Author Topic: everdrive gb clone on aliexpress  (Read 19026 times)

Offline reprep

• View Profile
everdrive gb clone on aliexpress
« on: July 22, 2014, 09:52 PM »
i don't know if this has been discussed before but a clone of everdrive gb surfaces on aliexpress for 66$ including shipping. i will not link it here, this post is just to make people aware of this clone and stay away from it.
PM me if you want to sell your Everdrive MD.

Offline Saya

• Eldritch Abomination
    • View Profile
Re: everdrive gb clone on aliexpress
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 10:09 PM »
I see ED clones all the time in the related items section when looking for things on taobao, from what I've seen they have one for everything, so yeah, regardless of the ED you're getting I would only get one from one of the websites that Krikzz has listed and actually does business with.  Chinese sites like these should only be used when you can't find what you want elsewhere or when you're getting something that isn't heavily reliant on build quality.  Saving $20-$30 isn't worth it when you're investing in something that will be able to run pretty much any game you'd want to, because eventually something will happen to it and you'll end up spending more money than you would've in the first place.

Not to mention that Krikzz's support really can't be beat.

Edit:  Yes I realize that you're just warning people, just figured I'd offer some additional info for anyone who will potentially read this thread.

Offline Paulweeze

• Video Game Connoisseur
  • Music and Games are good for the soul.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 10:34 PM »
Fuck that (moderators are welcome to change my lanuage but i believe you would use the same word lol). Never get a ED clone, let alone a ED on aliexpress. Cant believe these assholes are robbing Krikzz of everything he makes. Thanks for pointing that out Reprep, i already have a EDGB (and know better than to buy a clone) but others should learn the lessons of those who bought the NES clones. http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=1842.0
I bet you MBC1 is only working, or it only plays GB games, or it will doa or soon after, or destroy your gb, ect. We just need another RAY to join the forums to tell me wrong. http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=1723.30
Everdrives I own: ED64, Mega Everdrive, EDGB, EDGG, N8, Master Everdrive

Other Flashcarts: SD2SNES

Offline reprep

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 10:41 PM »
well, i agree with both of you. it is the first time i actually see a everdrive gb clone, so i just wanted to warn people.

i really think everdrive gb at retrogate for 93$ including shipping is a great price. i bought it as soon as the second batch is available (missed the first) and i never regret. plus with purchases over 10, you get the same aliexpress price with krikzz quality.

the thing is, it hasn't been a long time and chinese has already cloned the thing. i don't know if krikzz has a way to stop this for the future everdrives or for future updates, i hope he finds a way to protect his intellectual property and gives us more quality everdrives.
PM me if you want to sell your Everdrive MD.

Offline Paulweeze

• Video Game Connoisseur
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 11:11 PM »
Usually his tactic is to make another os that has more features and cant work on clones or make another device altogether (ED64 v2 ect.). Problem is, the people dumb enough to buy them either never heard of Everdrives (or the Legendary Krikzz) before or are so cheap and believe they can save a buck. Yea you will save a buck, for a polished up turd lol. If people continue to support clones, how will Krikzz make another Everdrive for them to try to rip off?

Try to send your broken clone in and see what happens...
Send your broken everdrive in and Krikzz has got your back (either fix or replace and people who purchased it years ago, if it is still sold he will still fix it)
Hmm, which do i prefer?

And as Saya said, these sites are only good for obsure stuff you cant find elsewhere or dont care about quality. Everdrives are not something you want to cheap out on.

Offline butfluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 11:21 PM »
RAY... lol.
 i remember thinking while the n8 clone thread was still active that it wont be long before another everdrive is cloned and i'm pretty sure someone predicted  that everdrive gb would probably be next because the gb has a large user base. it really does suck :(
 back to that RAY guy though. he had some cheek talking shit on krikzz own forums, glad he got banned soon after. the internet makes it easy for people to appear to have balls and talk shit all over the place. that RAY guy was a complete arsehole.

Offline Paulweeze

• Video Game Connoisseur
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 12:04 AM »
Lol yep. Had fun talking him down (with very valid aruments) and reporting him to Goombakid 8). Waiting for RAY JR. to join and brag about the EDGB clone after someone else says that this clone sucks. Ahh gotta love idiots who talk shit, they make my day lol.

