Author Topic: Everdrive GB in GBA cartridge sized shell?  (Read 7649 times)

Offline pelago

• View Profile
Everdrive GB in GBA cartridge sized shell?
« on: June 09, 2014, 12:53 PM »
I'm very interested in the Everdrive GB. Looking at the circuit board I can see that this is not currently possible, but do you think a future version might ever be able to shrink down to fit into a shell the size of a standard GBA cartridge? To be clear, I still mean that it is a GB/GBC flash cart, but that for people who would prefer to play GB/GBC games on a GBA, the flash cart wouldn't be sticking out the slot too much.

Offline nuu

• View Profile
Re: Everdrive GB in GBA cartridge sized shell?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 01:16 PM »
You mean you want to have the whole board redesigned, which would make it loose compatibility with all normal Gameboys and probably drive up the price, just so that it doesn't stick out when played in a GBA? Technically not impossible but it isn't reasonable.

Offline pelago

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2014, 01:47 PM »
Theoretically, a single new board could be made that would fit into both a GBA cartridge sized shell, and a GB cartridge sized shell, so it needn't be incompatible with GB/GBC.

I'm not demanding that this be done. I'm just saying that if in the future, when the board goes through a redesign (which happens anyway over time as more components can be miniaturised etc.), that this might be something to consider. It would be an added feature that might generate a few sales if nothing else.

Offline Johnny23b

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2014, 02:56 PM »
That would be unnecessary work for Krikzz... I dont think it makes sense for him.
we should all be happy that he even created a whole bunch of different Everdrives and be thankful that they work very nice!

Offline wilykat

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2014, 07:23 PM »
No reason to do it.  Everdrive does not play GBA ROM anyway and the only reason to do it is if you prefer to use GBA or SP to play EDGB.

It would be nice but I'll wait for actual ED-Advance first if K makes it

Offline tokumaru

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2014, 07:38 PM »
Theoretically, a single new board could be made that would fit into both a GBA cartridge sized shell, and a GB cartridge sized shell, so it needn't be incompatible with GB/GBC.
The problem with redesigning the board like this is that the micro SD slot would have to be moved to the side. Making the micro SD card less accessible would be an undesirable side effect for the little advantage that is having the cart not stick out when used in GBA SPs.

Offline Paulweeze

• Video Game Connoisseur
  • Music and Games are good for the soul.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2014, 07:48 PM »
Many people still use their original gb (with or without backlit mod, same applies to all handhelds), gameboy colors, gb pockets, gb lights, super gameboy 1 and 2, clones, ect. Making the shell smaller in general would not generate more sales because you would be depriving all of them of a flashcart (unless they used a gameshark on the cart which idk if that would damage the EDGB), or Krikzz would have to make a very limited release of GBA sized EDGB due to demand which would not help cost. As for selling 2 shelled versions, the GB and GBA was not like the Nintendo where there is a famicom and NES pcb due to regions (which is why he makes both versions), so he would probably agree with why fix something if it aint broken (the original does the job) and I personally rather see Krikzz make a GBA everdrive if he is going to make something that size anyways (which he has no intentions to do). Krikzz did mention that if the sales of the EDGB were high enough, he would consider making one with RTC support and make it a ram cart instead of flash, but he probably wouldnt take this into consideration (if he does, retrogate would probably sell a modified GB cart and a GBA cart so the customer can decide what they play on more). If any of the GBA flashcarts (EZ Flash IV) can emulate GB games, that is probably your best bet. PS, this is just my opinion, but GBC multicarts have been made in GBA shells so I could imagine it would be possible.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 10:13 PM by Paulweeze »
Everdrives I own: ED64, Mega Everdrive, EDGB, EDGG, N8, Master Everdrive

Other Flashcarts: SD2SNES

Offline Missingno255

• hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2014, 11:14 PM »
Yeah, no.
Owned Everdrives: Everdrive MD, Mega Everdrive, Everdrive N8, Everdrive GB X5, Turbo Everdrive, Super Everdrive, Everdrive GBA

Misc Flashcarts: SD2SNES

Offline reprep

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2014, 12:20 AM »
nope.
PM me if you want to sell your Everdrive MD.

Offline pelago

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2014, 03:58 PM »
Wow, more dislike for this idea than I thought there would be, although it would be interesting to hear from krikzz himself. Yes, I am grateful for what he has done, and this should not be taken as dissing the Everdrive GB or his work. There could still be a way that this could still have the Micro SD slot on the top with both configuations, with some thought to additional extension circuitry in the GB cartridge-sized shell. But if this isn't something that krikzz is interested in, I won't go on.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 04:06 PM by pelago »

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2014, 04:50 PM »
I understand that it's just a suggestion for a future revision. And if it fits in a DMG shell then compatibility shouldn't be a problem. It's a very specialized suggestion that only few people would want though. I think most people would rather be able to play GB games on DMG, GB Pocket or Super Gameboy. Buying both shells and swapping every time wouldn't be an option.

Offline CoolPrizes

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2014, 02:44 PM »
What's the point? Who cares if it's sticking out. It works. Deal with it.