Author Topic: SG-1000 Opinions  (Read 5932 times)

Offline Kyle

• Game Genie Guy
    • View Profile
SG-1000 Opinions
« on: June 20, 2014, 06:20 PM »
I have a Mega EverDrive I use for SMS. I was thinking of getting a Master ED to play SG-1000 games and possibly make some cheats for them. Several people online said that the SMS palette is "ugly" or "too dark." I'm wondering if this is really a problem or it is overblown. I'll be running RGB out of the SMS via SCART.

Offline butfluffy

• View Profile
Re: SG-1000 Opinions
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2014, 06:50 PM »
i've played some sg-1000 games on my master everdrive and cant say i noticed any issues. i ain't got a sg-1000 to compare with but for me everything seemed ok. i would also say that i'm not usually one for nit picking when it comes to minor image imperfections so maybe my opinion is flawed but in my opinion sg-1000 games are playable and enjoyable on the master system.

edit - i forgot to mention i'm running rgb via scart aswell. maybe things look a lot worse with rf/aerial connection.

Offline Kyle

• Game Genie Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2014, 09:21 PM »
Yeah it's not that that the video quality is poor. The SMS uses a different pallete than the SG-1000 which is darker than the original console. I would think having the RGB out would way outrule the RF on the original system. I guess some people complained about the playchoice 10 pallets as well on the NES RGB mod.

Offline phoenixdownita

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2014, 12:09 AM »
Judge by yourself:
http://www.smspower.org/Development/Palette#MasterSystemMarkIII

Last column (called ...) is how it looks on SG-1000.

Galaga for sg-1000 is hard to play because you can barely make out dark blue shots over a black background, if you pump up the brightness you can get thru it.

My opinion is that the palette does hamper playing many SG-1000, they look off, mind you many are still playable just not too easy on the eyes, and a selected few look very nasty, so much so you likely wouldn't want to play them much.
[BTW: I am not saying that on SG-1000 they would look like fine artwork, but they should look definitely better as the colors were chosen purposefully that way wrt the rest of the palette]

Keep in mind the you need an actual  SMS to play SG-1000, not just a PBC for your MD/Genesis.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 12:12 AM by phoenixdownita »

Offline butfluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2014, 12:43 AM »
looking at that colour chart there is a significant difference. maybe the games i tried out were ones in which the colour palette variation does not really hamper gameplay. tbh i have not played a lot of sg-1000 games either so i guess between that and the fact i'm not so familiar with the sg-1000 so i had nothing to compare to.
 the games i tried seemed older and more basic than MS games but yet still fun.

Offline Kyle

• Game Genie Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2014, 12:53 AM »
I do have a SMS and a bunch of games for it. I just normally play SMS on my Mega Drive. Thanks a ton for the info everyone.

Offline manorock850

• View Profile
would be cool
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2014, 12:39 AM »
If you made sg 1000 cheats that would be cool.I never even had a sms let alone sg1000 so all these syestems are likenew to me.I thank krikzz for allowing retro gamers in smaller markets to use flashcards for roms and experience games and systems they may have never experienced from childhood due to less advertising in rural communities. I hope kyle gg guy will support it maybe some day just to try it out for fun

Offline Kyle

• Game Genie Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2014, 05:41 AM »
The biggest problem seems like blue can show as a very dark almost black blue on sone games. I'm sure it varies from game to game. I have an ugly dentist bill coming up. Maybe I'll get one of these after that.

Offline phoenixdownita

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2014, 10:53 PM »
I have been told MasterED does not work on SG-1000 even if you can make an adapter to use it over it.

The adapter is the same that allows to use US carts over Jap SMS from the cart slot (not the expansion slot).
You can read a lot about it and how it came to be here  (towards the end) :)
http://www.smspower.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13850
ApolloBoy made one.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 10:55 PM by phoenixdownita »