Author Topic: So i bought a China version by mistake... anyone know if ...  (Read 20742 times)

Offline popfulmail

• View Profile
first off I'll just say I honestly didn't realise it wasn't the official version as I bought a genuine turbo everdrive from the dealer in the past and just assumed he was still stocking official everdrive products from krikzzz rather then another version. I figured he'd just stuck his own shell design over an original krikkz board and clicked add to cart...

I don't really know what the deal is with the China version and whether its official/ not official, but my question to anyone else who may have one is whether or not they can save games on this thing? As I'm using a nomad i don't have any way of resetting the system rather then hitting the master system pause button on the cartridge which appears to do absolutely nothing, so I'm wondering if my one is broken or if all the china editions are like that? As it stands I'm just figuring its broken or might only be compatible with non-nomad systems which would be very annoying....

I'll be buying an official everdrive md cart in the near future also, but just seeing whether this version is good for anything at all?

thanks

Offline Paulweeze

• Video Game Connoisseur
  • Music and Games are good for the soul.
    • View Profile
Re: So i bought a China version by mistake... anyone know if ...
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2014, 06:24 AM »
Sorry about your circumstance. The Everdrive MD has no need to reset afaik because it should have a battery (Mega Everdrive requires reset) to save, then make save file on sd card after choosing another game. The Chinese version afaik is sold by junfangames and is made in China with support only from the buyer. Do you know what os and firmware it claims to be? You might even have the V2 clone which is obviously out of date and not supported as well.
Everdrives I own: ED64, Mega Everdrive, EDGB, EDGG, N8, Master Everdrive

Other Flashcarts: SD2SNES

Offline popfulmail

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2014, 01:38 PM »
Hi thanks for replying, it's OS version 35, firmware version 12, - the mega key is software, files are fat 16/32 and the dir size is 512. It's detecting the master system key is pressed in the menu so I think ill just send it back to the seller to be honest.. Probably should have checked it out 100% but then again he was an official dealer at one point so I just didn't realise , oh well live and learn...

Is there anyway to make the SMS button work for resetting on genesis/md games on this model?  As I have no way of testing on another non-nomad model, I'm not sure if saves willwork on a regular machine  and an official seller I was looking at in the us says it might take like 6 weeks before they have the official ones in stock again...:(

Cheers

Offline popfulmail

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2014, 01:44 PM »
Weirdly the saves are there as I just had a monkey around so there are files in the save file I just don't know how to get them to actually load when I play....

Offline Paulweeze

• Video Game Connoisseur
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2014, 06:19 PM »
Only thing i can think of for the saves is transfer them to a computer and try them on an emulator. Use the 8to16 or 16to8 (i cant recall which) if they do not work off the bat http://krikzz.com/pub/support/index.php?dir=everdrive-md.
If there is data there, your cart for some reason has problems loading it but has no problem producing a save.
Is there an option to change reset options (MED has reset to game (think only for xmen) and reset to menu)?
Plus, someone else with a current EDMD V3 will have to confirm if that is clone or not via the highest os usable (I only own a MED :-[)

Offline popfulmail

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2014, 07:58 PM »
Nah its definitely a licensed clone, seller has said so himself when I asked about it after buying it, to be fair he's said he'll give me a refund minus postage if I can't get it up and running, I just didn't realise there were different versions about.. .  weirdly a save game will sometimes be there, unless i save on another game then it wipes the old save on the other game.... i think its just too buggy to bother with to be honest...  :(

Weirdly there is also a save for sonic 2 beta... which doesnt make any sense so i think the everdrive is just randomly assigning save data... nah there's no reset options, but as i have no reset button it doesnt really matter. Thanks for your suggestions tho, appreciate it :)

Liklihood is that it probably works fine for non-nomad systems, I just can't check....... they just didn't take the existence of the nomad into account so the master system switch doesn't reset the megadrive games in this version :(
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 08:03 PM by popfulmail »

Offline Paulweeze

• Video Game Connoisseur
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2014, 10:09 PM »
Yea the Mega Everdrive iirc has no major issues with the nomad besides requiring a mod to play sms games (and low battery life due to power consumption, and cant play the 32x). The sms pause button still acts as a reset for genesis games. Yea it sounds like that device is kind of a hassle so returning it would probably be your best option.
BTW, there are a few other retailers (listed on Krikzz.com) that sell the official Everdrives that might be worth checking into, but from my experience...
SAG makes a fine product, but cost extra and are made to order for the deluxe editions so it will be a month or more if they have one in stock (got the ED64 and MED deluxe)
Retrogate is more affordable and is basically direct from Krikzz. Never had problems with the items i ordered and they arrived in less than 2 weeks (for the EDGB and EDGG)
A forum member is selling new everdrives at retrogates cost minus shipping from Israel http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=1855.0
List of other authorized sellers here http://krikzz.com/index.php?route=information/information&information_id=7
Just to keep your options out there in case you had trouble finding a place with them in stock.

Offline popfulmail

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2014, 11:24 AM »
Hi yeah I ordered a few everdrives from Stone Age gamer as they seem to have a good rep. The dollar is weak right now which helps those of us outside the us :)

I've returned it to the guy to see if it's just that unit. As I have an official one on the way now if he manages to get it working ill just have it as a backup or something, if not ill get a refund.

Offline popfulmail

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2014, 11:26 AM »
Thanks for the info, I never realised retrogate was run by krikkz.