Author Topic: SD2SNES strangeness and MSU-1 games have no music  (Read 5530 times)

Offline littlecolt

• View Profile
SD2SNES strangeness and MSU-1 games have no music
« on: June 21, 2017, 08:50 AM »
I got my SD2SNES in the mail yesterday, and I have already experienced some oddness with it. I am wondering if this has to do with my SNES, or the cart, or what. Anyway, so...

This issue is resolved---> First, it doesn't really like to start up if the SD card is inserted. I will just get a black screen. I think it has started up normally before, but I can't recall exactly. Anyway, the way I get it to start up is by powering on the SNES while there's no SD card in it, then inserting the SD card once the message come up. (It comes up and flashes once.) Once I've done that, everything works great, no problems at all, except for MSU-1 games. <---This issue is resolved.

MSU-1 games are really strange. They run, but there's no music. I've tried two different SD cards, one that came with it that is like some no-name brand, and another that's a SanDisk. The results are the same: There is no music. Here's the kicker: the FMV at the beginning of Zelda plays! But with no sound! It's just video. It seems to me that if there's enough read speed to play video, it should be able to run audio, right? I probably lack understanding. BTW, the rom works and plays MSU-1 audio just fine using bsnes on my PC, so it's definitely set up properly.

So I don't know what's up. Firmware? It came with 0.1.7d. I've upgraded it to 0.1.7e. Same results, either firmware. I guess I'll try downgrading it next, see what that does. At this point, I am just flailing my arms in the dark and hoping that it's not that the SNES is wacky. It IS an older one. I have a friend with another SNES I can test the cart out on, maybe tonight, we'll see. His is old, too.

EDIT: Identified both my SD cards. Trying to format the SanDisk fresh with a full FAT32 format. Gonna try to run 0.1.7e with that card and attempt to run MSU-1 Zelda again.

BTW I opened my cart and found that it is a Ref.F board. Also, when the SNES boots and the SD card is in, the green power LED comes on, the orange Read LED becomes solid, and the red Write LED flashes once. Then it just sit there with green and orange lit up solid.  When i start it without the SD card in, the red LED flashes until I insert the card, then it flashes the orange LED a few times and the menu comes right up. Freaking bizarre.

EDIT 2: Formatting the SD card made no difference. Still no music with MSU-1. However, the SD2SNES now boots with the SD card in the cart no problem, so I guess that's good?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 04:43 AM by littlecolt »

Offline ikari_01

• View Profile
Re: SD2SNES strangeness and MSU-1 games have no music
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2017, 03:03 PM »
Hi,

what do the PCM file names look like? Are they like romname-0.pcm, romname-1.pcm etc.?
Higan/bsnes(?) also supports a more dynamic file name mapping where you can give arbitrary file names per track number, e.g. they might instead be called intro.pcm, battle.pcm, etc.
However sd2snes only supports the numbered file name scheme.

Offline littlecolt

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2017, 09:52 PM »
Here's how my file structure looks. It is as you say, numbered.

Offline littlecolt

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2017, 10:21 PM »
Oh, lovely.

New development today. Now my SD2SNES just isn't starting at all, with or without memory card plugged in. I only get a black screen, even with the memory card out. It doesn't even say "No SD Card" or whatever. Just... black.

So now I guess I need to test it on another SNES or two just to make sure it's not my SNES acting up. I tried some regular game cartridges, and they all booted correctly, though. I'm really starting to think there's something wrong with the SD2SNES, here.

I figured this whole situation out, but I still have my original problem where MSU-1 games do not play music, and some new info, see below, new reply.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 09:33 AM by littlecolt »

Offline FeverDrive

• Blast Processing advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2017, 05:24 AM »
Where did you buy your SD2SNES?
WELCO
METOT
HENEX
TLEVEL

Offline littlecolt

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2017, 09:41 AM »
SO!

The problem above that I have put in strikethru text is solved. So, I didn't understand that the SD2SNES diagnostic tools would run with nothing on the screen. Once I put an SD card back in that had the original sd2snes directory that came with the cartridge, it started working again.  Also worth noting that the SD card that came with this thing is not good and wouldn't initialize for almost anything. It was the original source of the issue where I couldn't boot with an SD card plugged in, and it had the diagnostic image onboard when I tried running the diagnostic firmware in the first place.

So anyway, once I reverted the thing back to 0.1.7b, I put the diagnostic tools on the GOOD SD card, popped it in, and watched the LEDs on the SD2SNES light up much better and more as expected. It ran through the diagnostic tests, and I've come back with a pass all around.

Having the LEDs visible is handy! The shell that my cart came in did not have any holes or anything to allow viewing of the LEDs. Now, with the shell removed and the board just plugged into the SNES, I could see everything.

So I figured I would load another MSU-1 game. I gave renumbering the files a try, and I started the numbering from 0 instead of 1. This didn't help, BTW, but when I ran Zelda, I played it for a while and noticed the yellow Read LED on the SD2SNES flashing as I changed areas where it would have to load a new music file. It was trying to load the music, but no music was coming out! The yellow LED is very dim as it flashes and it kind of retains a dim yellow the whole time. (This is apparently normal)

So, I wonder, is this a power issue? The LED is dim, so I wonder if my SNES isn't providing enough power. (That's not it.)

