Author Topic: Reset back to menu (SGB)  (Read 7717 times)

Offline pcfreak324

• View Profile
Reset back to menu (SGB)
« on: May 02, 2014, 04:36 PM »
I'm using ED GB on my Super Game Boy. I'd like to be able to switch between games without the need to press the SNES' power button (my console has an in-game-reset which can be activated by the controller). Unfortunatly, when I reset my console, it automatically reloads the last played game without returning to the menu. Can this be adressed for a future update so that you can access the OS after resetting the console?

By the way, it would be nice if ED GB could have a custom SGB border.

These are my suggestions so far. Otherwise a great product. I'm very pleased.

Offline Kyle

• Game Genie Guy
    • View Profile
Re: Reset back to menu (SGB)
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2014, 07:35 PM »
If you go the Gameboy player route there's a built in eject feature to reset the cart. Not exactly the same but still useful if you intend to play GB color games.

Offline reprep

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2014, 07:47 PM »
what you want is "in-game menu". i don't know if it is possible or not i assume not though as this feature requires fpga if i don't remember wrong.
PM me if you want to sell your Everdrive MD.

Offline pcfreak324

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2014, 09:13 PM »
No I don't want a fancy in-game-menu. I just want ED GB to have the same behaviour as with ED64 and SD2SNES.

Each time I press reset I want ED GB to unload the game rom and to return to the menu. I hope this is technically possible.

Offline reprep

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2014, 09:21 PM »
No I don't want a fancy in-game-menu. I just want ED GB to have the same behaviour as with ED64 and SD2SNES.

Each time I press reset I want ED GB to unload the game rom and to return to the menu. I hope this is technically possible.

it is not possible, because you are just resetting snes not the gameboy hardware. super gameboy doesn't have a reset button, just like the real gameboy. so you have to power off and on to go back to the main menu in gameboy, and just like gameboy you have to do the same with the SNES unless you have an in-game menu which lets you go back to the main rom selection menu.
PM me if you want to sell your Everdrive MD.

Offline brainmegaphone

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2014, 09:56 PM »

Wouldn't the fact that it is a flash card (game written to flash memory) versus a RAM card make this somewhat more challenging?  Unless code was written requiring the card to erase the memory (I.e. write a blank game) each time upon boot up?  So I'm not thinking it is technically impossible so much as technically undesirable.  However if it's an option versus requirement than the user could decide if they wanted a slightly longer load time every time with potential for more writing (and wear/tear) on the flash memory versus leaving last game on card until told otherwise.

People working a game for several days are always going to want to save wear/tear on the card by using last loaded game by default.  Maybe those types are in minority - I don't know.

If the stats are correct that you get 100,000 writes or more on modern flash maybe it doesn't matter... 

Offline pcfreak324

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2014, 11:59 PM »
Thanks for the explanation of the technical backgrounds. I wasn't aware of the fact that ED GB uses only flash memory (thought it uses ram like the other carts).

What are the benefits of additional flash memory when the microSD already contains flash memory? In other words: why aren't games loaded directly from SD card? Is it to reduce the complexity of the PCB?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 12:06 AM by pcfreak324 »

Offline brainmegaphone

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2014, 12:20 AM »
The answer I provided is just a summary of how the technology was explained to me by other board members (you can read my post called "technology behind the carts" in which people kindly responded to my questions...)

I'll defer to those experts to answer your follow ups - because I'm no expert!  :)

Offline Asaki

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2014, 07:44 AM »
I just want ED GB to have the same behaviour as with ED64 and SD2SNES.

EDN8 does it too, I think there's an option to toggle it on or off.

Offline FourTwenty

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2014, 11:11 AM »
I use the Game Boy Player, (GameCube attachment) go to Options by pressing Z button then choose the 'Change Game Pak' option. When the 'Please change Game Paks now.' screen appears, I just press A right after and it acts like a quick power off&on which seems like a reset. I love it!

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2014, 12:06 PM »
EDGB ca not bakc to menu after reset, so, you must switch off your snes