Author Topic: multirom tool update?  (Read 10655 times)

Offline chilled

• View Profile
multirom tool update?
« on: May 30, 2014, 04:20 PM »
So as I was praising here http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?20630-Help-making-multi-game-selection-menu-for-homebrew-ROM&p=661876&viewfull=1#post661876

Krikzz's multirom tool is awesome:
http://krikzz.com/pub/support/index.php?dir=edmd-v3%2Ftools

But it is limited to a 13-in-1 multigame rom (56 mega, which is the limit of the Everdrive, including the menu), because each game take chunks of 512 KB (i e Strider takes two of them) so Columns take one full chunk even if it is only 128 KB.

I realized that the entire Megadrive sub 4 Mega (= 512 KB) catalog (28 games) fits in ONE rom. The same goes for the SegaNet whole catalog (26 x 256 KB games). But due to this limitation, the rom is already full when combining 13 games using this tool.

So could you improve the tool as to take it into account the real rom sizes? Is that possible ?
Also would it be possible to have any kind of menu customization? (image, rom names...)

I think it would spread the awareness of the tool and therefore the everdrive/megaeverdrive itself. It is very convenient to leave one of those big roms loaded and come back to the console and not have to worry about loading times each time you want to swith from one to another.

Also this could be helpful for people wanting to do real cart 32 Mega compilations, like the excellent official Megagames 10. I'm not of those, though.

Thanks in advance for your reply!
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 04:22 PM by chilled »

Offline Kyle

• Game Genie Guy
    • View Profile
Re: multirom tool update?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014, 06:33 PM »
It is very convenient to leave one of those big roms loaded and come back to the console and not have to worry about loading times each time you want to swith from one to another.
I was scratching my head until this line. That is neat. So you load a compilation rom each time and can pick from it without having to load the individual roms? That'd be nice for Super Everdrive.

Offline Paulweeze

• Video Game Connoisseur
  • Music and Games are good for the soul.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2014, 10:15 PM »
Is this basically make-ur-own-multicart in rom form? That is pretty neat. Does it work for the Mega Everdrive as well (even though you could just use the in-game menu)?
Everdrives I own: ED64, Mega Everdrive, EDGB, EDGG, N8, Master Everdrive

Other Flashcarts: SD2SNES

Offline Kyle

• Game Genie Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2014, 10:37 PM »
It would probably work but not be as useful on Mega since it has near instant load times.

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2014, 12:22 PM »
So as I was praising here http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?20630-Help-making-multi-game-selection-menu-for-homebrew-ROM&p=661876&viewfull=1#post661876

Krikzz's multirom tool is awesome:
http://krikzz.com/pub/support/index.php?dir=edmd-v3%2Ftools

But it is limited to a 13-in-1 multigame rom (56 mega, which is the limit of the Everdrive, including the menu), because each game take chunks of 512 KB (i e Strider takes two of them) so Columns take one full chunk even if it is only 128 KB.

I realized that the entire Megadrive sub 4 Mega (= 512 KB) catalog (28 games) fits in ONE rom. The same goes for the SegaNet whole catalog (26 x 256 KB games). But due to this limitation, the rom is already full when combining 13 games using this tool.

So could you improve the tool as to take it into account the real rom sizes? Is that possible ?
Also would it be possible to have any kind of menu customization? (image, rom names...)

I think it would spread the awareness of the tool and therefore the everdrive/megaeverdrive itself. It is very convenient to leave one of those big roms loaded and come back to the console and not have to worry about loading times each time you want to swith from one to another.

Also this could be helpful for people wanting to do real cart 32 Mega compilations, like the excellent official Megagames 10. I'm not of those, though.

Thanks in advance for your reply!

Problem not in tool. Multigame ROM uses extended SSF2 mapper for bank switching, SSF2 bank size 512K, so, i can't use smaller bank size.

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2014, 12:23 PM »
Is this basically make-ur-own-multicart in rom form? That is pretty neat. Does it work for the Mega Everdrive as well (even though you could just use the in-game menu)?
Should work with late versions of OS

Offline reprep

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2014, 06:43 PM »
any chance for a similar tool for everdrive gb? i would like to have a chunk of no save games in one rom. flashing times is long in everdrive gb.
PM me if you want to sell your Everdrive MD.

