Author Topic: White dots on screen  (Read 18070 times)

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: White dots on screen
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2014, 06:03 PM »
Another theory: terminate resistors. Seems like octal buffers on NESRGB does not have built-in terminate resistors, external resistors is not present also. I had a problems with ppu during N8 development, when i tried to use buffers without terminate resistors. But i had another kind of problem, mainly it was notable as IRQ problems

Offline TeamShake

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2014, 07:07 PM »
You can use a genesis 1 power adapter on a nes but not vice versa.  The model 2 supply would be fine also just the tip doesn't fit in the nes.

Offline bozo55

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2014, 03:28 PM »
The model 2 supply would be fine also just the tip doesn't fit in the nes.

Not only is the Model 2 a different size pin, but it is also centre pin positive...  I don't know if that matters since the original NES takes AC input.  I read that DC Adapters work fine.  I do know that the Gen Modell 1 Adapter works fine in my Super Famicom and AV Famicom.  It outputs around 13V unloaded, which is what my NA SNES adapters output.  The Japanese HVC adapters output around 17V  from a 120V outlet, which I believe is dangerously high. 
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 03:30 PM by bozo55 »

Offline TeamShake

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2014, 03:34 PM »
you can use a center pos or neg dc supply as long as its around 9 to 10v.  I have seen where some people have used up to 16v supply and said it works though but that would make the voltage regulator run pretty hot.  The NES comes with an ac supply but converts it to 5V DC inside the system.
I use a generic 9v DC center positive supply on my nes.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 03:50 PM by TeamShake »

Offline bozo55

• View Profile
More bugs being discovered on the NES RGB board.
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2014, 11:07 PM »
V1.6 firmware has just been released to address a bug that was introduced in V1.5 (graphical glitches in SMB2/SMUSA).

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?p=1021564#p1021564

I think I will hold off on this mod until it goes through more validation/testing.

Offline evil_ash_xero

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2014, 11:02 PM »
We're up to 1.7 now.

If anyone who is having this problem has the opportunity to test out 1.7 with the N8, that would be most helpful.

Offline Kyle

• Game Genie Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2014, 02:47 PM »
You should have circled back around!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41HNCD113og

Offline evil_ash_xero

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2014, 09:37 PM »
Jason is seeing this problem with other top loaders now.

I do not think this is specific to my system at all.

I'm thinking most people have front loaders, and that is why we aren't hearing about this more.

Maybe it is power consumption.

Offline Kyle

• Game Genie Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2014, 02:19 AM »
What's fun is I had 4 or 5 toasters and I was going to send him a couple to mod. He said that he strongly recommended the top loaders and sold me them instead. I'm not mad or anything. It's just sucks if this is solely a top loader issue. Maybe he could relocate my mods to toasters.

Offline evil_ash_xero

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2014, 08:57 AM »
I'm asking around on shmups forum. And one guy has a top loader that has no problems.

This is mysterious, isn't it?

But it does seem to happening with top loaders, when it does happen. Specifically the 101.

Offline MockyLock

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2014, 11:13 AM »
I have myself modded 2 NES "toaster", one PAL and one NTSC.
Both works as expected, with no dot or any glitches in the screen.
I think top loader are recommended because of the insertion system of the cartridge, that seems to be more efficient.

Offline adimifus

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2014, 06:07 AM »
I have a top loader/n8/nesrgb and i've never had any issues like this. I am using a Famicom version of the N8. Is there any possibility that would make a difference?
I use a model 1 genesis power adapter, and i removed the 220uF caps ion the NESRGB board itself because the SNES scart cable i use has them in it (I switch it to my snes and n64 to play them). I think those are the only real differences in my setup.
My NESRGB is a first batch board, and hasn't been updated to a newer firmware yet (going to soon-- just got a USB Blaster).
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 06:09 AM by adimifus »
Everdrive N8, Everdrive N8 Pro, Game Doctor SF7, SD2SNES rev E1, Everdrive 64 v2, Jaguar SD, PSIO
EMS USB 64M, Everdrive GB v1.1, Everdrive GB X7 rev B, Everdrive GBA X5, CycloDS Evolution + M3 GBA Expansion

Offline MockyLock

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2014, 09:54 AM »
The very first batch had an issue in the background color, remaining grey for most games. For exemple, Super Mario Bros had this problem.
Did you get this ?

Offline adimifus

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2014, 05:13 PM »
The very first batch had an issue in the background color, remaining grey for most games. For exemple, Super Mario Bros had this problem.
Did you get this ?

Wasn't that the second batch, with the different RAM chip? In any case, the only issue i have with mine is the messed up colors in Orb 3D and Duck Maze. (That i know of)
Super Mario Bros. looks and plays fine. I've never noticed any issues with colors being off in any other games I tried.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 05:18 PM by adimifus »
Everdrive N8, Everdrive N8 Pro, Game Doctor SF7, SD2SNES rev E1, Everdrive 64 v2, Jaguar SD, PSIO
EMS USB 64M, Everdrive GB v1.1, Everdrive GB X7 rev B, Everdrive GBA X5, CycloDS Evolution + M3 GBA Expansion

Offline Kyle

• Game Genie Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2014, 05:42 PM »
Second batch pre-firmware upgrade.