Author Topic: ED64 v3 in progress  (Read 68388 times)

Offline Paulweeze

• Video Game Connoisseur
  • Music and Games are good for the soul.
    • View Profile
Re: ED64 v3 in progress
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2014, 01:48 AM »
Sounds awsome Krikzz. Keep up the good work! Btw, what would be able to use the extra 64kb of rom memory? Potential homebrew?

It is not extra 64Kb, it means that actual max rom size for v2 is 64Mbyte minus 32Kb (if sram used), or 64Mbyte minus 128Kbyte (if flashram used). Whole 64Mbyte avaialble only for games with used eeprom or wihich have no save meory at all. V3 can use whole 64Mbyte of ROM memory with any type of saves
Gottcha. Do you have a expected release date or is this still in prototype phase?
Everdrives I own: ED64, Mega Everdrive, EDGB, EDGG, N8, Master Everdrive

Other Flashcarts: SD2SNES

Offline The_Atomik_Punk!

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2014, 01:58 AM »
V2 ED 64 seems amongst the best of Krikzz's flash carts, so what are some potential "upgrades" to this version to merit the "significantly more expensive price point"?
Don't expect to some huge advantages over v2.  As i already said, v3 can save without reset and it is the main difference. May be v3 will have rtc, may be hardware NES emulation in fpga, i can't say for sure at this moment. From rational point of view, v2 probably will beat v3, but if you want ultimate solution, and not mind to overpay a bit, then v3 is your choice.

From what it sounds like, it's a much higher quality build, so I assume that means greater reliability/longevity?
I got a lot of engineering skill in last few years, i used all this knowledges during v3 projecting. From physics point of view v3 is more accurate, but it not means that cart will work more years, or something like that. There is nothing realy notable for users.

What exactly does "more accurate flashram implementation" translate to the end-user, Krikzz?

Pretty hard to explain, but i will try. N64 should have access to ROM during the transfer of memory block inside of flashram(bloc writting), but v2 does not have separate RAM chip with separate bus, so, i used tricks with bus monitoring to avoid colisions. Bit ugly, but trick works. One more thing which is not notable for user (:

Thanks for the detailed response, Krikzz, I think I understand better now how the improved flashram implementation may help some games (Majora's Mask comes to mind). No one wants to "overpay" for something (perhaps a poor choice of English words, my friend), but I'd certainly be willing to pay more for an improved V3, as your flash cart workmanship is without equal. I'll wait until you release V3 before deciding whether to buy a V2 or V3 ED64. I wonder if it will merit a "repurchase" for those who already own V2, however. Any idea when you'll release V3?

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2014, 02:01 AM »
It should be ready pretty soon, maybe month, or two

Offline The_Atomik_Punk!

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2014, 02:34 AM »

Sounds great, I look forward to it! Keep up the great work Krikzz.

Offline Link83

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2014, 04:02 AM »
Nice work KRIKzz :) I really appreciate that as your skill and knowledge have improved over the years, you go back to older products and try to improve them in small ways to make them perfect (...Although my wallet doesn't appreciate the upgrades!)

I'm curious, will all Everdrive 64 v3 come with a USB port as standard? Like the difference between Everdrive-MD and Mega Everdrive?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 09:56 AM by Link83 »

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2014, 10:45 AM »
Nice work KRIKzz :) I really appreciate that as your skill and knowledge have improved over the years, you go back to older products and try to improve them in small ways to make them perfect (...Although my wallet doesn't appreciate the upgrades!)

I'm curious, will all Everdrive 64 v3 come with a USB port as standard? Like the difference between Everdrive-MD and Mega Everdrive?
Yes, v3 will be with usb by default

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2014, 11:30 AM »
Sounds awsome Krikzz. Keep up the good work! Btw, what would be able to use the extra 64kb of rom memory? Potential homebrew?

It is not extra 64Kb, it means that actual max rom size for v2 is 64Mbyte minus 32Kb (if sram used), or 64Mbyte minus 128Kbyte (if flashram used). Whole 64Mbyte avaialble only for games with used eeprom or wihich have no save meory at all. V3 can use whole 64Mbyte of ROM memory with any type of saves
Does that mean that 64MB games like Resident Evil 2, Conker's Bad Fur Day and Pokemon Stadium 2 (Kin Gin) doesn't work properly with v2 assuming they are using non-eeprom saving? Is this related to the fact that, that Pokemon Stadium game have graphical glitches on v2?

Offline saturnu

• ヽ(^o^)丿
    • View Profile
    • :D
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2014, 11:45 AM »
if you look what's going on in this roms at the end of the file, you will see that the space isn't exhausted at all. ^^
just some filling bytes to round it up, 'cause they are dupmed from an original chip that has a fixed size. ^^

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2014, 02:37 PM »
if you look what's going on in this roms at the end of the file, you will see that the space isn't exhausted at all. ^^
just some filling bytes to round it up, 'cause they are dupmed from an original chip that has a fixed size. ^^
Right, fortunately all those games does not use last few tens Kbytes of ROM memory

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2014, 02:58 PM »
This is really interesting, I didn't think you'd even started work on the V3 yet. Will the v3 still save to SD card as well as to it's battery powered in-built ram?

I have to admit, I'm having a hard time thinking what else could be added to v3, since v2 does just about everything that's possible - everything else is either software based (such as cheat support) or impossible on an N64 flash-cart (snapshot saving, HDMI support, controller pak redirecting to save ram/SD card, etc).

You really are a marvel - you mention it for the first time about a month back, and now it's probably going to be available within a couple of months! How do you find time to sleep?

Makes me think that I'd get more done if I was an insomniac  :)

Then again, my job's so boring, just thinking about it makes me sleepy!

Thanks for the detailed response, Krikzz, I think I understand better now how the improved flashram implementation may help some games (Majora's Mask comes to mind).

What's wrong with Majora's Mask on the v2 ED64? I thought it was fully compatible?

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2014, 04:50 PM »
All fine with Majora's Mask, probably somebody forgot to push reset and decide that saves does not work properly, or may be just not uderstand how exactly works Majora's checkpoint system

Offline Troyus

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2014, 05:14 PM »
And he does this while living in a fkn war zone lol
Flash carts: game gear ED, megadrive ED, SNES ED, nintendo64 ED, N8 ED, GB ED, GBA ED, PSIO

Offline The_Atomik_Punk!

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2014, 05:41 PM »
All fine with Majora's Mask, probably somebody forgot to push reset and decide that saves does not work properly, or may be just not uderstand how exactly works Majora's checkpoint system

Good to know, I was reading a thread on this forum where someone was getting confused about the saving system with Majora's mask. If they no longer have to press RESET with V3, maybe the game's checkpoint system would be less confusing to some people. Sorry if it sounded like I was implying V2 ED64 doesn't work with Majora's Mask, what I meant is it may improve the user experience by making it easier, or less error-prone to save. Please ignore my original comment, as I don't own an ED64 (yet!) and was basing this solely off of a discussion on this forum.

Offline magnus87

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2014, 06:55 PM »
Im so happy but this version doesn't support to dump saved data from owns cartridges

Offline goombakid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2014, 07:16 PM »
Do you have a price point set for v3? I'm still happy with my v1, but I could always use the upgrade ;).