Diagnostic log here:
TEST SUMMARY
============

flash check:   1111-4-33b04504-dfb09a7f-00-11-0 
Test      Result
----------------
SD        Passed
USB       not implemented
RTC       Passed
CIC       no run
FPGA      Passed
RAM       Passed
SD DMA    Passed
CLK       Passed
DAC       not implemented
SNES IRQ  Passed
SNES RAM  Passed
SNES PA   Passed

Anyway, I don't know what else it might be.

I almost kinda wonder if the audio part of my MSU-1 chip just isn't outputting properly. I mean, I get the full motion video, but no audio. I get sound effects, but no music...
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 04:45 AM by littlecolt »

Offline ikari_01

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2017, 12:37 PM »
OK, so with the yellow LED very dim, it's actually playing back the files properly but there's no audible output. By any chance do you have a Super Gameboy to check if the cartridge audio inputs on your SNES are working? If they don't you won't hear any Gameboy sound.
Otherwise the analog audio output on your sd2snes is probably broken. :(

Offline littlecolt

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2017, 01:09 PM »
Oh snap! That is very interesting. I don't have a super game boy, but I can go get one tomorrow or Friday probably. Depends on stock at local shops. I know a couple spots that might let me just use one to test right quick.

Offline littlecolt

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2017, 03:08 AM »
OK, so with the yellow LED very dim, it's actually playing back the files properly but there's no audible output. By any chance do you have a Super Gameboy to check if the cartridge audio inputs on your SNES are working? If they don't you won't hear any Gameboy sound.
Otherwise the analog audio output on your sd2snes is probably broken. :(

Okay, so, just thought I'd update this thread here for anyone keeping up...

I've gone over to a friend's house and tested the SD2SNES on their SNES, and the result was the same: Sound effects sound fine, but music is not playing. So, that should settle it, the SD2SNES is bad, right? Wrong.

I don't know what the chances are that two SNES consoles will have the same problem, but this friend of mine also had a Retron 3. Just for fun, thought I'd try out the SD2SNES on the Retron 3 and see what happens. Turns out it runs everything just fine, and it KIND OF played the MSU1 audio. The audio was very quiet, and had a distorted/blaring sound to it. The Zelda intro video had no audio just like on the real SNES's I had tested it out on, but there was indeed some music coming out for MSU1 Zelda and Chrono Trigger. It sounded freaking AWFUL, but it was there.

So now I am like... Okay, could both those systems have been messed up the same way, and the music sounded awful on the Retron because it is an emulation machine?

After searching a couple local stores for a Super Game Boy and not finding one, I've bought one on eBay. This will hopefully put this all to rest. However, if my SNES ends up being messed up, I am wondering how hard it would be to repair on my own. Is there any technical schematics out there that explain the analog audio pinning on the SNES's connector? I have electronics experience. I just would need a diagram, and this is assuming I can pinpoint where it's messed up at and fix it somehow at all.

Offline littlecolt

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2017, 01:42 AM »
I got my Super Game Boy in the mail today and confirmed that there's audio when I use it on my SNES, so it appears that the SD2SNES indeed has a problem with analog audio output. :(

I've messaged the eBay seller I bought it from in hopes that he will do an exchange.

Offline marvelus10

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2017, 06:23 AM »
I had the same problem last night when I upgraded my firmware to the latest, no audio from MSU-1 on some videos, so I checked a couple of games and they had sound so went back and tried first video with problem and it had audio, I never changed any settings or took the cart out. Dunno what fixed it but thought I would mention it.

Edit: On second thought, I may have cycled through the MSU-1 level settings prior to checking the first video a second time.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 06:25 AM by marvelus10 »

Offline littlecolt

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2017, 10:15 AM »
I had the same problem last night when I upgraded my firmware to the latest, no audio from MSU-1 on some videos, so I checked a couple of games and they had sound so went back and tried first video with problem and it had audio, I never changed any settings or took the cart out. Dunno what fixed it but thought I would mention it.

Edit: On second thought, I may have cycled through the MSU-1 level settings prior to checking the first video a second time.

That may be it, for you, but I definitely tried a ton of things and never got any sound from MSU-1 except for the horrible sound it made in the Retron 3.

The SD2SNES has been returned to seller wholesale-flash-cartridges, who seems to have been caught off guard by my questions. I do not think he even knew what MSU1 was. I had to explain it to him, because at first he just thought normal roms had no sound. I had to explain it to him, and link him to somewhere he could get a MSU1 rom to test himself.

If he can't wrap his head around this soon, I'll probably just ask for a refund and order my flashcart from somewhere else. I probably should have gone with a reputable seller like Stone Age Gamer, but this guy had the cart for a bit cheaper, and I am a penny pincher. Now I am paying for it with these delays, problems, and a seller who can't give support on the product...  :'(

Offline littlecolt

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2017, 05:13 AM »
Final update: I got a refund from this seller. I cannot recommend this seller at all. He did not seem to care much that I had problems, and mostly just wanted me to go away. I hope he doesn't sell the defective unit to anyone else.

Offline ikari_01

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2017, 03:18 PM »
Aliexpress? You bet he will.  8)