Author Topic: SD2SNES, Super Everdrive v1 & Super Everdrive v2 diferences  (Read 24877 times)

Offline ot4ku

• View Profile
Hello,
sorry to ask maybe a stupid question, but i cant find the SD2SNES on the "product" page.
http://krikzz.com/index.php?route=common/home

So why would i need the SD2SNES version compared to the Super Everdrive v2 (maybe someone can explain the difference to v1 to). I read on the web the SD2SNES can also play games that need a special chip, but what does that mean?
Like the FX chip? so i cant run roms that use the FX chip on the normal Super Everdrive v2?
Or is this mor elike a homebrew thing with custom hack roms?

Thanks for explaining in advance!

Offline strider1911

• View Profile
Re: SD2SNES, Super Everdrive v1 & Super Everdrive v2 diferences
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2014, 09:12 PM »
Someone should make a sticky thread about this because this question is always being asked, here is what I know:

V1 = First model, can't get it anymore and there is no reason you should try. The card supports NO Enhancement Chips BUT DSP1*. You need to install this chip and some other components from a            game that has it such as Mario Kart or Ballz 3D or order it as an option.

V2 = Same as V1, plus:
         don't need to reset the console in order to save. That is why the battery is there.
         A bit faster loading time.
         Supports cheats.
         Easier to install DSP1 chip, less components required, you only need the DSP1 chip itself.

SD2SNES = Different firmware and hardware. This unit is smarter and more powerful. This works differently and supports all kinds of Enhancement Chips, but not all - because of the developer, which isn't Krikzz (he only makes them) didn't implement them yet. You DO NOT need to install any chip yourself.
         Instant loading.
         Different interface.
         The supported chips are, at the moment:
                BS-X memory map / Satellaview base unit registers (clock)
                DSP1 / 1b
                DSP2
                DSP3
                DSP4
                ST-010
                Cx4
                MSU1 - This is not a real chip made by Nintendo and is used only for homebrew.
                S-RTC
                OBC1

Many people always ask which game has which chip. I'm putting an end to this with this link:
LOOK AT THE BUTTOM FOR A COMPLETE CHART
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Super_NES_enhancement_chips

Please someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Offline ot4ku

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2014, 09:34 PM »
Thanks this is a lot of help! So its (in some way) similar to the Mega Everdrive that is superior to the normal Everdrive MD v3 right? So with a Mega Everdrive & SD2SNES you get the best ther eis at the moment for 16bit. And i guess for N64 its maybe best to wait for the already announced ED64v3.

Because I only have PAL consoles i still need a hardware mod to play the US games with 60hz i guess, right?

Offline strider1911

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2014, 10:08 PM »
Thanks this is a lot of help! So its (in some way) similar to the Mega Everdrive that is superior to the normal Everdrive MD v3 right? So with a Mega Everdrive & SD2SNES you get the best ther eis at the moment for 16bit. And i guess for N64 its maybe best to wait for the already announced ED64v3.

Because I only have PAL consoles i still need a hardware mod to play the US games with 60hz i guess, right?

SD2SNES and Mega Everdrive are considered by most to be the Ferrari of 16bit flashcarts.
BUT keep in mind that for better or worse SD2SNES is not considered a Krikzz product.

And yes, you need hardware mods for true 60hz. Very easy on a Mega Drive if you use Scart RGB. Also, my recommendation is to get a Super Famicom from Ebay. They are super cheap and act exactly the same as NTSC console as far as the Everdrives are concerned.

Offline ot4ku

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2014, 10:31 PM »
The problem is i live in PAL region and have the european power connector. So i have to settle with the PAL console. The 50hz/60hz switch costs here 70eur for snes, for genesis/megadrive its even 120 together with the mega cd.

Offline Paulweeze

• Video Game Connoisseur
  • Music and Games are good for the soul.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2014, 10:41 PM »
The problem is i live in PAL region and have the european power connector. So i have to settle with the PAL console. The 50hz/60hz switch costs here 70eur for snes, for genesis/megadrive its even 120 together with the mega cd.
Ouch. Try finding one premodded to buy (might be cheaper, at magfest those systems region modded were definatly less than 70 euros and people on some forums sell them even less), a cheaper place to send your system in for modding, or if you are technical, follow a tut to learn how to diy.
Everdrives I own: ED64, Mega Everdrive, EDGB, EDGG, N8, Master Everdrive

Other Flashcarts: SD2SNES

Offline strider1911

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2014, 12:50 AM »

You CAN use a Mega Drive 1 power adapter for both Genesis 1 and Super Famicom! There is no need for a new power adapter! PM me for further assistance.

Offline goombakid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2014, 05:46 AM »
Someone should make a sticky thread about this because this question is always being asked, here is what I know:

I thought I did stick one...or was it only in the Super Everdrive forum? Anyway, looks like you're spot on.

[EDIT] https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_oCKw2V6pcxLUdlSVB0WWp1aHM/edit

Comparison chart courtesy of strider1911.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 08:09 PM by goombakid »

Offline Johnny23b

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2014, 11:27 AM »
Are there any plans of making a Save State Funktion for SD2SNES?
That would be an interesting Point for me to get one.
Otherwhise I think I would stick with my Super Everdrive v1.

Offline crabfists

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2014, 03:04 PM »
Can somebody please tell me the differences between the save functionality of SD2SNES and the Super Everdrives?

According to the blurb the SD2SNES has "Automatic near-time SRAM saving to SD Card" whereas Super Everdrive has "SRAM auto backup on SD card". Does this mean the same thing? I presume it is referring to being able to save via a game's save system directly to the card.

From what I have read neither card has actual snapshot/savestate functionality but it _may_ come in the future for SD2SNES. Is this correct?

Thanks!

Offline Mattroid

• Deluxe Edition
  • So many games, too little time
    • View Profile
    • Arcade Crusade
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2014, 03:43 PM »
Neither have save states, but it's possible the SD2SNES might support them one day, though there will likely be issues with that functionality. This has been discussed many times on this forum.

Other than that, in a basic sense, SED saves last save game to battery while all others save to the SD card, while SD2SNES saves to the SD card every few seconds or so. This prevents you from having to hit the reset button to force the save to happen (the battery in the SD2SNES is not used for saves at the moment).

More reading:
SED: http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=1177.msg11969#msg11969
SD2SNES: http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=2101.msg21291#msg21291

So basically, it's arguable that both have similar/same functionality when it comes to saves.
2600-Harmony Encore; NES-PowerPak, EverDrive N8; GB(C)-EverDrive GB; SNES-Super EverDrive v1, SD2SNES; GEN-Mega EverDrive v1; N64-EverDrive64 v2; NGPC-Bung 32Mb, NeoFlashMasta, NeoFlashMasta USB; GBA-EZ-Flash II 256Mb, EverDrive GBA (Preorder); NDS-R4

Offline crabfists

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2014, 02:53 PM »
Thanks for the info Mattroid. :)

Offline Erockbrox

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2014, 11:10 AM »
What is the fastest SD card that can be used with the sd2snes?

what about hdxc cards?

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2014, 02:49 PM »
Class 10 works perfectly with msu1 for me.

http://sd2snes.de/blog/card-list

Offline goombakid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2014, 05:23 AM »
From THIS THREAD:

THERE IS NO FLASH CART ON THE MARKET THAT SUPPORTS SA-1 OR SUPER FX.