Author Topic: QUESTION: Removal of USB port on SNES Everdrive  (Read 8179 times)

Offline unseenforces

• Stop all the downloading.
    • View Profile
    • Bounty Hunter 4 Hire
QUESTION: Removal of USB port on SNES Everdrive
« on: April 17, 2014, 05:58 AM »
Hey guys,

I'm dremmeling my carts for my SNES, N64 and NES everdrive boards....

I noticed the SNES board comes with a USB port... which is for development. I don't develop so I don't want to cut an extra slot in my cart to accommodate it.

My question is... and if anyone is educated in the matter please respond, if I just drememel off the USB port (I tried heating up the solder in the corners of it but it looks like it's somehow attached to it in another way) will it cause any issues with the board itself? OR is it safe to just remove off the board in one way or another?

Thanks so much for your time!
Audaces Fortuna Juvat

Offline goombakid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: QUESTION: Removal of USB port on SNES Everdrive
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 07:35 AM »
Did you get a Super Everdrive or a SD2SNES? The SD2SNES has the USB port whether you want it or not, but the Super Everdrive has it as an option to add it.

Offline unseenforces

• View Profile
    • Bounty Hunter 4 Hire
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 05:44 PM »
Did you get a Super Everdrive or a SD2SNES? The SD2SNES has the USB port whether you want it or not, but the Super Everdrive has it as an option to add it.

looks like I got the SD2SNES  - purchased from retrogate. I didn't know the USB port would need to be accommodated for in the shell.. I thought well wouldn't hurt to have it. But now I prefer it not be there. Can I just carefully dremel it off the board without effecting the function of the board itself? There are two tiny pins that look like they might be holding it to the board from the other side, I was going to pin-dremel through it then try popping it off.

I also noticed out of the SD2SNES, N8 and N64 boards.. the N64 board appears to be the only board that doesn't have a spring action (for lack of better words) for the SD card slot. The SD card just slides in and sits, but has to be sort of yanked out, you can't press it and have it spring out. Is that right?

Thanks for the help!

Audaces Fortuna Juvat

Offline unseenforces

• View Profile
    • Bounty Hunter 4 Hire
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 05:46 PM »
If you think it's silly to go out of my way to remove the USB --- just say so. Who knows maybe one day I'll want to resell this cart for something newer and if this will bring down the value or something wouldn't be worth it. I just like the top of the cart with a clean look and just the SD Card slot. But I know I seriously will never use the USB port for dev.
Audaces Fortuna Juvat

Offline goombakid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 06:13 PM »
I moved this to the proper sub-forum.

I can't answer for sure what the USB port holds for now, so hopefully ikari_01 can chime in. I left mine in and just accommodated for it with my shell.

If you really want it off, you should really solder it off. Its an SMD, so you should be able to get most of the solder off with just a desoldering braid and some patience. The reason I'd recommend desoldering it as opposed to dremeling it off is that you'd still be able to re-solder that port back on there if and when it's needed. There should be 4 large ground points and 4 or 5 connection points that needs to be desoldered.

Offline unseenforces

• View Profile
    • Bounty Hunter 4 Hire
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 06:22 PM »
I moved this to the proper sub-forum.

I can't answer for sure what the USB port holds for now, so hopefully ikari_01 can chime in. I left mine in and just accommodated for it with my shell.

If you really want it off, you should really solder it off. Its an SMD, so you should be able to get most of the solder off with just a desoldering braid and some patience. The reason I'd recommend desoldering it as opposed to dremeling it off is that you'd still be able to re-solder that port back on there if and when it's needed. There should be 4 large ground points and 4 or 5 connection points that needs to be desoldered.

Thanks for the advice, I tried with a desoldering braid last night for about 10 minutes before I gave up.. I guess I was a little rushed knowing I had three carts to dremel.

I guess if we can just get confirmation that desoldering the 4 ground points and the connection points off and removing the port would it be ok and not cause any issues with the board itself.... that would be the best for me so I can decide whether I can get it off. It sits pretty close to the SD slot and it was hard to get to the 2 ground points on the left side without unwantingly heating up the SD slot... so it's a bit of a pain.

Bah!

Thanks for your help though :)
Audaces Fortuna Juvat

Offline ikari_01

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 06:15 PM »
Removing the USB port will do no harm to the sd2snes. The USB port will mainly be used to upload games for quick testing and maybe a logging interface for snes code. So if you can live without that you'll be fine.
Not sure about warranty issues though... that would call for a statement from krikzz ;)

Offline drhelius

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2014, 08:29 PM »
Removing the USB port will do no harm to the sd2snes. The USB port will mainly be used to upload games for quick testing and maybe a logging interface for snes code. So if you can live without that you'll be fine.
Not sure about warranty issues though... that would call for a statement from krikzz ;)

Hi, I love developing for old consoles. Are you planning the release of this feature anytime soon?
Is it a low enough hanging fruit? ;)

Offline madmax2069

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2014, 08:37 PM »
You should not have to cut out the hole in the case if you dont want to show the USB port (that is if the USB port itself doesnt stick past the case).

It would have been easier to just dig/remove enough plastic from the case so that there is no hole but the USB port will fit snug under the case (did that with my mega everdrive as its USB ports did not stick past the cart case, but in the unlikely event if it did stick past the case I would just have cut the hole for the USB port and be happy with it). Wouldn't that be much easier then removing the USB port entirely.  I would only think that removing it would void the warranty and hurt its overall resale value (if you so choose to sell it).

I cant even believe anyone would even consider doing this even if you dont plan on ever developing with it.

And yes I do believe its silly to remove it from the board by any means.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 08:39 PM by madmax2069 »

Offline relo999

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2014, 01:09 AM »
I think its also silly to remove it. But if you really want, desolder it DON'T cut it out. This way you could add it later, possibly and a lesser change of actually damaging things (except if your a surgeon and never seen a soldering iron)