Offline Saya

• Eldritch Abomination
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2014, 05:18 AM »
God, I remember reading that thread before I decided to register (it was about time anyways, as I already own 3 Everdrives and have a 4th on the way), and I was almost shocked to see that, but really there's not much you can do, such is life on the internet.  Then again with Poe's Law what can you really expect, for every person that is promoting this stuff for their own benefit, there's someone actually falling for it and believing it.  It's quite a shame really.

Offline mrGREEK360

• View Profile
    • mrGREEK360's Tech & Gaming YouTube Channel
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2014, 04:29 AM »
Really these scum bags in China are horrid.  They can copy a device, yet they can't develop their own design? Pathetic scum, that's all they are.  People who buy cloned everdrives willingly are also pathetic imo, for saving a few dollars you screw over a guy and his family which is in Ukraine during a war...

The fake Everdrives suck I know 3 people who bought everdrives on a group buy and they ended up being fake and they are all broken now.....
Stone Age Gamer Deluxe Flash Carts I Own - Everdrive N8 (Dark Classic) - SD2SNES (Ultra Purple) - Mega Everdrive (Fire Red) - Everdrive 64 (Cobalt Blue) - Everdrive GB (Charcoal Gray)

Other Flash Carts - EZ Flash IV (GBA), Passcard 3 (DS), Gateway (3DS), R4i (DS)

http://www.youtube.com/liquidg

Offline Paulweeze

• Video Game Connoisseur
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2014, 04:42 AM »
Damn, that sucks for them. I think the only ones who i feel sorry for are the ones who buy it in a store, although no official everdrive is available at a brick and mortar iirc (unless they bought a bunch from retrogate to resell). It is pathetic that years ago, they made copiers that are still holding up and these clones dont last more than a day but to me, these clones are a major counterfeit scam. If they could sell them with no games working just to save more money, then they would. But their ruse is pissing me off at the fact that people dont seem to realize that Krikzz put his heart and soul into a device so perfect and has spend hair pulling amount of time on the fourms and helping with inquiries. All of us younger generations dreams was to have either a oem console that could play everything or a cart that has every game, and Krikzz made this possible in our nostalgia years. Imagine people, if you made something that you were proud of and spent years perfecting and it took 3 months for some asshole to ruin your reputation and steal your bread from your table. As ive said before, would you want a Fender Strat that does the job right or the $50 chinese guitar that cant stay in tune and isnt even worth the hassle?

Offline krivx

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2014, 04:47 PM »
I'm curious how this gets done if krikzz doesn't use chinese manufacturers. Someone buys an EDGB, desolders the components, scans and recreates the PCB and fabs clones. All of the ICs P/Ns can be read off and sourced, all the passives get measured.

How are they getting the configuration data for the CPLD? Is it possible to dump it even if the ICs security features are enabled? Or are they reimplementing all the logic? If this is the case I wouldn't be surprised if compatibility is very different.

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2014, 05:38 PM »
pretty easy to make pcb copy with scanner, but i still don't know how they deal with cpld logic

Offline krivx

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2014, 05:59 PM »
I know there are parts with known security exploits, but it's not as big as a research area as software right now. There are even businesses that offer this commercially, but who knows if they actually legit http://www.ic-cracker.com/category/cpld-crack/ http://www.ic-cracker.com/hack-cpld-ic-altera-epm240t100a/

Unfortunately if you wanted to avoid this you might have to move to a different CPLD family or vendor. Have you asked Altera? If you tell a support person a product has been cloned they may be able to advise you on a more secure part (probably for more $$$)

You are setting the security bits? Otherwise the logic may be accessible over jtag...

Offline fwannmacher

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2014, 06:01 PM »
Maybe chinese people can learn the logic by osmosis  :P

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2014, 06:11 PM »
I know there are parts with known security exploits, but it's not as big as a research area as software right now. There are even businesses that offer this commercially, but who knows if they actually legit http://www.ic-cracker.com/category/cpld-crack/ http://www.ic-cracker.com/hack-cpld-ic-altera-epm240t100a/

Unfortunately if you wanted to avoid this you might have to move to a different CPLD family or vendor. Have you asked Altera? If you tell a support person a product has been cloned they may be able to advise you on a more secure part (probably for more $$$)

You are setting the security bits? Otherwise the logic may be accessible over jtag...
I set security bits