Author Topic: Everdrive MD will not work when 32X and Sega CD are all connected.  (Read 4085 times)

Offline schmeck626

• View Profile
I recently got a Model 1 Genesis, Model 2 Sega CD and a 32X. I assembled the console and attachments and began playing regular retail games. Later on I decided to try my Everdrive MD and to my surprise I had no OS menu. I would see the TMSS show up saying "produced by Sega", then black screen. I decided to take off the 32X and try again and the Everdrive MD worked, then I reconnected the 32X and disconnected the Sega CD, and the Everdrive worked again. The only time it will not work is when all three are attached.

To make all this more confusing I had another Model 1 Genesis, so I just swapped out the console and left the all the other components the same and everything worked perfectly.

Has anyone ever seen anything like this before? Where a certain Genesis will refuse the boot the Everdrive when connected to either the Sega CD or 32X.

Offline Paulweeze

• Video Game Connoisseur
  • Music and Games are good for the soul.
    • View Profile
Re: Everdrive MD will not work when 32X and Sega CD are all connected.
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2014, 06:48 AM »
I have had that happen with my MED on my old 32x (dont own a sega cd yet so cant vouch for that one). It would either get stuck on a blue screen or go to a error message. Most would say the way to fix it is to re-adjust the ribbon inside but i still had no luck. When i traded it in for another 32x, everything was golden 8).
Everdrives I own: ED64, Mega Everdrive, EDGB, EDGG, N8, Master Everdrive

Other Flashcarts: SD2SNES

Offline schmeck626

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2014, 05:33 PM »
Thanks for the reply. I know exactly what you mean, it's very odd. It's as if different Sega hardware revisions behave differently with the Everdrive. It's also very hard to troubleshoot because the hardware looks the same from the outside. I was fortunate enough to have another Genesis and now my setup works fine I just wanted to document what happened to me to see if I could start a discussion that might help others effected by this issue.

Offline wilykat

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 06:22 PM »
If you can find, there are service manuals for most of Sega hardware. I've looked through them and there are many hardware revisions and some of them has known problem and required fixes such as one early version of 32x not making clean signal and needing a couple parts added.

Some of the hardware out there are not fixed by Sega, people who had them never noticed an issue and so they may throw a problem with ED.  You could check the service manuals to see what version you have and what kind of fix it needs.  Oh yeah check that white ribbon cable, it's almost always the cause.

Offline SmokeMonster

• Puzzle Bobbler
  • tsst tchh chh ch ch ch
    • View Profile
    • SmokeMonster YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2014, 05:14 AM »
Works perfectly on both of my Genesis/32X/CD combos. It must be something with your Genesis--not enough power as a result of a bad or failing capacitor for example.