Edition
    • View Profile
    • Arcade Crusade
« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2014, 08:39 AM »
He probably wont tell you, for he will post this again ::)...
You'll have to ask someone who actually has it or wait for him to post more info on his site before truely making those determinations. Otherwise, go off of the info on the site currently to make a educated guess. I am glad however that there is now more than one option for GD emulation for Dreamcast, my late friend would have loved a device like this for it was his favorite system (and he was a techie).
I don't expect him to respond. Hell, I assume he won't log in again now that he's posted his link. I've read his site of course, and he says he only has 8 but I see many notes of people trying to reach him in order to buy one. I'm not about to blindly send money. My issue is that he doesn't say or show much about it other than it works. That's nice, but it's not enough.

Offline DBloke

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2014, 10:48 AM »
Hes in Russia?
That might be a problem

Damn it, I need something to replace DC discs, I hate having loads of CD-rs in folders at my games nights

Offline KalessinDB

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2014, 01:09 PM »
I have his 3do adapter.  USB vs SD is nice because you can generally find larger/cheaper solutions.  Also, there's a menu which is something people have complained about with GDEMU (but could theoretically be fixed with a firmware update).

That's speculation only as to what makes it "better" based on the youtube vids he posted and knowing his work from the 3do adapter.  I'll say I didn't buy the 3do adapter directly through him, but rather via Stone Age Gamer, because I bought the one that requires heavy soldering, which I am not capable of.  I have however had some email interaction with Mnemo... he speaks english fairly well, so I wouldn't be worried there.
Attempting a complete NTSC-U NES set.  Sell me your games!
What I've Got.  253/677 licensed games, 39/95 unlicensed games (drawing # from NA's "semi-official" list

Offline fille1976

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2014, 01:20 PM »
this usb adapter for 3do,where is it available for fz-1?
on his website is coming soon months now.
lucky for me having a gdemu,all the others that making a device and if its not going mass production,you must have luck to get such thing,everbody wants it.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 01:23 PM by fille1976 »