Author Topic: Bestconsole for EDGB  (Read 42547 times)

Offline Tux

• View Profile
Bestconsole for EDGB
« on: April 09, 2014, 01:46 AM »
So I'm considering buying a EDGB, but I have no Gameboy.

Which one would you recommend?

I was aiming on a GBA-SP because it's the most recent release, and because it also runs GBA games. Would you recommend it?

My questions about GBA-SP:

1) Will EDGB work on it?
2) I'm always worried about internal battery systems because it may wear off after some time... do you think I will have trouble buying an used console?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 01:48 AM by Tux »

Offline Kyle

• Game Genie Guy
    • View Profile
Re: Bestconsole for EDGB
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 02:29 AM »
Get an AGS-101 (brighter screen) system. New SP batteries are available and are easily swapped out.

Offline reprep

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 03:19 AM »
simple answer: Get a AGS-101, you will like it.

or if you can buy an original gameboy advance with its screen changed with a gba ags 101. they are usually called AGB-101 and very comfortable to play.

i also recommend a gameboy clone called GB Boy Colour. it is a gameboy color with backlight. i haven't encountered any game doesn't work on it. they can be had for 30$ shipped on aliexpress.

i also have a front lit gameboy color , it is great for playing on night. though its screen is nowhere to be compared with an actual back light unfortunately.
PM me if you want to sell your Everdrive MD.

Offline Tux

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2014, 03:33 AM »
Thank you for the responses :)

i also recommend a gameboy clone called GB Boy Colour. it is a gameboy color with backlight. i haven't encountered any game doesn't work on it. they can be had for 30$ shipped on aliexpress.

After posting here, I was reading about this clone. It seemed very nice, and too cheap not to buy one :)

Has anyone tested it with EDGB?

Offline Missingno255

• hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2014, 11:06 AM »
Either model of GBA SP hands down. Don't get the shitty original with no back light and looks like a taco.
Owned Everdrives: Everdrive MD, Mega Everdrive, Everdrive N8, Everdrive GB X5, Turbo Everdrive, Super Everdrive, Everdrive GBA

Misc Flashcarts: SD2SNES

Offline reprep

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2014, 11:37 AM »
Thank you for the responses :)

After posting here, I was reading about this clone. It seemed very nice, and too cheap not to buy one :)

Has anyone tested it with EDGB?

i tested it with official gb and gbc cartridges, clone gb and gbc cartridges, multiple xxx-in-1 cartridges and my 64 mb EMS flash card. it worked with all of them so i see no reason for it not to work with EDGB. it is now my number one priority for gb, gbc games. AGS 101 and my AGB 101 are great for gba games but unfortunately the screen is too small for gb,gbc games.

Offline RetroRGB

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2014, 04:13 PM »

I'm sorry, but I disagree.  I bought one of these for testing and the screen aspect ratio is wrong.  When scrolling left to right it's not too bad, but any vertical scrolling looks awful.  Also, the sound is a slightly different pitch than on other Game Boy systems.

I strongly recommend using the AGS-101, or the original GBA that's been modded with an AGS-101 screen (original Nintendo screen, not aftermarket).  You can also find backlit original Game Boy systems that people have modded.  Those are good as well, but only play original Game Boy games, not GBC.  I've been meaning to add a page for Game Boy / Game Boy Color, to provide this exact information.  I'll get to it as soon as I can, but for now, here's GBA info:

http://www.retrorgb.com/gbaversions.html

If you'd like to play games on a TV, the Super Game Boy is excellent for original GB games.  GBC can only be played through the GameCube Game Boy Player...but the output quality of that isn't nearly as good as the Super Game Boy:

http://www.retrorgb.com/gameboyplayer.html

I hope I was able to help a bit.

Offline reprep

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2014, 04:36 PM »
hi, it's great to see you here RetroRGB. i have been following your page for some time.

yes, the aspect ratio is wrong but not too much for my taste. it is horizantally wider and vertically shorter than an original gameboy. also the sound is louder but the pitch is a bit wrong as you pointed out. buttons also have a different feel than an original gameboy. still not being a perfectionist i prefer this over my ags 101 and agb 101 for gb/gbc gaming.

for the backlit original gb systems, as a previous owner of gameboy light, i still think color display is much better even for original gb games. i could never make the contrast button feel at an ideal place for me. background details always seem so much better on gbc and gba. so for gb/gbc gaming gb boy colour and ags 101 are much better than gameboy light for me.

even though only restricted to pokemon games, N64 pokemon stadium is a nice way to play gb/gbc pokemon games on big screen. you get the bonus of super gameboy border for gameboy crystal which you can't get anywhere else. with a rgb modded N64, you get great picture quality. also having extra space for your items and pokemons is great too.

Offline Asaki

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2014, 12:42 AM »
for the backlit original gb systems, as a previous owner of gameboy light, i still think color display is much better even for original gb games. i could never make the contrast button feel at an ideal place for me. background details always seem so much better on gbc and gba.

A biverted LED backlit DMG looks really great. I haven't seen a GB Light, but biverted looks way better than without.

Offline Asaki

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2014, 12:43 AM »
I strongly recommend using the AGS-101, or the original GBA that's been modded with an AGS-101 screen (original Nintendo screen, not aftermarket).

Do you know where they're getting these screens from? I know the ribbon cable is made by hand, but are the screens NOS, or harvested from AGS-101s, or what?

Offline RetroRGB

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2014, 02:37 AM »
Do you know where they're getting these screens from? I know the ribbon cable is made by hand, but are the screens NOS, or harvested from AGS-101s, or what?

They're harvested from AGS-101's. 

Offline MockyLock

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2014, 07:07 AM »
I wonder why butcher a poor AGS-101, became so rare and expensvie, to mod a GBA ?

Offline adimifus

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2014, 08:06 AM »
I wonder why butcher a poor AGS-101, became so rare and expensvie, to mod a GBA ?

I never noticed them being either rare or expensive. I don't see the number of people using them to modify AGB-001's being of concern to the number of AGS-101's that are out there.

I feel that the original GBA is a superior design to the SP. The only downfall is the unlit screen. I plan on modding one with an AGS-101 screen in the near future. I never liked the SP from the day it came out. The only reason I have one at the moment is because of the nice backlit screen. Once I mod an original GBA, I won't have to use it ever again  ;D
Everdrive N8, Everdrive N8 Pro, Game Doctor SF7, SD2SNES rev E1, Everdrive 64 v2, Mega Everdrive Pro, Jaguar SD, PSIO, Satiator
EMS USB 64M, Everdrive GB v1.1, Everdrive GB X7 rev B, Everdrive GBA X5, CycloDS Evolution + M3 GBA Expansion

Offline MockyLock

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2014, 11:45 AM »
AGS-101 are often x3 the price of a standard AGS-001, and i don' t speak about boxed ones...

Offline Asaki

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2014, 01:10 PM »
They're harvested from AGS-101's.

That's sad to hear =( That would explain the price tag, though.

I guess I'll just get a ribbon cable and wait for my 101 to bite the dust.

And yes, I've noticed 101s are more expensive, but every once in a while you can find one from someone who doesn't know the difference...and then just hope that nobody else notices.