Offline chilled

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2014, 01:44 AM »
Thanks Krikzz,

so could you make the same tool without the SSF2 mapper, even if it is limited to 4 MB (32 mega, the real limit of the original games) and avoiding this 512 Kb limitation ?

As you can see, this tool has a lot of potential. Turning on my Megadrive WITHOUT the SD card in the everdrive but being able to choose between 13 games is awesome. If I could choose between many more (4 MB is still a lot of space), that would be even more awesome.

Megagames 10 used the menu system (and mapper, I guess) of previous 3 in 1 games collections. It's a 4 MB rom.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 02:05 AM by chilled »

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2014, 12:40 AM »
You can't just run the game from any address, game rom must be mounted in proper address area, it is impossible without mapper.

Offline chilled

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2014, 12:23 PM »
ok thanks!

So could you use a custom mapper based on the Mega Games 10 offical rom ? Or something else ? The ideal setup would be a mapper that adresses each game at 128 KB chunks, just like the SSF2 mapper does the same at 512 KB chunks, ie when a game is 768 KB it takes two and the next game starts at the 1536 KB address, and so on, right ?

Do you consider updating this tool anyway ? I think a lot of people would apreciate and use this tool. As I was saying it is not known among the Megadrive community.

thanks again!

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2014, 06:35 PM »
First of all, any new mappers, or other hardware related things cannot be added to edmd, it is hardware, not software thing.
Mega games 10 used modified games without any mappers, i guess. Probably games was recompiled for work in non zero rom areas.
In other words, you can forget about this idea, this is impossible with edmd. I make 512Kb chunks not because i am not a smart enough, i make big chunks because on hardware level edmd does not have ability to use more small banks. And problem not in tool itself

Offline arcade

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2016, 04:55 PM »
@krikzz
If I would use a SSF2-cart-pcb and mapper-chip as donor, remove the roms and connect an eeprom filled with the file from the multirom-tool, would it play on the console?
Also I'd love to change the background-image, is this possible somehow?

Thanks Igor, all your afford is very much appreciated as always  8)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 09:09 PM by arcade »

Offline arcade

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2016, 09:21 PM »
Sorry to bother, but this gives me headaches  :o

So, I have both a PAL and US SSF2 and they came with different PCBs, the US-version was made by Capcom, the PAL-version by SEGA.

US:

PAL:

I disassembled both and made schematics, all the roms are pin-compatible to any 27C322/160/800/400 Eeproms or 29F1610 etc.
I used all Streets of Rage games and used the multirom.exe to get a 6MB/48Mbit file. I then split the file into 32mbit and 16mbit parts and burned them to Eeproms. I used sockets to connect them to IC1 and IC2 on the SEGA-pcb. Of course the files were byteswapped before they were burned onto the eeproms. Also I checked that an emulator would at least load the menu. check!

I'm not sure if at least two slots need to be populated, but with one 32mbit (27C322) rom in the location of IC1 I get a nice blackscreen.

Any info to get this running would be great. Thanks!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 09:26 PM by arcade »

Offline arcade

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2016, 12:50 AM »
one step closer - I did not think about pin32 (A20) on the 27C322, which is /BYTE on the SOP-44 chips. I hooked up A20 to pin47 of the mapper-ic and the menu showed up.
still, even with the mapper present, it will jump back to the menu upon game-selection :(

Then I realised I was using the sega pcb with the 315-5709, so there are all the high address lines for 32mbit-roms not connected. I switched to a 27C160 but the menu keeps coming back when I select a game :(

Krikkz, when I create a rom-image with your multirom.exe, is it just not compatible with the 315-5709 or 315-5779 mapper-ic?
As far as I understand it should be the very same as SSF2 works, right?

I'm refering to these infos:
http://emu-docs.org/Genesis/ssf2.txt
http://www.db-elec.com/home/technical-info/Genesis/sram-mapping-and-carts-larger-than-32mbit