Author Topic: White dots on screen  (Read 13703 times)

Offline evil_ash_xero

• View Profile
White dots on screen
« on: May 16, 2014, 02:22 AM »
I have a very annoying problem with my N8. In fact, I have 2 N8s. One from KRIKzz, and one from Stone Age Gamer. Both have this problem.

It's hit and miss. Sometimes I'll put the cartridge in, start a rom, and everything is fine. But about 1 out of every 5 times, there will be these white dots littering the screen. Sometimes they don't pop up until the game starts, and sometimes they start on the black menu screen, before I choose a rom. If I hold "reset" on the NES 101, the dots will disappear. It's very strange.
I had thought maybe It was a connector issue, and I would pull the cart out, and put it back in. I have found that if I just press reset, that it has the same effect. Like I can have the cart in, the game will have white dots, press reset, and everything is fine. Do it few more times, and then the white dots come back. It doesn't really seem to have much to do with the connectors.

I have not had these problems with a normal NES game.

I have tried two different RGB cables, two different power supplies, and two different CSY-2100s, to make sure there wasn't a problem in the chain.
I've tried different OS, back to version 7, and up to 9.1.

But same problems.

Any idea of what this could be? I have a NTSC NES 101, that has the NESRGB mod. Like I said though, I haven't seen these issues with any of my regular cartridges up to this point. And I have been testing them quite a bit.

UPDATE: Here's a pic.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 04:38 PM by evil_ash_xero »

Offline evil_ash_xero

• View Profile
Re: White dots on screen
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 07:55 AM »
Jason from Game Tech has been working with my EverDrive, and is seeing the same problem, but can't figure it out.

Here's a link to the vid. Any ideas Krikzz?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hv0PaVGeTv8&feature=youtu.be

Offline Kyle

• Game Genie Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 07:03 PM »
Fun story. I have two RGB top loaders done by Jason and get the same thing. Doesn't happen on retail carts. I have a PowerPak and was having similar issues with it. It did it in game and not at the menu. I don't know if it is Krikzz's problem unfortunately. I normally just power cycle until it stops which seems silly given the amount of money I have in this.

Offline magnus87

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2014, 09:31 PM »
I like that background with stars  ;D

Good Luck!

Offline Enzo1960

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2014, 10:36 AM »
Have you checked these EDN8 on a regular (not RGB) NES?
Same problem?

Offline evil_ash_xero

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2014, 12:26 AM »
Yeah, I have a non modded NES, and it does not do this with it.

Fun story. I have two RGB top loaders done by Jason and get the same thing. Doesn't happen on retail carts. I have a PowerPak and was having similar issues with it. It did it in game and not at the menu. I don't know if it is Krikzz's problem unfortunately. I normally just power cycle until it stops which seems silly given the amount of money I have in this.

Two? Which batch of NESRGB did you get? I think we're at the 3rd now. I got mine from the 2nd batch.
And I feel the same way. The top loaders plus the NESRGB..plus the modding...and then the N8s....lots of cash.

And considering the price of so many NES games, a lot of us who are willing to pay for the NESRGB, are also going to be getting flash carts. And to have this issue...it sucks.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 12:33 AM by evil_ash_xero »

Offline Kyle

• Game Genie Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2014, 12:46 AM »
First batch before the ram issues. I had a PowerPak and ordered an ED to see if it would do differently. If I had to wager a guess I'd say it's the power consumption from the flash carts. It sucks hard. Jason cared but he wasn't sure what to do when it doesn't happen on retail games.

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2014, 01:30 AM »
I wonder if RGB modded system still can output normal composite video? Would be interesting to know if dots still visible via regular ppu output. I don't know how rgb mod working, so, i can't say a lot about possible reasons of problem. May be problems with power supply, if voltage regulator inside of nes can not supply enough current for both devices. Or may be problems with timings

Offline Kyle

• Game Genie Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2014, 02:11 AM »
I have a spare RGB system but the value is approx 350 USD and I'd be scared to ship it to Ukraine.

I hooked it up to my PVM via SCART and get the same thing. So it's also not the component converter.

I will say it's better than PowerPak. On it you pick a game then get garbage. At least on ED you know before you pick a game.

Offline bozo55

• View Profile
:(
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2014, 04:48 AM »
Has anyone tried a Genesis Model 1 power supply?  Those pump out 1.2A vs the ~850mA on the NES units.

If it is a power draw issue as others suspect it might be, I wonder if replacing the voltage regulators or main cap in the system for something more robust would help.

I am looking to RGB mod my AV Famicom for S-Video support, but am weary of having this problem myself...

Offline Kyle

• Game Genie Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2014, 04:56 AM »
My NES was recapped. I may try the Genny power supply if I get the nerve.

Offline evil_ash_xero

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2014, 11:19 AM »
That's pretty interesting, about the power supply.

If anyone does get the guts to do that, let us know how it turns out.

At least on ED you know before you pick a game.

Unfortunately, I tend to have a clear menu screen, and then the game starts going wonky in the first stage, after playing it for a while. It's quite aggravating.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 11:41 AM by evil_ash_xero »

Offline Kyle

• Game Genie Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2014, 05:02 PM »
I'll ask Jason if he thinks the Genesis AC is okay. I would feel like a goober if it's not especially when I've killed electronics using the wrong power supply.

Offline evil_ash_xero

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2014, 05:18 PM »
Can you use a Genesis AC, without changing any of the insides of the NES?

Cause I got Genesis ACs all over the place.

Offline Kyle

• Game Genie Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2014, 05:44 PM »
As long as its a model 1 it is supposed to work fine. I haven't tried yet.