Author Topic: Translation: Shindou edition games  (Read 13969 times)

Offline GBM

• View Profile
Translation: Shindou edition games
« on: May 13, 2014, 08:36 PM »
Hi there,

as you all might know Nintendo rereleased some of their N64 classics, such as Mario 64 or Waverace 64, in specific rumble pack versions at the end of the N64's life cycle. Unfortunately they remained Japanese exclusives and due to the VC's missing rumble functions also only for N64.
I've been wondering if it was possible to translate these so called "shindou-editions" into English or any other language and even came across a few discussions regarding this topic.
Apparently there was at least one guy who had managed to translate Waverace 64 but unfortunately the provided download link is already broken: http://www.emutalk.net/threads/47333-Help-in-retexturing-translating-wave-racer-shindou-edition
As for Mario 64 I haven't found anything which would have led to a complete translation but there seem to be a few interesting modding editors for the game. Unfortunately, since a patched file is necessary for modding and only (U)-versions of the game can be patched, I couldn't find a way to make changes to the Japanese shindou edition.
Has anybody got a working translation for one of those games? If not, can anybody provide some working modding tools or hints for doing such a project? I'd really appreciate to play those classics in English and with working rumble pack support. Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 08:38 PM by GBM »

Offline zstandig

• View Profile
Re: Translation: Shindou edition games
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 10:47 PM »
No idea about translations, but I played a good chunk of shindou SM64 and it works fine if you remember enough of the star locations. I don't know the specifics of translating but I see two options. Translating the Japanese versions or importing the force feedback feature into the US and/or EU versions. To play in English would be nice, but to be honest I'm thankful to be able to play them on original hardware at all.

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 10:54 PM »
Super Mario 64 Shindou Edition is like the English version but with rumble and the Japanese script if I'm not wrong (Peach is talking in the intro etc). Maybe it's possible to take the script from the English version and insert it into the Shindou Edition.

Offline GBM

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 11:23 PM »
Super Mario 64 Shindou Edition is like the English version but with rumble and the Japanese script if I'm not wrong (Peach is talking in the intro etc). Maybe it's possible to take the script from the English version and insert it into the Shindou Edition.
Yes , that's what I've already tried to do. Unfortunately, as already stated, the programms I've used, rom extender and M64_textwrangler, only accept (U) roms. Any help appreciated!

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2014, 01:00 PM »
If the text isn't encoded maybe you could extract it manually with a hexeditor.

Offline GBM

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 04:25 PM »
If the text isn't encoded maybe you could extract it manually with a hexeditor.
Any hints on where/how to start? Anybody experienced in language patches?

Offline Cybertronic

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2014, 05:52 PM »
Perhaps it would be possible using a Hex editor and comparing the differences to create a translation hack for at least the in game text and some of the graphics. The Peach Audio might be swapped using the N64 Sound tool. (Although the opening audio isn't a big deal IMO)

http://tcrf.net/Super_Mario_64/Version_Differences

Its something I am going to look into this weekend, but It should be that the Final version of the US Rom is the most similar to the Shindou edition, with the exception of the additional code for the Rumble pack and Language difference. Some of these changes should be copy and paste able over.

I don't think it would be possible to add the "Shindou support" bytes to the US rom, but the Text and Graphics should be insert able from the US version to the Japanese version as long as the offset for the ROM is similar enough for the text and graphic changes to be obvious enough to spot and copy over. (I have been able to do this with some success with the Zelda 64 Roms. (I can even convert Game Shark codes between versions using a formula) This is all of course going on the assumption that the ROMS are nearly identical and use the same exact compression scheme models textures etc, which they should.

EDIT / UPDATE:

I currently have the USA Rom and the Japanese Shindou Rom open and I see quite a few locations where code was inserted (not changed) This must be the rumble pack support. I might be able to insert the rumble code to the USA version and see what happens. (It probably will just not boot or something, but worth a shot.) I will keep you all updated.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 12:01 AM by Cybertronic »

Offline Fmamarksman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2014, 12:31 AM »
Exquisite Cybertronic.
"Father of the four winds fill my sails, cross the sea of years. With no provision, but an open face along the straits of fear."

Offline Cybertronic

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2014, 03:45 AM »
Well, I gave it a shot and got nowhere with it. I am guessing it has something to do with file locations and the ROM header. Adding anything changed from the USA ROM to the JAP ROM gives me a Bad CRC Corrupt ROM error. The Changed files from USA Rom are much smaller so it throws off address locations and adding padding to keep the addresses the same doesn't seem to work.

Copying the new stuff from the JAP ROM to the USA ROM also does not work, but I do not get any error messages and the ROM just gives me a black screen. Sorry guys. Someone just needs to make Text Wrangler tool that works on the Japanese ROM and that's beyond me.

Offline Fmamarksman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2014, 03:58 AM »
No problem. I don't actually own a rumble pak anyways.
"Father of the four winds fill my sails, cross the sea of years. With no provision, but an open face along the straits of fear."

Offline GBM

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2015, 01:02 PM »
Well, I gave it a shot and got nowhere with it. I am guessing it has something to do with file locations and the ROM header. Adding anything changed from the USA ROM to the JAP ROM gives me a Bad CRC Corrupt ROM error. The Changed files from USA Rom are much smaller so it throws off address locations and adding padding to keep the addresses the same doesn't seem to work.
It's been a while since your last post but do you still happen to have those edited files? With the latest ED64 OS it seems to be possible to skip those CRC-Errors with turning off the check in the menus. It might or might not make your modification work on real hardware...

Offline GBM

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2015, 10:37 AM »
Does anybody got any news about this topic? I know it's been some time since the last post but I'd really want to see this happen.

Offline D4v3WTF

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2015, 09:08 AM »
You should try to ask someone from the smwcentral forums.
N64 PAL Games Collection: 204/243
N64 PAL Demo Collection: 1/1
N64 Region Free NTSC Games: 1
Everdrive 64 v2.01 modded UltraCIC II
SD2SNES Rev. F modded Rev. H

Offline Gh0st

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2015, 02:08 AM »
Does anybody got any news about this topic? I know it's been some time since the last post but I'd really want to see this happen.
Seconded. I'd love WR64 with rumble.

Offline nncoolg

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2015, 06:54 AM »
this would be great...
Also, can someone please have a look at this, it would be good to be one step closer to a full, working ROM set :http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=2356.msg24318;topicseen#msg24318