Author Topic: *FIXED* Is support for the Akira fan translation possible?  (Read 8074 times)

Offline Falchion

• View Profile
Forgive my lack of NES ROM saviness, but the Akira translation patch requires expansion of the ROM, so the English text would fit. Whenever I try launching the game I'm greeted with a gray screen. Does anybody know why it doesn't work, and if it would be possible on the N8 at some point? Here's the information that comes up under ROM info:

Also, a link to the translation patch.
http://www.romhacking.net/translations/1725/
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 10:13 AM by Falchion »

Offline jpg

• View Profile
Re: Is support for the Akira fan translation possible?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014, 02:33 PM »
I just downloaded the translation patch and used the ROM "Akira (J) [!].nes" from GoodNES 3.14 (I renamed it to "Akira (J).nes" as per the readme), and it worked on my N8. Even though ROM Expander Pro said there was a MD5 mismatch.

I'd suggest trying it again with another ROM, but if you still end up having problems, I guess I could upload this somewhere.

Offline Falchion

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 07:35 PM »
That's strange, I did the exact same thing. Would you mind uploading your copy in a zip file? I want to see if extracting it straight to the ROM folder will work. Hoping it's not my N8 bugging out...

Offline jpg

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2014, 09:15 PM »
Wasn't sure if you meant the translated ROM, or the ROM which I used the translation patch on, so I've put both in:

http://www69.zippyshare.com/v/15332865/file.html

"Akira (J) [!].nes" is the untranslated ROM and "Akira.nes" is the translated ROM. Let me know if it works OK.

Enjoy!  :)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 09:24 PM by jpg »

Offline Falchion

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2014, 10:28 PM »
Thanks for uploading it! Unfortunately I'm still getting a gray screen when trying to boot it up. I'm using the latest OS version as well, so I'm confused. Hmm...
Under device info, it states the following;

OS ver 9
BIOS ver 4
CPLD ver 1

Am I missing something?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 10:43 PM by Falchion »

Offline jpg

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2014, 11:23 PM »
Hmm, strange.  ???

I'm using an AV Famicom and N8, and my device info is as follows:

OS ver: 9
Bios ver: 5
Cpld ver: 1

I have no idea what's changed between BIOS 4 and 5, but that seems to be the only difference between our carts. Maybe someone with more knowledge can shine some light on the situation?

Other than formatting your SD card, or trying another SD card, I don't know what to say. Sorry I couldn't be more help. :(

Offline Falchion

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2014, 11:41 PM »
You've been nothing but great help, man. I greatly appreciate it! I'll try formatting my SD card to see if that helps. It's just strange because all my other ROMS work, including the translation of Jesus, which also required ROM expansion haha.

I'm using my N8 on an AV modded Famicom myself.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 11:43 PM by Falchion »

Offline jpg

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2014, 02:11 PM »
Out of interest, do any other mapper 33 games work? Actually, does the regular Akira ROM work without the translation patch?

Found a list of mapper 33 games, and here's an example of a few you could try: "Don Doko Don", "Insector X", "Bakusyou Jinsei Gekijyou".

Offline butfluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2014, 03:47 PM »
silly question here but have you got save states enabled? if so maybe akira is one of those games which is incompatible with save state mode.

Offline jpg

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2014, 04:34 PM »
I too wondered that, but enabling save states didn't make the game crash for me. I also tried alternating between OS 9 and 9.1, but still couldn't get it to freeze.

It's still worth checking out, though.

Offline butfluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2014, 06:57 PM »
Worked for me on a my av famicom os v9, bios v4 and cpld ver 1 which is the exact same cart setup as Falchion. Both translated and non translated versions worked fine.

Offline Falchion

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2014, 10:12 AM »
So I decided to reformat my SD card and it worked! I have no clue how that worked, but yeah. Thanks for all your help everyone! It was weird since other mapper 33 games worked just fine prior to reformatting.

Offline butfluffy

• View Profile
Re: *FIXED* Is support for the Akira fan translation possible?
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2014, 03:52 PM »
from memory i think krikzz said that when copying games back and forth from the sd card without reformating causes cluster fragmentation and that can be bad when trying to load roms on flash carts. cluster fragmentation may not have been the term he used but you know what i mean.
 i update all my cards every so often when there is an os update or a few new homebrew, translations or prototype games released. i always reformat the sd cards first and then copy everything back.

Offline SkinnyV

• View Profile
    • dbwbp.com
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2014, 07:39 AM »
I think we had a discussion about Akira before and the header was incorrect. I think I had added a patch in my no intro fix patch pack for those that were unable to fix it themself. Something about the SRAM byte not being enable. I'll look it up but it does ring a bell.

Offline butfluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2014, 04:26 PM »
@SkinnyV - is it possible that their is a similar issue with low g man? it seems to have a lot of serious issues despite the mapper being supported. the issues kicked in just as i was just getting into the game.