Author Topic: Everdrive GB constantly resets on a Gameboy Pocket  (Read 30445 times)

Offline ninjainspandex

• View Profile
Everdrive GB constantly resets on a Gameboy Pocket
« on: July 29, 2014, 05:10 AM »
My Everdrive only works on my Gameboy Pocket when the batteries are 100% charged, if it is even just a little bit drained the cart just resets when it tries writing a game to the cart.  At first I thought it was because my Gameboy Pocket was backlit modded, but then today I bought a second GBP for cheap that is unmodded and the issue still persists.  Is it because of the LED in the cart draining too much power?

Offline Paulweeze

• Video Game Connoisseur
  • Music and Games are good for the soul.
    • View Profile
Re: Everdrive GB constantly resets on a Gameboy Pocket
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 05:13 AM »
Idk, but gbp's are known not to act well with anything not oem. Nanoloop states that it is not good to use a gbp for it as well. Have you tested it on anything else?
Everdrives I own: ED64, Mega Everdrive, EDGB, EDGG, N8, Master Everdrive

Other Flashcarts: SD2SNES

Offline ninjainspandex

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 05:17 AM »
works flawlessly on my GBC GBA and GBA SP both front lit and backlit.  Don't have a DMG to test it on.  But it seems that the LED is the culprit, the screen gets real dim everytime the LED access light comes on and it seems like when it tries to load a game it is just not enough juice.  I wonder if unsoldering the LED would solve the problem, I'd rather not do it myself.

Offline Paulweeze

• Video Game Connoisseur
  • Music and Games are good for the soul.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 05:21 AM »
Hmm, thats a good question. If that is the solution for gbp's then others would want to know. Wonder if you could ask retrogate to sell one without one?
Everdrives I own: ED64, Mega Everdrive, EDGB, EDGG, N8, Master Everdrive

Other Flashcarts: SD2SNES

Offline Asaki

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2014, 01:05 PM »
...it seems like when it tries to load a game it is just not enough juice.  I wonder if unsoldering the LED would solve the problem...

...think about what you're saying for just a moment ;)

My GBP only does that when the batteries are almost dead. Granted, the battery life isn't super great, but it's a small price to pay. I just try not to flash any games while I'm using it.

Offline ninjainspandex

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 12:41 AM »
But it starts doing this after using a fully charged Duracell NiHM battery after only using it for 5 or 10 minutes.  So generally what I have to do is load the game on my GBA and then put the cart in my Gameboy Pocket. 

Offline Asaki

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2014, 01:07 PM »
Yes, but the LED is not the part of the cart that reads data from the SD card, thus, the LED is not the problem.

Are these batteries new, or have they been recharged numerous times?

Offline toshineon

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2014, 01:38 PM »
I don't own an Everdrive GB, so I can't verify this, but it's still possible that the LED could be the culprit. Improbable, but not impossible. As far as I understand, the LED only lights up when you flash a game into memory, so it's possible that the current the LED need is just over the limit for the GBP. If this is the case the problem doesn't specifically come from flashing a game, but rather, from the LED lighting up, which would occur during it. I can't say for sure, though, as LED's generally don't draw much power, and there's no way for me to test it. But there are my 2 cents.

Offline actionless

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2014, 10:39 PM »
You need to use higher power rechargeable batteries for the Gameboy pocket to work best. You can get 1.6v rechargeable. The average rechargeable is only 1.2v which is not enough. The ECGB uses more power than a normal cartridge. Once I changed to 1.6v I had no problems, even with backlit - works like a dream :)

Offline zaneiken

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2014, 12:38 AM »
^This.
The other alternative is to use alkalines.

Offline Asaki

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2014, 01:17 PM »
You can get 1.6v rechargeable.

I might have to find some of those, these 1.2s only seem to last a few hours.

Haven't kept track of exactly how long they last, but when I only play it at work (about 30 minutes per day) it seems like I'm recharging them at least once a week.

Offline ApolloBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2014, 04:53 AM »
Just wanted to add that I tried my new Everdrive GB on my unmodded Pocket and it worked fine, no issues whatsoever. Mine however is one of the early systems without a power LED, I wonder if that has to do with it?

Offline Asaki

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2014, 11:29 PM »
You can get 1.6v rechargeable.

Where do you find these?

I looked in-store, couldn't find anything...so I checked on Amazon.com, the only rechargeables they had in 1.6v were no-name-brand ones.

Mine however is one of the early systems without a power LED, I wonder if that has to do with it?

So is mine. It's a MiC though, not a MiJ (but I doubt it would make much of a difference).

Offline ApolloBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2014, 08:35 AM »
I just tried out my EDGB with my brother's Pocket (which is the newer revision with the power LED), and the screen will briefly go blank when erasing or flashing a game. Perhaps there really is something about the newer GBPs that doesn't sit well with the Everdrive.

Offline justinwebb

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2014, 03:27 PM »
i have around 25 different gameboys and it works fine no matter if it has an led or not.  Its the batteries not the pocket.