Author Topic: Everdrive gb issue.  (Read 21179 times)

Offline n00b

• View Profile
Re: Everdrive gb issue.
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2014, 01:47 AM »
Okay, we will check this out in the next days - stay tuned... :)

1st thought: Your GB Pocket says: DC3V; 0.7W - the second rev. says DC3V; 300mA - so there is already a slight difference regarding the wattage...
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 01:59 AM by n00b »

Offline djpannda

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2014, 04:01 AM »
i have rev 2 also

Offline MockyLock

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2014, 09:57 AM »
I don't know if it's really important in all of your issues, but keep in mind that alkaline battery are 1.5 Volts whereas lithium are 1.2 volts.
Could this very little difference be part of your problems ?

Offline n00b

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2014, 10:09 AM »
But I have tested with "Duracell Ultra Power" (alkaline) and they have 1.5V....

Offline Joybit

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2014, 08:27 PM »
My frontlit GameBoy Pocket is a Rev. 2 with the power LED.  As I said before, no issues so far.  That being said I'm not using cheapo batteries for once, but I plan on setting up a AA battery attachment for it.

Offline n00b

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2014, 10:02 PM »
Someone on /vr/ chimed in with a good tip about types of batteries:

The ED cart draws a lot of current during r/w operations. You need batteries that can sustain the spikes of high load without having their voltage drop into the shitter.

Cheap alkaline AAAs won't cut it and zinc chloride "heavy duty" batteries are even worse. Energizer Titanium batteries can sustain rather high current for alkalines but I'm not sure if it's enough. Duracell Quantum are interesting in that they have a completely flat discharge curve and high capacity, but only at low current. They will tank and perform worse than standard Duracells if you put them under high load.

NiMH batteries on the other hand can deliver far more current than alkalines. You can get an amp out of any decent AAA, and you can just charge them back up after you've run them down. Pic related are what I use in my front lit CGB with an EDGB. EDIT: The pic was of Sanyo Eneloop rechargeable batteries.

Lithium metal batteries can also supply lots of current, but their voltage is over spec for the GB (1.7V) and they're expensive.

Thx for the information - but it is still a mystery to me why one ED GB works perfect and the other one not (same GB Pocket, same batteries, same SD card)... ???
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 03:27 AM by n00b »

Offline n00b

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2014, 10:38 PM »
Update:

I have tested the problematical ED GB with serveral Game Boys (DMGs, Pockets, Colors), several SD cards (2 till 8 GB, low budget and brands) and several batteries and it won't work with any combination in terms of flashing new games (without SD card it works). :( It only works with GBAs and the Super Game Boy.
My other ED GB works with every testetd Game Boy and any handheld instead. So it must be a problem of the ED GB itself...

Krikzz, is there an easy way to fix it with a software update?

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2014, 08:36 PM »
Update:

I have tested the problematical ED GB with serveral Game Boys (DMGs, Pockets, Colors), several SD cards (2 till 8 GB, low budget and brands) and several batteries and it won't work with any combination in terms of flashing new games (without SD card it works). :( It only works with GBAs and the Super Game Boy.
My other ED GB works with every testetd Game Boy and any handheld instead. So it must be a problem of the ED GB itself...

Krikzz, is there an easy way to fix it with a software update?

You can send it to me, it is the only way

Offline Traveller

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2014, 11:26 AM »
My pocket is having similar problems. It seems to work for awhile, and then it looks as though the batteries have been drained, the power light isn't as bright and the contrast goes funny and the games won't load. These were fresh brand batteries, I have just put in some other ones and will see how they go.

I will try the high powered lithium brand batteries too.

Offline xadox

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2014, 08:49 PM »
Same for me with a brand new EDGB v1.2 SN0443 while using Game Boy Pocket (DC3V 300mA).
Using two 1.2V lithium or a power adaptor the contrast is changing a lot. Flashing is not working, instead a reboot is done.
Measuring with a multimeter is showing 1,29V for the lithium ones and 2,6 - 2,89V for the power adaptor.

Using EDGB w/o a MiniSD Card the last flashed game is working in the the Pocket.

While using two fresh Alcaline batteries the EDGB is working also fine with MiniSD card in the Pocket.
Measuring the Alcaline ist showing 1,56V.

Is the problem realy depending on the Volt difference?

Offline Asaki

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2014, 04:18 AM »
1st version Pocket here (no power light), MiC. Everything's been mostly okay, though I did have one attempt where it was flashing a new game, and while erasing, the screen went out...but then it came back and finished writing.

Batteries are NiMH, 1.2v, although upon closer inspection, they are not a matching pair. One is 850 mAh, the other is 700. I'll have to find a matching set and try it some more, though I don't like to flash too often (due to the nature of limited writes).

Offline MockyLock

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2014, 09:10 AM »
I'm definitly not a technician, but if the Everdrive GB has to be a little picky with voltage, it may sound logical that two baterries cause issues (Everdrive will get 2.4 Volts instead of 3 volts).

Offline xadox

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2014, 12:27 PM »
Hmm... So is there a known volt problem? Or do I have a problem with my pocket?

Offline Asaki

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2014, 01:15 PM »
Found a matching pair (both 700 mAh), happened again.

Not a huge problem though, I have lots of other Game Boys.

Offline MockyLock

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2014, 03:32 PM »
For sure people had some issue due to insufficient voltage.
You should try with a power supply to check if your GameBoy is faulty.
I tried my Everdrive GB on GB Color, GB BOY Color (both with alcaline cells), GBA SP (obviously with its own batery).
Never had any problem.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 03:35 PM by MockyLock »